Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 PM

92 posts, read 315,168 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So my wife and I recently adopted a 10 month female Miniature Schnauzer. We have an appt to have her spayed this Friday (hoping she doesn't go into heat by then; but that's another story.) Other than the first day, she hasn't had any accidents. We are having some issues with crate training, and are seeking some advice.

Just for reference, we live in a second floor condo unit; carpeted living room and bedrooms. On our balcony, I have set up a 4x2 grassy (porch potty) for her to use. We haven't had any luck with her using it as of yet. I am trying to make a crate a non-punishment place. We give her special treats when she goes in, feed her there, give her chew toys when we put her in there. She will walk into it without being forced.

The first night....we set up the crate in the living room (opposite end of the house as the bedroom.) I slept on the couch about 15 feet away with the tv on. She whined a little bit and then went to sleep all night until the morning. Perfect (minus the uncomfortable couch.)

The second night. We set up the crate in the same place, and went to bed (left the radio on.) She started whining, but that quickly changed to barking, followed by howling .) I moved the crate to the hallway just outside of our bedroom. We left our door open. She whined for a little, and then went to sleep.

So, I guess my question is, should we stick it out (leaving the crate on the opposite end) and trying to deal with the barking/howling? Hallway just outside of our room? Bedroom? We have thought about confining her to the kitchen, but I'm not sure if that would solve her barking. We have also debated leaving her alone, un-crated, but confined to a room, to see how well she would do. Still uncertain about that. Looking for suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,331,058 times
Pack animals often feel "wrong" sleeping isolated from their pack. Try the crate in the bedroom.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM

453 posts, read 1,530,531 times
We keep our crate down in our living area. It isn't feasible to carry it up and down the stairs. It is her respite away from the kids/cats when they get to be too much, it is where she naps. I go to bed before DH so the dog will come up with me and lay down for a while. When DH comes to bed, he puts her in her crate and covers it with a blanket. I've found that covering it for her helps tremendously.

I was also told that if you let the dog out or give it attention when they whine/bark then it can reinforce the behavior so that they know that whining/howling/barking will get them out of the crate.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,090,760 times
Since she's OK as long as she's crated near you at night, I'd just keep her crate in the bedroom. Sounds like you are doing everything right otherwise.

Or have two crates - one set up in the bedroom and another downstairs where she eats and spends time when you're home.

I wouldn't cave in to her barking and carrying on; Schnauzers are smart dogs and she'll quickly figure out that making lots of noise will get her what she wants! It sounds like her issue isn't being crated, but isolated... I would imagine she'd do the same thing when left in a room at night.

How is she when you're at work, or she's otherwise left alone? If there's someone home with her all the time and she gets distressed every time she's left alone in any situation, I'd wonder about separation anxiety.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,487,620 times
Peanut loves her crate, but she's a big ol' mama's girl. I've set up her crate right next to the bed, put a piece of plexiglass on top, and it's my nightstand!

She also has a pillow in the living room that she's decided is hers. It's in a corner between where I sit, and the wall. Those are the two spots where she is most comfortable, so that's where she's set up.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 PM

537 posts, read 1,761,478 times
We have two dogs, both crate trained. The older one no longer needs to stay in the crate because we can trust her as housebroken and that she won't chew things up. Our younger one is still crated at night. We used to crate him in the kitchen, while our bedroom is on the second floor. He would wake up, lonely, and bark. We've actually got 3 crates; one large, permanently in the kitchen, and two collapsible travel crates. We put one of the travel crates in our bedroom (we did the same with our older girl a couple of weeks before we were to travel so she'd get used to sleeping in the same room as us.) Now our pup sleeps in our bedroom. Seems to work like a charm. We do hear him when he wakes up and stirs, but he no longer barks unless he ~really~ needs to go out.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,777,079 times
personally id put the crate in the bedroom...
but if theats not where YOU want the crate, put he crate where you want it, and put up with some barking and howling
the key is consistency, ounds like shes doing reat and just wants to be neer you/able to hear you...so if our cinsistent and oly reward the positive behaviour hell get it pretty quickly.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think we will try just outside of the bedroom tonight (with the doors open.) Last night, I wanted to let her be, but when she started howling with how loud it was, I was concerned with upsetting my neighbors below. I was kinda worried about how moving the crate might reinforce bad behavior. We will gradually move the crate from the bedroom (or better yet hallway) to the spot we would like to put it. We do cover the crate (with the exception of the door), is it recommended to cover the entire thing?

I have crated her while I was out (about 3 hrs.) I leave the radio on pretty loud, and a tv. I've listened by the door and didn't hear anything. I think the crate barking is moreso when we she knows someone is home and she is isolated from them.

Her name is Eevee (my wife and I are both nerds), and she is pretty smart. We've taught her to sit, stay, down, and come within the last two days. She doesn't really bark at all, and is still curious about the world when we go on walks (I guess that's the puppy side to her.) Our next goal is to get her spayed; I'm not sure how that will affect her personality. She is a sweet dog though.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM

24,325 posts, read 26,716,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
Hello,
So my wife and I recently adopted a 10 month female Miniature Schnauzer. We have an appt to have her spayed this Friday (hoping she doesn't go into heat by then; but that's another story.) Other than the first day, she hasn't had any accidents. We are having some issues with crate training, and are seeking some advice.

Just for reference, we live in a second floor condo unit; carpeted living room and bedrooms. On our balcony, I have set up a 4x2 grassy (porch potty) for her to use. We haven't had any luck with her using it as of yet. I am trying to make a crate a non-punishment place. We give her special treats when she goes in, feed her there, give her chew toys when we put her in there. She will walk into it without being forced.

The first night....we set up the crate in the living room (opposite end of the house as the bedroom.) I slept on the couch about 15 feet away with the tv on. She whined a little bit and then went to sleep all night until the morning. Perfect (minus the uncomfortable couch.)

The second night. We set up the crate in the same place, and went to bed (left the radio on.) She started whining, but that quickly changed to barking, followed by howling .) I moved the crate to the hallway just outside of our bedroom. We left our door open. She whined for a little, and then went to sleep.

So, I guess my question is, should we stick it out (leaving the crate on the opposite end) and trying to deal with the barking/howling? Hallway just outside of our room? Bedroom? We have thought about confining her to the kitchen, but I'm not sure if that would solve her barking. We have also debated leaving her alone, un-crated, but confined to a room, to see how well she would do. Still uncertain about that. Looking for suggestions.
1) Why can't her crate be in your room?

I have the same setup as you. I live in a condominium on the third floor and I have a pee area on my balcony. I keep her crate in my room because if she can see me or at least know I'm not far, she won't whine/scream/howl. When I wake up, I immediately open her crate door and don't say a word, she will follow me straight to the balcony door and I say, go potty and she walks out and does her business. I follow up with praise and treats.

2) Do you have any other trouble with crate training or just the whining?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) Why can't her crate be in your room?

I have the same setup as you. I live in a condominium on the third floor and I have a pee area on my balcony. I keep her crate in my room because if she can see me or at least know I'm not far, she won't whine/scream/howl. When I wake up, I immediately open her crate door and don't say a word, she will follow me straight to the balcony door and I say, go potty and she walks out and does her business. I follow up with praise and treats.

2) Do you have any other trouble with crate training or just the whining?
1. We were trying to setup the bedroom and bathroom as off limit areas. We are hesitant to put the crate in our room as we worry that it would only condition her to never be able to be alone. The other thing we've noticed (just with keeping her in the hallway), is that we tend to keep each other awake. She hears us talking and wants to play and be near us. We hear her whining and cant sleep.

2. Other than the whining, we have no other problems with crate training. It's really just the whining, barking, and howling.

One good thing we noticed last night, is that there was no whining or anything. We put her in her crate around 10:00PM (she was already falling asleep on the floor), and she was out until this morning (7AM.) I'm not sure if it was because she was already tired given the time of day (versus putting her in early), or if we had tired her out over the course of the day?

Last edited by Randmness; 04-15-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs