Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM

95 posts, read 308,009 times

Advertisements

I got him the Blue Buffalo Chicken Jerky... did not read the label on it carefully... it is not meant for puppies... My guy is only 4 months. He has had diarrhea since. He has pudding stool since. Went to the Vet, tested the fecal, positive for tape and whipp parasites. Taken 1 pill of Drontal Plus. Have not seen any parasites in the stool. Stool is still soft and pudding-like. He goes almost every 2 hrs at night.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I am putting him on a blend diet: white rice with cooked chicken and cooked pumpkin. That had helped him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,637,989 times
It may not be meant for puppies based on their chewing abilities and not its food content.
So my guess is that your puppies stool problems are not related to the jerkey. A bit of extra fiber in the puppies diet will help. And since you have been to the vet, if there was something more serious, they would have mentioned it.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,784,276 times
the jery has nothing to do with the worms...the loose poop (pudding consitecnty is NOT an emergency) could be simply tthat the treats didnt agree with him...(othing to do with the not for puppies and everything to do with ingredients) or more likely the upset tummy is the direct result of parasites.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,305,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietlOtUs View Post
I got him the Blue Buffalo Chicken Jerky... did not read the label on it carefully... it is not meant for puppies... My guy is only 4 months. He has had diarrhea since. He has pudding stool since. Went to the Vet, tested the fecal, positive for tape and whipp parasites. Taken 1 pill of Drontal Plus. Have not seen any parasites in the stool. Stool is still soft and pudding-like. He goes almost every 2 hrs at night.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I am putting him on a blend diet: white rice with cooked chicken and cooked pumpkin. That had helped him.

My guess is that it's the worms that gave him the diarrhea. The treats didn't help, but he'll be fine. Some canned pumpkin in his food will help firm things up.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,005,449 times
When my dog's have had worms I find the treatment works right away. As in the next stool or next day everything is firm again. Maybe call your vet and ask how long it is supposed to take with that pill. Is there any chance the dog spit it out and didn't eat it? Maybe have him retested to see if there are still worms. I had one time where my dog caught a rabbit with fleas the same day she got the treatment. She seemed to clear up the worms for about two or three weeks and then she got loose stools again. We retreated her as I think the flea's she swallowed reinfected her and she has been fine since. But then she hasn't caught any more bunnies.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 PM

95 posts, read 308,009 times
My puppy is a shih tzu. The only way he could have eaten or come close to fleas and flea eggs are from the park or from my brother's dogs. He is 100% in door dog. He does not roam outside without supervision.
The Vet subscribe 1 pill of drontal 22.7mg. He is to come back at the end of April for the second pill and then his fecal is to be tested again at the end of May. I have not seen any tape segments in his pudding-like stool. Yes, it is gross but I do go through his stool (it stinks sooooooooooooooooo bad) to check for suspicious things... i found 3 tiny bone fragments this morning. I believe he had swallow them from my brother's since my brother does feed bones to his dogs.

I hate the whole worm thing... I wish all dogs have the ability to fight them. It's a pain to see him go through the series of diarrhea and also painful for me to miss sleep on school nights. I can catch up on sleep anytime... so that's not a problem... I am just worried that he's not feeling well.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,305,246 times
Quote:
My puppy is a shih tzu. The only way he could have eaten or come close to fleas and flea eggs are from the park or from my brother's dogs. He is 100% in door dog. He does not roam outside without supervision.
The Vet subscribe 1 pill of drontal 22.7mg. He is to come back at the end of April for the second pill and then his fecal is to be tested again at the end of May. I have not seen any tape segments in his pudding-like stool. Yes, it is gross but I do go through his stool (it stinks sooooooooooooooooo bad) to check for suspicious things... i found 3 tiny bone fragments this morning. I believe he had swallow them from my brother's since my brother does feed bones to his dogs.

I hate the whole worm thing... I wish all dogs have the ability to fight them. It's a pain to see him go through the series of diarrhea and also painful for me to miss sleep on school nights. I can catch up on sleep anytime... so that's not a problem... I am just worried that he's not feeling well.

They can and do get them anywhere. With dewormers like Drontal or Panacur, worms are nothing to worry about at all. Every puppy gets them, often several times. Our girl had them at 9 months, no big deal. Our 9-week old pup will almost certainly get them again, but he's fine for now.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,405,807 times
Quote:

Just because your dog is 100% indoors does not mean it cannot get fleas. Years ago I had 3 purebred cats that were 100% indoor cats. No other animal came in or out of our apartment. They ended up getting fleas so bad I had to take them out into my car and bomb the apartment and at the same time take them to get flea baths. I have no idea how the fleas got in there, but they did. I knew someone that had a dog and the same thing happened to her.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,005,449 times
Worms can come from ingesting contaminated soil, water, infected fleas, other animals such as mice etc. Puppies are always sniffing around in the grass, dirt, licking things and many dogs seem to love sniffing other dog's poop which can contain worm segments. My vet says you have to be careful of reinfection because the eggs can live in the soil for a long time. If your puppy has worms your brother might want to get his dogs treated too.

Last time my dog had them I hadn't seen anything in her poop until a round worm came out. Then after treatment dead tapeworm segments were in her poop but only on the very next poop after treatment. Her poop had started to get a sort of slimy look so that should have clued me in but I was slow to realize what was happening.

In terms of fleas your dog doesn't have to have them in her fur to ingest one. My dog has never had fleas. But when she catches a rabbit with them she comes whining and complaining to us and we know what happened right away. I put her in the tub and pick them off her face. Then she gets an anti flea herbal bath and we put some diatomaceous earth in her fur. So far she has never contracted the fleas but then she does sometimes get the tapeworms after this and we know she swallowed some fleas while the bunny was in her mouth.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,493,811 times
I hope your puppy is feeling better and the worm medicine works.

One thing that really should check with the vet is if your puppy was checked for parvo. It can hit them suddenly and until they've had all the boosters, they aren't immune to getting it. It is a very serious disease, and please check with your vet immediately just to set your mind at ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs