Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkiv02 View Post
I have female American bully she has rash on her stomach , and its really swollen underneath her arm pits.. I'm thinking it's due to grass or food , right now she's eating bill jack . she's 9weeks old .. Not sure what to do ! She is the only puppy out of a litter of 7 that has this issue .. Please help
One word: Veterinarian!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Allergies don't normally show up in small puppies. I second going to the vet. Could it be the beginning of mange?

Old 07-05-2015, 01:26 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine. He has a 2 year old American Pitbull. His dog has always had this pink rash on his belly and toward his hind legs. He has changed food multiple times, put him on allergy medication, and tried some doggy steroids from the vet.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? The vet seemed to be of no help with the prescriptions, so it's got to be something environmental. Any ideas?

I went through the same thing with my Shepherd for many months.
I was at my wits end, and the vet wasn't helping much.
Finally took a culture of the rash, sent it to to a lab, and the results showed that it was a staff infection.
Also the antibiotic the vet had given him was not the correct one for this infection.
Meanwhile after prescribing the correct antibiotic, I still was at a loss as to what was causing the rash in the first place.
With the old antibiotic, the rash would clear up, then return three or four days after the pills ran out.

One day while I was home cleaning off the rear deck, the reason for the rash was sitting right in front of me, and I had never given it a thought.
The Shepherd had his own lounge chair out on the deck.
Her loved that thing, and slept on it most of the time when out on the deck.
Then I remembered, I had that lounge through two other Shepherds, and never cleaned it.

Once in a while I would vacuum it, but never washed it.
Immediately I threw it out, frame and all.
Put a new one in it's place, and the rash has not returned in two months,and he has been off the antibiotic for the same amount of time.

So, what I would suggest it for you to get the vet to take a culture of the rash, then he/she will know what it is, and what antibiotic to use on it.
Also change the dogs bedding.

Bob.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkiv02 View Post
I have female American bully she has rash on her stomach , and its really swollen underneath her arm pits.. I'm thinking it's due to grass or food , right now she's eating bill jack . she's 9weeks old .. Not sure what to do ! She is the only puppy out of a litter of 7 that has this issue .. Please help
Take her to the vet NOW. Swelling underneath the armpits I don't believe is a sign of allergies. I've never seen allergies manifest like that and as someone else said she's really too young for them to be a problem. She may have an infection (which can sometimes look like a rash and might be the reason for the swelling).

Since she is so young you need to get it checked ASAP. Small puppies can go downhill quickly.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine. He has a 2 year old American Pitbull. His dog has always had this pink rash on his belly and toward his hind legs. He has changed food multiple times, put him on allergy medication, and tried some doggy steroids from the vet.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? The vet seemed to be of no help with the prescriptions, so it's got to be something environmental. Any ideas?

Sounds like contact dermatitis. He may be allergic to grass, or whatever they use to clean the floors with. Also, you may need to buy prescription diet. I have a Jack Russell who is allergic to commercial brand dog food. I put him on Purina prescription diet HA (hypoallergenic). He has no problems now.

The swelling could be lymph related, you need to take him to the vet.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 24,419 times
I have noticed with my dogs it tends to happen when they are outdoors and run around a lot on grass. Turns, out it looks like they have an allergy to it apparently. I know, what are the chances they both do, but maybe it's because the grass of my neighbor is likely treated. so to play it safe I now give them a bath. This helped me understand potential causes of this type of skin problems: rash on a dog's belly.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:16 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,657 times
This is a really old thread, so OP probably won't be back to see it and being they just posted pics of 3 different random dogs not even sure the post was legit. It would hell if posters put pics of the actual dog with what the rash looks like.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:58 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Let me tell you a little story about my German Shepherd.

A little over two years ago, he developed skin rashes on his belly, and between his rear legs.

Tried everything in the book to cure this, thinking it could be food allergy, environmental, and nothing worked, including antibiotics.

I will say the antibiotics took them away for a week or so.

Finally my new vet suggested taking a blood panel.

What resulted was a hypothyroid condition.

Put him on thyro caps(which he will take for the rest of his life) and he is completely cured.

No more rash, the extra weight he put on for no reason, has gone, and he is much more active.
He is finally back to his old self.

I would suggest to anyone that has a dog with skin rash, to first check for a thyroid problem before doing all those other things that don't solve the problem.

Bob.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
We adopted a rednose pitbull that has been dealing with a red rash on his tummy and in the creases of his hind legs on and of for over a year now. The vet has given him antibiotics which semi cleared his rash never completely. The vet has him on Royal Canin Ultamino bc I've tried so many different food and nothing seemed to help. I've given him benadryl nothing seems to clear his rash. Now I give him coconut oil daily waiting to see if this will work. I'm online daily looking for help but cant seem to get this rash under control. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2018, 02:48 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
You could be dealing with a yeast infection, Does the rash smell at all? A yeast infection us usually in the gut as the gut normal flora is out of balance so not healthy. The toxins escape via the skin so you often get rashes, itching chewing, odor and treated with antibiotics and baths etc usually will not clear the issues up and can make it worse as Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the gut making it even more out of balance.

I would get the dog on some digestive enzymes with pre and post biotics to help balance the gut, my digs are on these and get them everyday and have never had skin issues and I can feed them new foods without fear of diarrhea as they have healthy guts. Your digestive system is very responsible for your immunity so keeping it healthy is important.

I would also be feeding a high quality food and supplementing it with Fish or flaw oil to get more Omega 3 oils in it I myself feed a raw diet but it is not something everyone wants to do and vets are usually against so even just adding some healthy human foods like meat scraps and cooked veggies to a dogs diet can help. It could also be an allergy to something in the diet or even to something in the environment but I would still start with trying to het the gut balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs