Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:41 AM

231 posts, read 237,143 times

Advertisements

I think the time is fast approaching for my old girl.
Her pain meds make her stomach upset and diahrrea. tried various ones, she has always had a very sensitive stomach.

She is 15 years old.

What was your experience.
Is there something I can give her orally at home first to knock her out before I take her to the Vet or have the vet come here.

I just don't want to let her go but I know I should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,994,544 times
Personally, I would find a vet to come to your home. Talk to a couple of vets first, have the one you feel most comfortable with come out and examine your girl, ask the vet any questions you have, how they do the procedure, etc. It is your choice whether the vet gives your pup a sedative first to relax them.
There are many benefits to having the euthanasia done at home- it is more comfortable for you and your pup- no stressful car ride then waiting to see the vet in a crowded waiting room, etc. Your pup can pass in the home she spent her life in, and on the bed she always loved, with you holding her. The vet will - at least in my experience - arrange for your girl's body to be either buried or cremated.
It is of course your choice, and a difficult one to make.
One thing I would suggest as well is that if you have other animals that you let them see her after she passes so that they know.
Hugs for you and your girl.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 AM

729 posts, read 1,508,361 times
I wouldn't knock her out first unless the car ride is stressful. Euthanasia is painless. Just be there for her and let her rest her head in your lap as she says goodbye. It will be harder on you than it is on her. I'm sorry :-(

If you look at it this way, this is the last gift we can give them. We can end their suffering and make sure their final days and moments are full of love. I've had the unfortunate privileged of sitting bedside while my mother in law died and later when my dad died. It's not always easy and I was upset that in this instance, we actually treat our pets better than the law allows us to treat family members. If I could have ended their suffering a few hours earlier I would have. I'm thankful we have the option to make the decision for our pets when the time comes so they do not have to suffer.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:37 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,597,249 times
There should be someone in your area who can come to your home and do it. If not don't "knock her out" before going to the vet. Just take her to the vet. The process is very simple and your dog won't feel anything. The vet will give her a sedative first so she will be unconscious when it happens.

I know this is hard decision. I have been there twice for horses I have owned and known. In my horse's case I made the decision before he was in a crisis so I had tome to decide and make his last days special. My friends old horse had a major crisis event and the decision had to be made suddenly and her horse was suffering while she made her decision. In both cases it was over very quickly. Don't let your animal wait until she is having a crisis where you are forced to let her go. Give her the dignity of a peaceful passing.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,202,035 times
I'm sorry. Most of us have had to make this decision in our lives. It's not easy but I think it is better than letting them "go naturally". I just don't understand that choice.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,129,128 times
Sorry, you have to go through this. There comes a time when their quality of life has declined. You will know and you are making the right choice so she doesn't have to suffer. Your vet can prescribe a pill, light sedative, if you feel more comfortable. It's all what you feel comfortable doing. If you want the vet to come to your home, do it. If you want to do go the vet, do it. Are you OK doing it at home and how will you feel after? I've gone to clients home for euthanasia. They feel it's better for the pet to be at home in a quiet, relaxing and familiar place. Either way, do what you think is best. ((hugs))

Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,129,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Personally, I would find a vet to come to your home. Talk to a couple of vets first, have the one you feel most comfortable with come out and examine your girl, ask the vet any questions you have, how they do the procedure, etc. It is your choice whether the vet gives your pup a sedative first to relax them.
There are many benefits to having the euthanasia done at home- it is more comfortable for you and your pup- no stressful car ride then waiting to see the vet in a crowded waiting room, etc. Your pup can pass in the home she spent her life in, and on the bed she always loved, with you holding her. The vet will - at least in my experience - arrange for your girl's body to be either buried or cremated.
It is of course your choice, and a difficult one to make.
One thing I would suggest as well is that if you have other animals that you let them see her after she passes so that they know.
Hugs for you and your girl.
I can't agree more.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 AM

231 posts, read 237,143 times
Thank - you for all your feedback.

I think I can hold off for another month or two at most before having to say goodbye to my sweet baby.

Needless to say it will be hard knowing this but she will get all the loving care that is possible ( though that has always been the norm)

This is so hard.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,387,009 times
While I've never had it done, I agree with those who suggest a home euthanasia if it's possible. Generally speaking, if the animal is old and in pain, having to take them in to the vet clinic can only add to the stress for both pet and owner.

When I had my almost 16-yr-old dog euthanized a couple of years ago, the first thing I asked was if they would put her fully under before administering the final dose. The reason I requested this was because a year or so prior to losing my dog, I had to have my beloved cat euthanized, and it did not go well. The vet gave him just enough of a sedative to calm him down, which worked well...the pain he was in went away and he began to purr in my arms...but when the final drug was given, Fritz had a reaction of absolute shock, pain and terror. It didn't last very long as the medicine stopped his heart completely about 10-20 seconds after that, but to me it felt like an eternity, and I tortured myself for a very long time over Fritz's passing, feeling that I'd caused him immense suffering at the very end of his life. It was a horrific way to say goodbye to a friend.

So when it came time to say goodbye to my beloved dog Kaya, I insisted that she be put under full sedation first, which the vet (at a different clinic) absolutely agreed to do. She was given the same dose of anesthetic that is normally used to sedate an animal who is undergoing surgery, and Kaya fell sleep in my arms, very calmly and peacefully, before she was administered the final medication. Ending her life was a difficult choice - it always is, isn't it - but she was at a point where she could no longer be comfortable without heavy doses of pain meds, and the tumours were quickly invading her internal organs. My son was due to come home in a month's time to see her, knowing her time was growing very short, and I felt horrible in not keeping her alive long enough for him to be able to do so, but I felt it was unfair to Kaya. The morning that I took her in to be euthanized, she had collapsed and was in pain (thus the emergency vet visit) and while the vet did say that increasing her pain meds would possibly allow her a bit more time - albeit in a hazy, drugged state - I just couldn't say yes to that. The fear of the pain meds not being enough, of her collapsing again and suffering...it simply wasn't in her best interest. So I said goodbye to my wonderful girl that day, and she passed very peacefully, and without pain.

(((Hugs))) to you for going through this; I think everyone here knows exactly how hard it is. May you feel as blessed at having had your sweet girl in your life, as I'm sure she has felt about having you.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,693,880 times
No need to knock her out. Whether the vet comes to you, or you end up going to them it's a quick peaceful process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs