Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandieluvsbears View Post
He weighs around 38 to 40 lbs, I will definately look into other foods. It has been so long since we have had a dog, I forget things, but he needed a home and we have one, and we plan to spoil him rotten lol, now that the kids are married and have their own lives. Thanks for the info!!! Oh by the way his name is Decel, pronounced(Diesel). Right now he is laying at my feet, and follows me every time I go into the kitchen, but he still has his moping moments, I know it will take time.
Awwwww, I'm so happy for all of you. Giving him a home is the BEST part of all of this! (Thank you so much for doing that for him.)

Give Decel a smooch from me, okay? You can say it's from his Auntie Dawnie. He won't understand, but I'll smile that a delicious beagle boy got a kiss from me.

Good move on checking out different food. Again, I really recommend Taste of the Wild (bison/venison). My guy is super-picky, very finicky, AND has a sensitive tummy... and he loves it (and it loves him). For a beagle not to inhale his food is surprising -- beagles are notorious for eating EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. I'd chalk that up to his uncertainty at the moment -- and, gosh yes, that will change and he'll be your best friend and lovebug.

Okay, enough chit-chat -- give him that smooch from me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
He weighs around 38 to 40 lbs, I will definately look into other foods. It has been so long since we have had a dog, I forget things, but he needed a home and we have one, and we plan to spoil him rotten lol, now that the kids are married and have their own lives. Thanks for the info!!! Oh by the way his name is Decel, pronounced(Diesel). Right now he is laying at my feet, and follows me every time I go into the kitchen, but he still has his moping moments, I know it will take time.
He is a nice-looking dog....if you're not going to feed raw I second the suggestion for TOTW, it is a good, clean food.

I think most Beagles deserve to be spoiled. Give him a smooch from me too!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
I have no advice, but I have to say I agree with the others, your dog is absolutely beautiful. I hope he cheers up. It is great that you have given him a home.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
He is adorable! I wouldn't worry about his energy level or moping right now. He is depressed. Even though his former owners didn't care about him he loved them to bits and was very attached. They were the only family he had known since birth. My older fosters are often depressed at first. They know they've been rejected it seems. Give him some time and he will transfer the love to you as he gets to know you and learns your routine. A good steady routine that he can count on with planned in happy times that he can count on is very important right now. Treats, games or walks that happen every day, at the same time every day, will give him something to look forward to and help him get over missing his old family.

Bless you for giving him a good home.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
He is a cutie!

You should really look into changing his dog food, those are horrible brands and am not surprised he isn't excited about eating them.

I highly recommend mixing dry and wet dog food together. It makes it much more appealing to dogs and is easier on their stomachs. Merrick is my favorite dog food brand. If you get both the wet and dry, I'm sure your dog will be much more happy and healthy. Don't be afraid to give him some human food too.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
He's beautiful and he really just needs some time, as you know. Biggle!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hi, We just adopted a 3 year old beagle last Sat., he is a sweety, minds well, but seems so depressed. All he wants to do is sleep, he also will not eat, (although he did eat a bowl of our friends dogs food, when we stopped by there house. I feel so bad for him as he honestly looks just so sad. Last night he jumped up on our bed, and slept which I allowed, (and will continue to allow) but unless I take him out for walks he just lies around, any suggestions? He came from a nice family who had him since birth, and could no longer care for him,or give him the attention he needs.
I am guessing he will adjust. If he had a good home, I am sure he misses his old mommy and daddy. continue to give him attention and sleeping with you, that is a wonderful idea. I know, some think letting doggies sleep with them is horrible but we always have room for one more and it is a lot easier than having the kids sleep with you.

I have read the responses and got to see his picture. He is so cute, I love Beagles, who wouldn't actually? Sounds like he is slowly but surely adjusting. As for the dog food, I am not going to touch that with a 10 foot pole, except to say, feed him what he likes.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Hounds tend to not be very demonstrative, but they form deep bonds. Your dog has to work through a period of mourning for the family that abandoned him. Don't worry, give him a little time and he will come around and bond with your family.

Adult beagles can be couch potatoes. Maybe the dog you got is not lively at times when there is nothing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs