Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,537,539 times

Advertisements

I really don't know what is up with a lot of the younger generation and their seemingly inability to train their dogs???? A lot of my kids and their friends have dogs that they can't seem to even housebreak. I just can't figure it out.

On Sunday my youngest son brought his 5 month old Rotti here and left her because she's destroying his house. She pees and poops everywhere and chews up everything. Well, to my utter amazement she is an excellent pup and it only took me one freakin day to house train her. When she got here you could lose a finger giving her a treat and that took me all of 2 minutes to cure and she now takes the treats with her lips instead of her teeth. She chews up the bones I make sure she has and she has chewed nothing else.

She is staying here a month but I suspect that when she goes home it won't take long before she's out of control again. Honestly it makes me feel like not giving her back to him. She's a great dog and I fear he will ruin her and a ruined Rotti is a menace. He should have gotten himself a Yorki or something like that.

PS, she has a problem I have not incountered before. She gobbles her food like I can't even believe. A big dish of food she will demolish in about 15 seconds. Anyone have any idea on how I can cure her of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,027,628 times
Spread her food out on a cookie sheet, it harder to gobble up that way. My dog use to eat to quick and I would make her look at me, tell her slow and then let her start eating again.

As for the training, you clearly have a smart grand-dog who wants to please you. Training your son to pick up where you've left off will be the challenge.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,370,618 times
I was just talking about this the other day! I had dogs my entire life until around 12 years ago. I just got a dog again a few months ago. I've noticed a few things since my 12 year hiatus. There seem to be a lot more theories on training than there used to be (I had never heard of using "time outs" for dogs back in the day or walking my dog with a halter). Many people could housebreak their pups a lot faster if they would step away from the screen and keep a closer eye on the pup and catch him DURING a piddle. Another thing I've noticed is the overuse of crates. I am a HUGE fan of proper use of crates, but it seems that too many people these days use them as a substitute for working with their dogs. I think it boils down to a generational thing: people these days want and expect things to happen instantly. They fall prey to the magic cure training methods and accessories we see plastered all over the internet, and don't seem to have the time and patience that training a dog requires or the ability to pay attention to their dog's cues. Common sense seems to be in shorter supply these days too. Sorry if I've offended anyone; I'm just relaying my observations.

Edited to add: The previous poster's suggestion about using a cookie sheet is a great idea.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,643,527 times
Cookie sheet is a good idea. There are fees bowl made specifically for the dogs that 'Woolf' their food down, the bowl has nubs in it so the dog is forced to slow down and eat smaller bites.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM

537 posts, read 1,762,996 times
another suggestion, since the pup is young and you're still in training-mode, is to hand feed. For each piece of kibble (or handful of kibble if you don't have a lot of time) have the pup work for it. We typically practice sit, stand, down, touch, wait and look. For the final morsel(s) we ask for a kiss.

We do this for the breakfast feeding. At dinner time, we give a bowl directly, but ask him to wait and look before he's released to eat. Since he's young, we also try to touch him while he eats so he gets used to the feeling. Most dogs don't take too kindly to being touched while they eat and find it a threat to their food. So if you start while they're young, they get used to it.

Our pup (now 9.5 months) was a very quick eater (dinnertime) until recently. I think he was worried that our older dog was going to get his dinner, and he wanted to finish quickly so he could check her bowl out, also. When we feed them together (at dinner time) we make both sit, wait, and look before releasing them to eat. The little guy is just now beginning to eat slower. I think it was a maturity thing where he needed to figure out that nobody was going to eat "his" dinner and there wouldn't be any left of his sister's to finish off.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,799,624 times
easiest way to take car of the Scarfing issue (and its a common issue) is 1: a "break-fast" bowl or make your own take a large bowl and then take a smaller bowl that will give about 4" gap around all edges if placed in the center. put smaller bowl UPSIDE DOWN in the bigger bowl and put the kibble in the "outer rim"
other options ive seen for this issue are things liek putting a LARGE rock in the middle of the bowl (something big enough she cant eat it lol) ect...anything to form obstacles to prevent the scarfing.

in terms of the originonal question...
lazyness, an "i want it now and dont want to work for it" mentality, and a "too busy" world...

Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,080,515 times
Most people are just too lazy and impatient. It took me six months to perfectly house train my dog. He's a stubborn breed and the idiots who had him before were trying to litter box train him so he was REALLY confused plus being a breed that's hard to train anyway....not a fun combo. My dog doesn't know how to play dead and do a million fancy tricks but he knows basic commands. Every dog should at least know the basics. I have a friend with big dogs and I love her and I love the dogs but going to her house drives me NUTS! The dog is always jumping on me and going crazy. He's so big he almost knocks me down. It isn't the dog's fault they have bad manners. How are they supposed to know if no one teaches them?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,537,539 times
There are some very good points here. We don't feed kibble at all. Our dogs are on a raw meaty bones diet. I had a little better luck wit her today with the wolfing. The hunks of meat were too big for her to wolf and she had to tear them up and chew them. I was worried though and stayed the entire time she ate in case she tries to swallow some huge piece and choked on it. I guess it's just natural instinct that she knew somehow she couldn't. I'm just making a treat for the dogs. A whole roasted beef heart. I roast it for about 4 hours at 250F and then cut it into little strips for treats. It'sway cheaper and healther than store bought treats.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM

32,529 posts, read 47,597,720 times
I'm not sure it is generational. Lots of people in my generation have untrained obnoxious dogs.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM

95 posts, read 308,198 times
I guess I fall in the "younger generation that cannot train their dogs"... Please help me! I've been trying to house break my puppy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs