Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

My son has a small (about 10 pounds) mixed breed (? Yorkie + chihuahua), male, about 2 years old.

He has a tendency to make urinary crystals and is on a renal diet.

Training is a problem, since he responds best to food rewards.

What would be the best training treats to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Choose something low in protien. Can the dog tolerate small bits of cheese from low-fat mozzarella sticks?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Would he like pieces of carrot? When I had a dog in kidney failure I'd give her low sodium Ritz crackers sometimes. She loved them. You'd have to break them in small pieces for training though, and you sure couldn't keep them in your pocket!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
My dogs love cucumbers, bananas, apples, but they're all hard to carry in your pocket. Possibly dried fruit, just look for the ones that don't have added sugar and junk.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
It probably depends on which type of crystals are forming. Dash had issues with Calcium oxalate stones and crystals and the vet said to avoid proteins and put him on a special diet and he said I could add vegggies to the diet as my dogs were big veggie eaters. Later I learned it was not the protein and food considered high quality proteins were ok as it is more the oxalates in the foods so Dash had to then give up one of his favorite veggies Brocholi

It was also more about keeping the PH of his urine in the right range as different types of crystals and stones form under different PH levels.

When Dash developed Cancer we had the problem that he was craving protein big time and would not eat other things so I did put him on a high protein diet much against my vets advice .Heck the cancer was going to kill him so why not let him eat what his body craved? and during that time his urine always came back no crystals, no stones.

Yahoo has a group that is about Canine Kidney issues and bladder stones and they can be of great help. If these are calcium oxalate there is a diet called the fuzzer diet which is a great option instead of the perscription diets and you could get ideas for snacks from that but if these are struvite it is a whole different group of foods and totally different urine Ph one needs.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Thanks to you all! I will pass on the recommendations.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Maybe some dried sweet potato chips? Though, I'm hesitant to suggest anything that is dried because dogs with kidney problems need to hydrate more, not less.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,371 times
I have a 15 yr old westie with kidney disease so its a balance between feeding her the best diet for weak kidneys yet keeping her last months/years? happy with food she enjoys.

I read that you need to feed dogs with kidney disease the highest quality protein as that produces the least waste product/work for the kidneys and that the highest quality protein is raw meat and cooked eggs. So I feed Oasis pureed sweet potato & other veg & raw chicken which she absolutely loves.

But she is used to having a little bit of whatever I eat so I needed some kind of substitue treat.

I pureed courgettes and carrots, mixed with 2 eggs and a little piece of chopped brie (lower sodium than other cheese) and fried it in olive oil (low sodium, no phosphorous, antioxidant) to make a set omelette.

Amazingly although its 75% veg she just loves chunks of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs