Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,520 times

Advertisements

I'm heartened to see some progress happening in the movement to educate owners on their dogs' communication strategies rather than always putting the responsibility on the dog to understand the human's language.

This blog article outlines 6 common signs of a stressed-out dog, complete with some excellent video examples.

Do You Recognize These 6 Signs of a Stressed-Out Dog? | 3 Lost Dogs

My hope is that as more owners become aware of what their dog's are trying to communicate, we'll see a reduction in issues such as dog bites, chronic and acute anxiety, 'fear aggression', reactivity, dog park drama, and even resource guarding.

The first step to working through a problem with our dogs is to identify the cause. Too many times owners will punish or correct their dog for "misbehavior" when really the dog was trying to send signals that went unacknowledged by the owner. Other times the signals themselves are misinterpreted as disobedience, disrespect, or distraction when in reality the dog is trying to tell you something important.

Hope you enjoy the link. I know I'm largely preaching to the choir on this matter, but maybe some of you know a few owners who could benefit from the information in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
Good information to know, thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
Dog body language is fascinating and something all of us can improve on. What I found especially interesting with the rottweiler is that he didn't seem to pick up on the warning signs either. If another dog doesn't see it coming, I'm not sure how well we humans can.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Dog body language is fascinating and something all of us can improve on. What I found especially interesting with the rottweiler is that he didn't seem to pick up on the warning signs either. If another dog doesn't see it coming, I'm not sure how well we humans can.
Some dogs just don't seem to read other dogs well. Especially very dog friendly dogs seem to think all the world will love them. But if you look at the way the Malinois freezes, you know something is coming. My dogs sometimes both freeze in play, then resume with extra energy, but that whole body language of the Mal made me say "uh oh!". Good thing it was just a warning and they worked it out!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
That is a very good and instructive link, but it's just a riff on Turig Rugas's "Calming Signals." Which has spawned books and videos and seminars and training methodologies galore; she was on the forefront of the "positive training" movement.
The authors of that commercial link are trying to sell services without acknowledging the basics of their product which seems a bit cheesy to me. You don't get complete information from that site without paying for it.

Turid and Calming Signals:

https://www.google.com/search?q=calm...ient=firefox-a

And as to the OP, yes I do. Also, humans can communicate back with calming signals. Trying to calm and attract a nervous or stresed dog? Bend down and pretend to be fascinated with a spot on the ground. (It really works!) I have more tips but you'll have to pay me for complete information.
LOL and just kidding.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I'm heartened to see some progress happening in the movement to educate owners on their dogs' communication strategies rather than always putting the responsibility on the dog to understand the human's language.

This blog article outlines 6 common signs of a stressed-out dog, complete with some excellent video examples.

Do You Recognize These 6 Signs of a Stressed-Out Dog? | 3 Lost Dogs

My hope is that as more owners become aware of what their dog's are trying to communicate, we'll see a reduction in issues such as dog bites, chronic and acute anxiety, 'fear aggression', reactivity, dog park drama, and even resource guarding.

The first step to working through a problem with our dogs is to identify the cause. Too many times owners will punish or correct their dog for "misbehavior" when really the dog was trying to send signals that went unacknowledged by the owner. Other times the signals themselves are misinterpreted as disobedience, disrespect, or distraction when in reality the dog is trying to tell you something important.

Hope you enjoy the link. I know I'm largely preaching to the choir on this matter, but maybe some of you know a few owners who could benefit from the information in the article.

What a timely post, thanks so much, Coach. My heart is breaking right now. Karma is having terrible behavior problems, zoning out, bolting from us, running off -- and for a few months she was doing really well. We have let her down in the training department, and I've suspected all along that she's very stressed and lacking in confidence. She also might not be feeling 100%, but after $600 in vet visits and tests last week, we can't find anything physically wrong.

I am very even tempered when she acts out. If I get angry, she will only retreat from us more. Tonight she bolted from my husband outside, leash and all. She ran into the road, and we couldn't corral her. I finally ran to the garage and got into the Jeep. Karma can never resist a ride in the Jeep, and that is how I got her back. My husband was prepared to leave her to fend for herself, he was so angry. I would have done anything to get her back. She means the world to me, being our safety net after losing Jimmy and Hallie last fall. I really want to do right by her. If training isn't enough, we will see a behaviorist. If that doesn't work, we will try medications. In any case, we are looking at fencing. She has to be kept safe.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I agree it's interesting how some dogs ignore or don't seem to understand certain signals from other dogs. I think that's where the owner can be really helpful in observing dog-dog interaction and watching for subtle signs. If one of my dogs was going to sniff another dog and I picked up on that dog freezing up, looking away, etc. that's where I'd casually step in and redirect my dog, without any hint of correction or punishment, just giving my dog something else to do so that the other dog has no need to escalate.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
What a timely post, thanks so much, Coach. My heart is breaking right now. Karma is having terrible behavior problems, zoning out, bolting from us, running off -- and for a few months she was doing really well. We have let her down in the training department, and I've suspected all along that she's very stressed and lacking in confidence. She also might not be feeling 100%, but after $600 in vet visits and tests last week, we can't find anything physically wrong.

I am very even tempered when she acts out. If I get angry, she will only retreat from us more. Tonight she bolted from my husband outside, leash and all. She ran into the road, and we couldn't corral her. I finally ran to the garage and got into the Jeep. Karma can never resist a ride in the Jeep, and that is how I got her back. My husband was prepared to leave her to fend for herself, he was so angry. I would have done anything to get her back. She means the world to me, being our safety net after losing Jimmy and Hallie last fall. I really want to do right by her. If training isn't enough, we will see a behaviorist. If that doesn't work, we will try medications. In any case, we are looking at fencing. She has to be kept safe.
You have got to get this cheap little booklet called Really Reliable Recall Really Reliable Recall Booklet: Leslie Nelson: Amazon.com: Kindle Store That method is super effective for building a solid "Come" command.

Also love Pam Dennison's whistle recall: Whistle, Lanyard, Leather Tracking Harness, Books and DVDs by Pamela Dennison's of Positive Motivation Dog Training!

Fencing is of course a very wise idea too.

If you ever find yourself calling your dog and she's not coming, try the following techniques:

- Run AWAY from the dog making a high pitched, fun noise. Use the chase instinct to your advantage - instead of chasing your dog, entice her to chase you right home!

- Lay on the ground and twitch like a dying bug. Few dogs can resist their owners in such a position!

- Get a squeaky toy or rattle some kibble around in her food dish. These sounds may bring her running to you.

- Like you did Tina, offer to go for a ride if this is something your dog loves. (The thing is you have to then actually take your dog for a spin when she does come in order for this trick to continue working.)

Never punish a dog when she finally comes to you, no matter how long it took to get her to do so! If she thinks she may get punished, she will avoid coming to you. Provide as much safe off-leash freedom as possible so that freedom does not become a scarce resource to your dog. When a dog perceives freedom as a scarce resource, she is likely to take full advantage of it at any opportunity because she knows those opportunities are so limited.

Last edited by k9coach; 04-10-2013 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs