Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
and adopt an OLDER already trained dog with no issues...
No, preferably they wouldn't get any dog again.

To the OP: If you're not willing to work with a certified trainer or behaviourist (not just some obedience classes), you shouldn't have any dogs. It's clear from your answers that you haven't for any significant amount of time, you just want quick answers from them. Puppies are not blank slates either, and dogs are not to be thrown away because you're not willing to do adequate work. They are living creatures, not inanimate objects. Whatever puppy you get will be like this dog now, dumped a few months down the line for someone else to pick up the pieces of.

The dog is pulling you on walks? Have you even tried any basic methods like getting a head collar? I've seen hyper 100 lb dogs made of pure muscle easily controlled by 100 lb women as soon as a head collar is put on them. They work. They pull, their head gets turned around the other way. It's basic stuff that you should have found as soon as you started any research on it, but I suspect that as soon as this dog turned out to be work, you gave up, just like the original owner did.

As for most of your negatives, you clearly never did a lick of research on the high intensity herding breeds before you adopted one.

Owners should be licensed, not dogs.

Last edited by sparrowmint; 04-13-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparta45 View Post
I can never relax around her when I am out and about.
^ That right there is the heart of the issue. If you can never relax, your dog will never relax.

For the dog's sake I hope you will return her to the shelter so that they can re-home her. She is extremely stressed with you.

A mellow senior dog would be the best fit for you, however I feel that when someone returns / dumps a dog their "adoption card" should be suspended if not revoked. Don't rush out and acquire a new dog right away. Give yourself some time to observe group training classes in your area, attend some behavior workshops and seminars, and read up on canine ethology, operant conditioning, counter conditioning, positive reinforcement, body language, clicker training, nutrition, etc.

Look for books (and websites) by Karen Pryor, Patricia McConnell, Kathy Sdao, Turid Rugaas, Jean Donaldson, Pam Dennison, Pat Miller, Grisha Stewart, subscribe to Whole Dog Journal.. (Skip any books by Cesar Millan, The Volhards, and the Monks of New Skete). Watch Youtube videos of KikoPup and Victoria Stilwell. Do a lot of learning before you even think about getting another dog. And NO PUPPIES FOR YOU! As you said, you don't have time to potty train. You CAN easily screw up a young pup. It is less likely that you will screw up a 9 year old, already "perfect" dog.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 8,586 times
Thanks for the advice. I will have to make up my mind at some point.

The problem is that for every person who tells me "do the work, keep the dog" I have the same number of people telling me "life is too short to deal with a crazy dog, return her and take your time getting another one".

Meanwhile I have my relatives telling me that I am nuts for not immediately returning a dog that doesn't like people and is capable of injuring me.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Read these two books and take them to heart.

Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Suzanne Clothier

The Other End of the Leash: Patricia McConnell

Your dog needs and wants a leader. She does what she does because she can and because she don't know any better or want to behave as you want her to. You might be shocked to find out how a dog's behavior turns around when you establish yourself as the "benevolent leader". It also takes a lot of pressure off the dog to know you are her loving leader and she can follow you. I know this because I have lived it.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out whether to return a dog I just adopted 6 months ago back to the shelter she came from (australian shep mix). The shelter says they will take her back anytime. She has so many negatives that I am having a hard time forming a bond with her because she is just so annoying:

Negatives:

Pulls on leash after anything that moves, I predict a dislocated shoulder or elbow in my future.
Doesn't like strangers, barks and growls at strangers, I can never relax around her when I am out and about.
Has a lot of anxiety, panting, always panting and hyper in the morning or if someone comes to my house.
Not that affectionate, seems to have a mind of her own, doesn't come when called etc.
Overly protective, doesn't want to leave my side, goes nuts/hyper if anyone comes near me.

Positives:

Smart and picks up commands in 5 minutes.

You know, I never used to believe all the people who say "there's a reason the dog was given up or left a stray, it's because the dog has issues". Now I am really starting to believe that, and I guess I should have gotten a puppy to get a dog with no "issues". Then again, I don't really have the time to housetrain a puppy......
I would have questions for you about your post - not too judgemental I hope, as I can empathize with having a dog who has issues:

At what point in your 6-month ownership did you first recognize that your dog had problems?
Have you considered bringing in a behaviourist for these issues?
Have you looked at it from the dog's POV (point of view)?

First, as an attestment to so many wonderful dogs out there in animal shelters today, I must speak up for them and say that so many dogs who wind up in shelters do NOT have behavioural issues...or at least, had none prior to being turned over to the shelter. I used to volunteer for an animal shelter, and the sad fact of many shelters is that they are overcrowded, and to expose a dog who was lost, or whose owner decided to give them up, to such a stressful environment is, of course, going to have some adjustment issues when first adopted. Most, however, do go on to settle in to their new homes without incident, and most make absolutely wonderful companions. Some will have issues that extend beyond the first couple of weeks, and will need extra work and love, but that should be expected. Imagine for a moment if you are a dog...you have lost your human (or humans), the ones you solely depended upon for food, shelter, and love, and you are thrown into an alien environment where so many other dogs are also housed, barking incessantly, designated to a cage, and you have no idea what is going on? Myself...I can only imagine what kind of mental torture this must invoke in an otherwise loving pet. Yet all it takes is the patience and understanding of one person to turn all of this around again, if the dog is given the opporunity.

I am the owner of a 2-yr-old border collie who has developed some fairly serious issues of his own. He's an anxious dog, and while he does like people, he is afraid of anyone he doesn't know. Upon meeting a new person he gives a single woof, which appears to be a friendly bark...but I've learned to interpret it as his saying, "I want to meet you but I'm nervous, so please don't come too close right away". If the person were to walk toward him after that initial woof he would begin backing up; if the person continued to approach he would try and turn away. If, for some reason, he became cornered and the person still approached, he would jump up and bite. And it wouldn't be his fault. The onus would be on me, his owner, to recognize his anxiety and to make sure that everyone around him respected it, and gave him his space. The onus is also on me, as his owner, to try and do everything possible to help alleviate that anxiety. In other words, get to the root of the problem...working with a behaviourist if necessary...and help the dog overcome his fears. My dog also has food guarding issues, brought on from a bad environment by the 'breeder'...but no matter where it came from, again...the onus is on me to fix it, or to at least help my dog let go of his fears as much as is possible. As you have already surmised, he did not come from an animal shelter, he came from a border collie breeder who didn't raise the pups properly. And now the responsibility for this dog's life is on me.

My first suggestion would be for you to assess whether you want to keep this dog. Challenges? Yes, most definitely, from what you've described. But IF you are committed to being responsible to your dog's welfare, then you will look into finding a good dog trainer or behaviourist who works solely with positive methods, and who will train not only your dog, but will also explain to you WHY your dog is doing "x" and what you can do to help reverse it. Understanding the actions of a dog who has issues is more than half the battle; wanting to help the dog is the rest.

If you truly don't feel you want to keep the dog, then surrender her to someone who is willing to help her. You may not be a right fit for this dog...but your post also suggests (from what you wrote) that you aren't quite willing to put in the extra effort required to get to the meat of the problem and work from there. Exercise and walks are all well and good, but do nothing to help a dog who may be fearful and anxious. This is what you need to explore and work out. Not everyone is cut out to do this; so in being absolutely honest with yourself over what you are, and are not, willing to take on will be the best thing you can do for this dog.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 PM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
A first time owner with an Australian Shepherd is asking for trouble. Did you adopt her from a "kill" shelter? If so, try to find her a home with someone versed in the ways of an Aussie. You owe her that.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
To the OP, I would suggest you return the dog to the shelter. Working with a dog like that can be difficult and often needs lots of work with a pro to turn it around. It sounds like you've done alot of right things by taking the dog to classes but sometimes it's not just going to work out and is not a match.

I understand the fear of getting injured when a dog has a high prey drive and they will yank you right off your feet, that has happened to me before.

DO NOT get a puppy they are major work for several years, I would suggest possibly working with a breed rescue who do really good evaluations of dogs and their temperments. You need to recognize what you really want in a dog and make sure you are going for the right breed of dog that meets your needs.

Working dogs often don't make the best pets if you don't have the time and experience to work with them correctly. Border Collies and Aussies have HUGE rescue operations because people bought "too much dog". While I have plenty of experience training dogs I know my limits and friends have BC's but I'd never get one, nor any of the big hunting breeds.

Spend time evaluating what you want your dog to be and start talking to breeders of these breeds, go visit them.

I for one have finally decided I will never own another herding dog no matter the size, they can develop OCD behaviors through out their lives and while SOME make good companion pets too many do not. I currently have a Swedish Vallhund who was a breeder buy back rehome and while he can be a good dog, he has major issues that are very difficult to deal with and believe me I've tried everything and will continue to do so for the rest of his life.

I continue to research breeds and know I will get an even smaller dog next time that has been bred to be a companion dog. While I love watching all the agility trials with the fabulous BC's and other breeds they can be He!! on wheels to deal with as a pet and I know for myself the next dog will have been bred specifically as a companion.

Soooo return the dog and spend sometime really thinking about what you want in a dog.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Take the dog back to the shelter.

Do not get another dog.
Couldn't agree more!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Couldn't agree more!
Right there too!

This dog is too much for you. I have herders and they need a leader that they trust and respect you are not that to this dog. Return the pup and give her a chance to find a good home. Then take a hard look at yourself and decide if you are truly capable of owning a dog, not everyone is. Basic walking on a leash is not that difficult to teach especially to a smart dog, however you must always be present, consistent and confident.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out whether to return a dog I just adopted 6 months ago back to the shelter she came from (australian shep mix). The shelter says they will take her back anytime. She has so many negatives that I am having a hard time forming a bond with her because she is just so annoying:

Negatives:

Pulls on leash after anything that moves, I predict a dislocated shoulder or elbow in my future.
Doesn't like strangers, barks and growls at strangers, I can never relax around her when I am out and about.
Has a lot of anxiety, panting, always panting and hyper in the morning or if someone comes to my house.
Not that affectionate, seems to have a mind of her own, doesn't come when called etc.
Overly protective, doesn't want to leave my side, goes nuts/hyper if anyone comes near me.

Positives:

Smart and picks up commands in 5 minutes.

You know, I never used to believe all the people who say "there's a reason the dog was given up or left a stray, it's because the dog has issues". Now I am really starting to believe that, and I guess I should have gotten a puppy to get a dog with no "issues". Then again, I don't really have the time to housetrain a puppy......
I hope that next time, you will research breed characteristics and temperament before getting a dog. The qualities you mention are fairly typical for an Australian Shepherd, especially one that has had a difficult personal history (like being dumped at a animal shelter).

If you want a quiet, docile dog, you might want to consider a small dog like a Maltese or Shih Tzu or Poodle.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs