Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times

Advertisements

i currently feed my dog Innova EVO dog food. i buy it because from my research it is the best food on the market. cost is not an issue. her coat is magnificent and she is all around healthy and i would love to keep her on the food. the only problem is that she is off and on with loose and firm stool. im not sure what the cause is but people are recommending i find another food.

the breeder had recommended eagle pack when i first purchased my puppy. ultimately, i chose a brand that is supposed to be higher quality. so that is one consideration. is there any other food recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs? she is an australian shepherd. my prior aussie had a sensitive stomach and it seems this one does also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM

369 posts, read 2,166,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i currently feed my dog Innova EVO dog food. i buy it because from my research it is the best food on the market. cost is not an issue. her coat is magnificent and she is all around healthy and i would love to keep her on the food. the only problem is that she is off and on with loose and firm stool. im not sure what the cause is but people are recommending i find another food.

the breeder had recommended eagle pack when i first purchased my puppy. ultimately, i chose a brand that is supposed to be higher quality. so that is one consideration. is there any other food recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs? she is an australian shepherd. my prior aussie had a sensitive stomach and it seems this one does also.

I'm going through the same Moderator cut: bleep with my manchester terrier.. I took him off of pro plan for a better food... and now he has loose stools.. I just dont get it.. Feed the dogs quality food, you get rewarded with pudding poop.. Feed them junk, and you got quality lincoln logs.. just makes no sense... I'm frustrated..

P.S I feed him wellness.. I've read nothing but good things about what your feeding your dog. I may try it next! Good luck sir!

Last edited by leorah; 06-23-2009 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Feed them junk, and you got quality lincoln logs..
im always watching the poop and when i am lucky enough to get lincoln logs its really exciting for me.

thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,259,707 times
I am currently feeding Nature's Variety Prairie to my dog Prairie: New Zealand Venison Meal & Millet Medley: Kibble Diet for Dogs | Nature's Variety (http://www.naturesvariety.com/prairie_dog_kibble_venison - broken link) She has food allergies and is a picky eater on top of that. I have had great results with this food. I used to feed her Solid Gold Wolfking WolfKing Adult Dog (bison) (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170 - broken link) and was very happy with that as well. Too bad I can't get the Solid Gold here .

Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,580,368 times
Quote:
im always watching the poop and when i am lucky enough to get lincoln logs its really exciting for me.

thanks
So called Junk food has higher percentage of fibers due to the corn .... High fiber concentration produces firm stool. I actually did a bit research on it and had some discussion with my Vet.

I recently adopted a GSD who was on corn rich food. I switched her over to Wellness Core. I like Core because it has less protein/higher fiber content than Evo. During the switch, she had loose stools but no diarrhea. I had a discussion with her vet, who laughed at me when I insist that corn based food is not good for my GSD.
However, she is right when she told me that fiber content is important for dog’s colon health. After much discussion, I picked up a bag of R/D from her (16% fiber with a lot of grain. It was designed for dogs that need to lose weight). I add 0.5 cup R/D into her food. Her stool firmed up beautifully. Afterward, I gradually reduced R/D and eliminated it completely. Now if I got loose stool, I supplemented with pumpkin to provide fiber content. I also actively search for good fiber supplement for my GSD. Any recommendation will welcome.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,304,968 times
Wellness Core and EVO are extremely rich foods. Many dogs cannot handle the high protein content in those foods. Orijen is another high protein food which many dogs have trouble with. Try a brand like Acana. It is a single protein, with much lower protein content, but still very high quality. Also, Fromm is excellent (the Four Star line). You can change flavors with each bag, since the only thing that changes is the protein source, so your dog will never develop an allergy to a particular protein.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Wellness Core and EVO are extremely rich foods. Many dogs cannot handle the high protein content in those foods. Orijen is another high protein food which many dogs have trouble with. Try a brand like Acana. It is a single protein, with much lower protein content, but still very high quality. Also, Fromm is excellent (the Four Star line). You can change flavors with each bag, since the only thing that changes is the protein source, so your dog will never develop an allergy to a particular protein.
thanks for the suggestions, i dont see those brands available in my area. here are the brands that the store i go to carries, any idea which ones have decent fiber content and top quality?

Blue Seal California Natural [LEFT]Innova Iams/Eukanuba[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Nutro Pro Pac[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Pro Plan Royal Canin[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Science Diet Sensible Choice[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Triumph Wellness [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [SIZE=5]Canidae Felidae[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[LEFT] [SIZE=5]Dr. Harvey's[/SIZE] and more.... [/LEFT]

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,566,316 times
Which EVO are you feeding? Chicken or Beef? Large bites or small bite?

I have heard a number of complaints with the large bite - I have had no real problems with small bites chicken but some dogs cannot tolerate chicken and may do better on another protein. Beef can be hard on a lot of dog.

In regards to corn - it is a common allergen but if your dog does not have that allergy.it is not a problem..........problem is most folks with decent foods don't use corn so there you have it.

A lot of the cheap foods do use beet pulp to artifially firm the stools - I agree canned pumpkin is a miracle drug. and cheap at Aldi's

Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM

220 posts, read 746,100 times
My Bully dogs, sensitive stomachs started out on Diamond Dog food recommended by breeder until recall (corn and glueten), we were lucky no contamination. I switched over to Royal Canin for bull dogs, had good luck for atleast 2 years then suddenly rashes developed between toes and on stomache. Went on antibiotics and now on very expensive Royal Canin Venison and Sweet potato Vet Perscription diet. No more rashes. My Female was especially effected, watery, soft stool and then constipation.
She developed bleeding from her butt. All testing for parasites and whatever else that cost an additional $250.00 smackers resulted in the diet change. I have read up on a few organic foods with low glueten, zero corn and most recommend rabbit or venison. I am looking into a company Timberwolf Organics. My vet said I could mix some of this food into the vet diet since it is compatible. I spend now about 60. per mth on vet diet food for 2 dogs, where I was around $30. on the royal canin. I believe I can get the food locally and not have to order online. Will give this a try. Amazing isn't it, god only knows what is in people food if animals are having reactions to foods. What ever happened to good ole Purina? Heck never had this problem back in my stone age days. LOL

Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,304,968 times
Quote:
thanks for the suggestions, i dont see those brands available in my area. here are the brands that the store i go to carries, any idea which ones have decent fiber content and top quality?

Blue Seal California Natural [LEFT]Innova Iams/Eukanuba
Nutro Pro Pac
Pro Plan Royal Canin
Science Diet Sensible Choice
Triumph Wellness
[SIZE=5]Canidae Felidae[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Dr. Harvey's[/SIZE] and more.... [/LEFT]
Hmm..Maybe you should try to work it out with EVO! Nutro, Pro Plan, Royal Canin and Science Diet are terrible quality, made of mostly corn and fillers. Canidae is iffy...some like it, some don't. They recently had a huge issue where they dieversified the grain in their food without notifing consumers, causing dogs to have intestinal issues from a rapid change in food, so many people don't like them.

I've never heard of Dr. Harvey's, but when I looked it up, it looks similar to the Honest Kitchen, where you mix it with water and add raw meat to it. I'm not sure if you want to go through that whole process.

Have you considered pre-made raw? Many stores sell it and my Bulldog is doing wonderfully on it, even though he is sensitive to most kibbles. Good luck in your search! I know how difficult it was to find the right food for my dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs