U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,824,048 times

Advertisements

We don't seem to have a chat thread in the dog forum so I figured I'd start one for those times when we want to share a little something but don't need a whole separate thread about whatever.

Please feel free to share some stories about your critters.

Tonight as I opened the cupboard where the dog food is kept Calypso, my crazy chocolate lab came running, as she always does, letting out the most excited yips and squeals and bouncing up and down as she waited for me to take out the container and start scooping. Her level of excitement is so over the top and I told her "Boo-Boo, it's just dinner, not a 100 million dollar winning lottery ticket".

"No, this is even better" would be her reply if she could talk. Silly dog!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM

453 posts, read 1,440,742 times
We've had our dog about a month now, she is settling in still. We have had two cats, one for 6 years, the other 12 years. Allie, the dog, keeps trying to get the 6 year old calico, Princess, to play with her.

Allie jumps around and keeps shoving her rear end into the cats face, while the cat hisses and swats at her. She will do it repeatedly in a "hey smell my butt, smell my butt! I swear I'm a good doggie, smeelll my butttttt" until the cat tires of her antics and walks away. This same cat is the one who instigates it all, btw. She follows Allie around and growls at her and starts to play, but in typical calico fashion, changes her mind midway and doesn't want to.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM

6,127 posts, read 9,311,892 times
Good idea. Wonder why we don't have a general chat thread in this forum. Poor Max has had an upset stomach this week. He's not acting sick, but just keeps having to go out more than normal. Maybe he's faking it because he gets special food when he's sick. He really loves pumpkin!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM

453 posts, read 1,440,742 times
You know, I have a ton of cans of pumpkin that we didn't use. I got it because I wanted to see if my girls would like pumpkiny baked goodness, but apparently they take after their dad. Weirdos! LOL

So, I have pumpkin and dogs, what can I do with it? Any treat recipes using pumpkin?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 AM

Leter today I'll be off to an adoption event at our local Petsmart with my one foster dog and another who is being dropped off to me by someone who can't come to the event. I hope we get a bunch of good applications like we did last month - adopted out 7 dogs that time, a record for us.

I sure wish the weather was nicer so that we could be outside but it's going to be too cold.

Oh, I checked with our moderator and was told that we can't have a Chat Thread as a sticky because C-D only allows a couple of stickies per forum but if this gets used enough it will stay near the top of the first page. So chat away.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,138,055 times
Quote:
So, I have pumpkin and dogs, what can I do with it? Any treat recipes using pumpkin?
I haven't personally made this, but the recipe comes from "Allrecipes" website (love this recipe website!), and the reviews are pretty positive, at least with some suggestion on changes to amounts. Some people had a bit of difficulty with the dough, but several reviewers suggested changing the amount of canned pumpkin from 1/2 cup to a full 1-cup measure (either that or add some water), and adding rolled oats, etc. Apparently dogs love the treats once they're made. If you want to read the reviews (a lot of people give good suggestions when an original posted recipe lacks something) just google Allrecipes and search for "Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats".

Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats

2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff.
Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,138,055 times
Quote:
Leter today I'll be off to an adoption event at our local Petsmart with my one foster dog and another who is being dropped off to me by someone who can't come to the event. I hope we get a bunch of good applications like we did last month - adopted out 7 dogs that time, a record for us.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 AM

An OK day at the adoption event, 2 decent looking applications for a blue tick and a hound and maybe 60 bucks in donations. I think lots of people were busy getting needed shopping done in anticipation of some sleet/snow in this area so there was not a lot of traffic at Petsmart.

Did get a chance to chat with one person who had adopted a blue heeler that had been one of my fosters about 5 years ago. She said Lucie is the best dog she's every owned, but spoiled rotten. Those are the kind of reports we love to hear.

Several of our volunteers are members of the pre-vet club at Virginia Tech and I gave them a copy of Pukka's Promise by Ted Kerasote since I think it's an important book and hope they will all share it and get something valuable from it.

My foolish goat is once again out of the pasture and hunkered down in from of the garage door, trying to get some protection from the sleet and rain. If he would just get himself back in the pasture he could get in to the old barn and at least stay dry.

Made several calls to try and find someone to do some fence repairs but no return calls yet.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM

6,127 posts, read 9,311,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
An OK day at the adoption event, 2 decent looking applications for a blue tick and a hound and maybe 60 bucks in donations. I think lots of people were busy getting needed shopping done in anticipation of some sleet/snow in this area so there was not a lot of traffic at Petsmart.

Did get a chance to chat with one person who had adopted a blue heeler that had been one of my fosters about 5 years ago. She said Lucie is the best dog she's every owned, but spoiled rotten. Those are the kind of reports we love to hear.

Several of our volunteers are members of the pre-vet club at Virginia Tech and I gave them a copy of Pukka's Promise by Ted Kerasote since I think it's an important book and hope they will all share it and get something valuable from it.

My foolish goat is once again out of the pasture and hunkered down in from of the garage door, trying to get some protection from the sleet and rain. If he would just get himself back in the pasture he could get in to the old barn and at least stay dry.

Made several calls to try and find someone to do some fence repairs but no return calls yet.
My family is in VA and said it's pretty nasty there. It's nasty here in CO too. Nasty everywhere it seems. Where the heck is spring? I had to put Max's sweater on him this morning. He really shivers when there's a lot of snow and temps in the teens. I feel bad for him. I wouldn't want to do my business in this kind of cold!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM

We've gotten a couple of inches of fat fluffy snow and the chocolate lab got a serious case of the zoomies when I let all the dogs out in it a short while ago. Frannie, the black lab likes to go to the top of the hill and slide down on her back, head first. What fun for them - me, I'd rather have spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs