Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times

Advertisements

Some are less likely to cause allergies because they don't shed, but some people can still be sensitive to non-shedding breeds. There is no dog that is 100% hypoallergenic for every person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
According to Obama and Senator Kennedy, the breed that Bo is is suppose to be hypoallergenic ~ Water something?
Portuguese Water Dog...but they are not small dogs like then OP wants.

OP, I've had big dogs most of my adult years but since we travel with our dogs, we needed to downsize and now have Boston Terriers and a French Bulldog. Bostons are great small(er) dogs, are devoted pets, love their humans, travel well, are energetic, fun and smart, easy to train, hardly shed, no grooming needed other than an occasional brushing and bath.

Having said this, my sister has a Maltese and a Yorkie...she loves both these breeds.

I'm glad you're giving a lot of thought about which breed will best suit your lifestyle. Just remember your commitment is for the life of the dog...for better or worse...and do be prepared financially for whatever may come up. Dogs get sick, have diseases, accidents and deep pockets are often needed. Example, in just four weeks I had vet bills in excess of $4000. One dog needed arthroscopic surgery on both elbows...the other had an eye ulcer that wasn't healing well. Just putting that out there.

Good luck. Lots of great advice has already been given.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
It is a popular breed, research a good breeder or get in touch with a yorkie rescue in your area. DO NOT get from a petshop/puppymill, you may have health and temperment issues. Also research the breed's common health issues, so you can ask informed questions of the breeder. Even so-called "good" breeders may not be once held under the microscope A good breeder may put you on the waiting list for a pet quality dog, since most will not sell show quality pets except to other breeders. But it is worth it, sounds like you have time to wait!

Little dogs can be crate trained which is good. I highly recommend it at least til they are housetrained and are past the puppy chewing stage. Leaving them alone when they are still little can be deadly as they are a threat to themselves. Think leaving a 3yo in the house alone is a good idea? NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs