U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM

15,719 posts, read 14,598,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
I have a larger dog and just ordered pepper spray to carry in case of an off leash/loose dog

This is a great blog article on dealing with off leash dogs and different ways to deal with it.
Hello Off Leash Dogs. Meet My Friend Direct Stop. | notes from a dog walker
You're right....great article! Thanks for posting it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,211,078 times
I think pepper spray should use with care and should use as the last resort. Pepper spray may startle the unwelcomed dog. The unwelcomed dog may become disoriented and aggressive. So, use with care. In my area, I know a case that a big dog bit a small dog after the big dog was pepper sprayed. The big dog is usually a friendly dog. After a court fight, the big dog owner won since the small dog owner used pepper spray that disoriented the big dog. The fight was triggered by pepper spray.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 AM

4,725 posts, read 16,390,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
" No, Go Home, " hahahaha, like it's actually going to listen
It has worked for me and the dog lived a block away.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM

6,954 posts, read 20,471,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
It has worked for me and the dog lived a block away.
This has worked for me, too, on more than one occasion! A strong "go home" as turned an approaching dog on its heels. I believe this is the first thing to do. There are people in my rescue groups who keep an air horn handy at home to break up dog fights. They say it works really well. When you foster dogs this happens sometimes and can really shake you down to the core if you are home alone and a dog fight breaks out. This is not too different from the situation of loose dogs because a dogfight is a scary thing whether you know the dogs or not. They can go into the "red zone" and be totally out of control. Anyone who owns dogs should have a basic "Plan A" for dealing with dogfights. I must admit I don't have pepper or bear spray or an air horn. Here in Texas, its not that unusual for people to carry concealed weapons and every couple of years the local newspaper will carry a story of a person shooting a dog during a dogfight at the dog park. I don't normally carry a gun, but I would if I was walking alone in a strange area. Yesterday I walked my dogs in a park I had never been to before. It took winding paths that backed up to small older homes -- some of them in pretty bad condition. I started to worry about stray dogs because fences looked compromised on some of the properties. I wished I had a gun on me, but instead we turned around and quickly returned to the car. I am going to get some pepper spray.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM

689 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Most of the people I see walking in my neighborhood carry a stick or a baseball bat. The cyclists carry pepper spray.

There are packs of strays that live in the fields around here.
sounds like a pleasant place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or