Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

28 posts, read 113,752 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been with my boyfriend for three years and have been living with him for a year. I would really like to give him a black lab since he has wanted one his whole life. The problem with this is that he's allergic to dogs. It is around the mild to moderate range and he is highly allergic to cats, too. If he is around dogs for more than a hour then he gets the usual symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, itchy watery eyes but if he's around more than one dog for too long then his chest feels tight. I remember only one time he told me of this.) He gets hives if a dog licks him but I think his symptoms do get better with allergy medication. I was wondering how black labs fall allergy-wise because I do not want to cause him misery even if he does really want a black lab. Also, he has been getting allergy shots for a year so I'm hoping that they will help with his allergies.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I have a black Lab. But no allergies to animals.

There's no such thing as a really "hypoallergenic" dog and from what I understand, an individual might be OK with one dog or cat of a particular breed, but not another. It's not the fur but the skin (dander) and saliva that triggers allergic reactions. Out of curiosity I did a quick Google and found this - which is a generally excellent website:

Top 10 reasons not to own a Lab

Check the second bullet point.

I think with any individual who is allergic, the trick is to spend a little time with the potential pet to see if or how they react. A good friend of mine had wanted a cat in forever but was quite allergic...she spent time around different cats at rescue places and a couple of cat breeders and has now had a cat for five years she has almost no reaction to. It did take some trial and error, though.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Labs have a thick double coat, and they shed quite a bit. They also like to lovingly lick and 'slime' their people. It wouldn't be my first choice for someone allergic to dogs.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofkind View Post
Hi, I have been with my boyfriend for three years and have been living with him for a year. I would really like to give him a black lab since he has wanted one his whole life. The problem with this is that he's allergic to dogs. It is around the mild to moderate range and he is highly allergic to cats, too. If he is around dogs for more than a hour then he gets the usual symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, itchy watery eyes but if he's around more than one dog for too long then his chest feels tight. I remember only one time he told me of this.) He gets hives if a dog licks him but I think his symptoms do get better with allergy medication. I was wondering how black labs fall allergy-wise because I do not want to cause him misery even if he does really want a black lab. Also, he has been getting allergy shots for a year so I'm hoping that they will help with his allergies.

Thank you!
Your heart means well and your brain is preventing you from acting impulsively.

Please don't give a dog to someone with a known allergy issue. What happens to the dog if the allergy shots don't help? Many dogs are surrendered to shelters where they languish before being put to sleep to make room for the new arrivals.

I would suggest contacting a lab rescue group and looking into fostering a lab. This way 1) if the allergies act up you can end the foster; 2) If the allergy shots work, you can move forward with your plan.

Best of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
labs would be a no no they have a thick doily double coat that sheds HEAVILY! the oil in the coat also means more dander!....BUT...Id suggest looking into stanard poodle or portugese water dogs...they have the stigma...but ive yet to meet anyone who hasnt fallen in love once they spend time with them, they are both water retreiver breeds like the lab (so similar personalities) but due to the lower dander count and curly coat, they ted to be a little more allergy frinedly.

before buying or rescuing ANY dog howeve ri suggest meetins some and possibly even fostering to be sure as even poodles which are considered "hypoalergenic" can cause issues in some folks.

the only realy hypoalergenic dog breds are those with no hair...xolos, AHT's cresties, peruvian inca orchids ect all tend to be GREAT for allergy sufferers (no coat for allergy enducing dander to build up in) but obvisuly those breeds are not for everyone and the skin requires almsot as much upkeep as a curly coated breed.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Don't give your boyfriend a dog! The poor dog will end up in a shelter when you both realize he can't live with it. That's not fair to the dog.

Wait until he is completely done with his allergy shots. Then dog sit for someone to make sure he can live 24/7 with a dog and have zero symptoms.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
If his chest gets tight it could mean he has more then allergies he may have asthma too (you can develop asthma at any age) and allergies can be triggers for asthma. Asthma needs to be taken seriously as yes people die from asthma and during a bad attack the airways can swell and spasm so the completely close off within minutes of the trigger exposure. I recall a man from out of town coming n the ER with a very severe asthma attack and it happened suddenly after walking into a house with a dog ( yes he knew he was allergic to dogs but had never had this bad of a reaction). It took several days on a ventilator with large doses of drugs to get him over that attack. So with any chest tightness I would take that as a serious sign and stay away from dogs. Sorry.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Never ever give a live animal as a gift.

There are allergy shots for dog allergies. I suggest that your friend take the shots and see if they work. If he can then be around dogs, he makes his own decision to get a dog and picks it out by himself and gets exactly the one he wants.

Then there is no question that the dog is wanted. It's a load of hokum that the advertising industry foists on us that a cute puppy makes an adorable gift. It is a live animal and should only be obtained if it is completely and totally wanted by someone who has made a 100% commitment to it.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM

28 posts, read 113,752 times
It seems like the majority is "no" which is very understandable. I do not want my boyfriend to be miserable let alone develop asthma! I still don't know what the oil in the dog's coat has anything to do with allergies, though. And I had no idea that a person could foster a dog so maybe we will do that. He and I would really like a dog so we'll do more research.

PS Neither of us would ever get rid of a dog that we would adopt. We would love it too much!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
Understand that allergy shots are a big deal. My son had to go in weekly for about 7 mos and then it tapers off to once a month. And there's no guarantee that they will work for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs