Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM

179 posts, read 378,822 times

Advertisements

it was a tough decision for me to make, but after countless "marking episodes" and trying to hump everything in site, i decided to get him neutered. Although ,I am having feelings of guilt and sadness, I ultimately know this was the best thing for his health. He stayed at the vet overnight; what should i expect when I pick him up tomorrow morning? How should an owner care for their dog right after this kind of surgery?

He is a 1 yr old toy poodle weighing 8lbs.

Advice greatly appreciated. This is my first dog and I love him very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
When I got my pups neutered, I picked them up the same day. One was woozy from the anesthesia. The other one was fine, jumped out of the car, winced once, and then walked normally. It's really only a couple of stitches. Your pooch should be fine, just happy to be home!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Most dogs are just fine after the procedure. Just keep an eye out for any possible signs of infection, such as redness or swelling.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
He'll be fine. They will tell you to keep him quieter, which is difficult. Don't make yourself crazy about that either. Obviously, you wouldn't take him to an agility class! But keeping a young dog from running around at all is next to impossible, and he's unlikely to hurt himself.
Don't be guilty! By neutering him, you are preventing many health issues and of course, preventing him from getting at a female in heat and creating an unwanted litter of puppies. I hope it helps with the marking. It may or may not. But you've still done the right thing. If he's still marking, come back and we'll try to help with that issue.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Feeling guilty over neutering a dog? I think you are doing the responsible thing. Your dog will be fine. My son's pitt pup was neutered last Monday...Monday afternoon he was home early and still hyper. Don't worry. Just try to keep him from climbing stairs and jumping. My son had to hold food back for the day, anesthesia and possible tummy upset...but no real worries the Vet will send you home w/ instructions and possibly pain meds. He'll be fine.

Last edited by JanND; 03-22-2013 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: paragragh edit.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Just keep an eye out that he's not licking or chewing the stitches or glue, if your vet doesn't send him home with an e-collar.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
1: keep him "quiet" dont want hi doing too much running or juming ect and pulling those stitches, make sure hes not licking/chewing the insicion either...

2: expet him to be a little tender and look a little wincy when he walks...

3: he could be a little groggy for up to 3 days, different dogs react fdiferently to anesthesia

the good news is the neuter procedure is INCREDIBLY simple...
the bad news is boys tend to be the drama queens...

ive had female sspayed that come home and act like nothing ever happend and boys that come home after a neuter and lay around ighing and squeeking and such...and the spay is MUCH MUCH more involved/serious surgery LOL!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM

179 posts, read 378,822 times
Thanks everyone for replying, when I picked him up it was like nothing ever happened. He was so excited. The incision grosses me out and i can tell hes a little stiff then usual. But im just so happy to have him home

Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Hopefully the marking and humping everything will stop, but there is the chance it will not stop. It was good that you got him neutered, you did the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs