Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

For dogs who need to gain weight, don't stuff them. High calories will only put on fat and the dog needs to replace muscle.

Figure how many calories he will need when he reaches his ideal weight and feed just that. His wreight will float up gradually until he meets his ideal weigh. Weight put on will be proper muscle mass and not lard. You won't risk unbalancing his diet or risk triggering an attack of pancreatitis.

I would feed 3 times a day, but at least 2 times if 3 times isn't possible.

Make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise. The exercise will help with replacing lost muscle mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM

511 posts, read 837,723 times
I work from home so luckily can feed him three times a day. I am guessing that on straight kibble, at his "fighting weight" he should be on about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of Taste of the Wild per day. I've been giving him 4 cups as well as about 1/3 lb of satin balls (just what I had on hand, 80% ground beef, whole milk yogurt, molasses, egg yolks, oatmeal and coconut oil and I just got some Missing Link to add in) and he devours it all. I am going to cut his kibble back to 1.5 c per serving plus the satin balls and see how that works for a week or two.

As far as exercise, I don't have a lot of time for him. I might manage 10 minutes of playing "catch the ball" with him and maybe a quick walk. He's so sweet. I feel bad for him but hopefully someone will fall in love with him who can be a proper loving owner for him. A shame this town is overrun with unwanted pit mixes. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For dogs who need to gain weight, don't stuff them. High calories will only put on fat and the dog needs to replace muscle.

Figure how many calories he will need when he reaches his ideal weight and feed just that. His wreight will float up gradually until he meets his ideal weigh. Weight put on will be proper muscle mass and not lard. You won't risk unbalancing his diet or risk triggering an attack of pancreatitis.

I would feed 3 times a day, but at least 2 times if 3 times isn't possible.

Make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise. The exercise will help with replacing lost muscle mass.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
I feel like coming to MobiusStrip's house to be fattened up would be an awesome experience... You just made me want some meatballs.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM

511 posts, read 837,723 times
Another update: now that I have Smokey, I realize Harry actually is very nicely muscled - just on the thin side. But very, very strong. Mercy now that he is feeling better the boy can pull me on the leash. (We are working on it). Smokey is not quite as thin as Harry was a few weeks ago but has little muscle tone. I wonder what crap his people fed him. Well, at least now I know what food to feed Smokey to help him bulk up some. Poor little guy.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Keep working on the loose leash, but for better control try a sense-ation harness, if you can spend the money for it. There was a thread on it very recently here. It makes a world of difference.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
One of the hardest things for me with rescue dogs, especially dogs in the condition you described, is the possibility of overfeeding them. I mean, you look at them, and you have such pity that you just want to stuff their little bellies and make them happy. You think about all the horrible things they've been through and you just want to give them something you know will make them happy - food. You do have to be careful though.

My GSD is like that. She was skin and bone and badly abused when we found her. To this day I have the urge to slide her an extra dog treat, give her an extra pat on the head, or hug her a little longer as if to say "You're safe now." I'm guilty of it at times but I have tried extra hard not to give in to those compulsions because I know it's only going to hurt her.

My point is that you're feeding that dog plenty of food. I think you'll probably want to throttle back on the amount of food the dog eats when it reaches its target weight (something the vet can tell you). They're really good at looking at you with their big brown eyes as if to say "Look at the hell I've been through. Please, just add a few more cups of chow to my bowl." But, do try not to give in to those eyes once your dog is healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs