Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:30 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
There is no magic cute that a vet can give.

Actually a friend of mine took their dog to the vet a couple weeks ago and the dog was sent home to treat. She survived. Another friend of mine had a litter come down with it and same thing when she took a couple sick pups in, they sent them home to be treated. Some made it.

I left my dog at the hospital because I we unable to be home during the whole time to treat and watch over her. She survived too, her brother who was owned by another lady died at the hospital.

All that can really be done is to treat the symptoms. Whether the vet assistant does this or it is done at home.
A vet gives the dog the BEST chance at survival. Most people have neither the right equipment nor the knowledge to treat at home. Of course not all dogs will make it even with state of the art treatment, but if you want to give your dog the best chance at survival take it to the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,819 times
hello good afternoon. i have a question what if i barely started my dog with fluids and IV do you think i can add the activated charcol as another medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
It works! Saves my female's pup life after vet said there was nothing to be done. 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal, 2 teaspoons of Apple cider vinegar, 8 oz of bottled water, 8 oz of pedialyte. Mix in a 16 oz bottle. Give 3 5ml syringes every 4 hours while giving a 50/50 water pedialyte mixture every two hours. My dog was near death and was already on the up swing after her second dosage. This mixture held their body cope with with parvo virus as if it isn't anything at all!! Allows pups immune system to build immunities quickly since parvo symptoms are subdued!! The vets know this!!! A ten dollar bottle of activated charcoal and save your dog from parvo! I got my bottle at my local vitamin shoppe. Some gnc also carry

Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayrosa View Post
hello good afternoon. i have a question what if i barely started my dog with fluids and IV do you think i can add the activated charcol as another medication?
I think it's better to ask your vet rather than people on the internet.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,274,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayrosa View Post
I'll take 'Ask a (real) Veterinarian' for $1000 please Alex.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 15,363 times
Obviously the vet is the best option, but not everyone can afford the outrageous prices most vets charge. Since 80% of vets are just there for the dollars these days, they overcharge on everything! It doesn’t cost the vet much for the meds and fluids to treat parvo. And while the pups need more attention than other illnesses, very few vets make special trips to their clinics after hours to check on the parvo pups. There are several things that can be done at home. Liquid b12 mixed with a little light Karo syrup. Pumpkin filling (like in a pie) helps settle stomach and has lots of protein. Dehydration is what usually kills the puppy, so subque fluids are important at home. The very important thing a pup gets at home that’s not available at the vet, is the owner being present and giving the pup love. That alone helps the dog fight to live. Parvo is something that needs round the clock care. Owners need to be up constantly to give small amounts of fluids every 15-30 minutes. Just a few drops at a time so that the fluids are absorbed before reaching the stomach. This keeps the stomach from being aggravated and throwing up the fluids. The vet is the best option, but treatment at home can be successful too.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrescuer73 View Post
Obviously the vet is the best option, but not everyone can afford the outrageous prices most vets charge. Since 80% of vets are just there for the dollars these days, they overcharge on everything! It doesn’t cost the vet much for the meds and fluids to treat parvo. And while the pups need more attention than other illnesses, very few vets make special trips to their clinics after hours to check on the parvo pups. There are several things that can be done at home. Liquid b12 mixed with a little light Karo syrup. Pumpkin filling (like in a pie) helps settle stomach and has lots of protein. Dehydration is what usually kills the puppy, so subque fluids are important at home. The very important thing a pup gets at home that’s not available at the vet, is the owner being present and giving the pup love. That alone helps the dog fight to live. Parvo is something that needs round the clock care. Owners need to be up constantly to give small amounts of fluids every 15-30 minutes. Just a few drops at a time so that the fluids are absorbed before reaching the stomach. This keeps the stomach from being aggravated and throwing up the fluids. The vet is the best option, but treatment at home can be successful too.

To be clear it's not pumpkin pie filling it's canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin with nothing added to it) that can be used if a dog has diarrhea because it contains a lot of fiber which will help bulk up the stools.

Some pumpkin pie filling has xylitol in it which will kill a dog.

If the vet only charges the cost of the fluid and medication to treat a dog, how are they supposed to pay rent, insurance premiums, vet tech salaries, buy new equipment etc?

Old 09-25-2018, 06:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I found on a holistic site that you can treat parvo with Activated Charcoal. I volunteer at a shelter and we had a dog die over the weekend. Vet said it was probably parvo although I didn't see any signs of it when I was there but I don't know what else it could be.

There are a lot of testimonials that it works. The activated charcoal supposedly pulls the virus poison out.

Natural Parvo Remedies

I know so many people can not afford the $$$ for vet bills.
Sorry I'm off topic but: YIKES! I used to work at a shelter and the vet said "it was probably parvo??????"

Was there NO testing?? Parvo used to put the fear in all of us who worked at our shelter because it is so HIGHLY contagious. I used to go home and strip down to my undies in our basement just in case I had the parvo germ on my clothes. My dogs never came near me until I had washed and changed my clothes. I suggest you do the same if you have dogs.

In a kennel or shelter, if one has it, they can ALL get it, and some of them can even with a Parvo vaccine.

I can't believe this vet didn't test that dog or if he did, you didn't mention it but said it "was probably parvo"

Unbelievable that he would just say that so nonchalantly.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 15,363 times
Brook718- at what point did you stop administering the charcoal? I’m guessing it’s when the puppy is eating on its on, but want to ask

Old 04-28-2019, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,029 times
I read this and I’m glad I did cause I had two pit bull puppies to start with one died a couple days ago before I could get him to a vet but I wasn’t thinking about what I could do from home for my second one which just started showing symptoms today I looked online to see what I could do found a add on activated Charles which I have had in my closet cause I stopped using it after getting better from being constantly sick this last year and then saw this too and just gave my little baby a dose of it I’m so scared of losing him too cause both of them were from the same litter and ik it’s been a hard couple days on him too as well as me I’ve also found. Couple other things I’m going to try as well as this treatment considering the vet told me 900 to 1200 for a maybe and I can’t go on a maybe this is my baby and I’m hoping I can save his life today fr

Last edited by Alisha.caruthers; 04-28-2019 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Charcoal

Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook718 View Post
Ok, in case you can't read English.. Took my dog to vet, they treated her then sent her home with me to die because she didn't respond well to treatment and I refuse to give up on her and give them an additional 300 bucks to put her to sleep after spending 1500.00 to treat her.. Figured I might as well give it a shot! And it worked! I called the vet and told them and they said they've heard of it before.. The problem is we are all brainwashed to think that the pharmaceutical companies are the only ones to help us with illnesses.. This earth has everything you need.. Listen, screw what the poster above says, if you are strapped for cash and want to save your dogs life then use the activated charcoal
How long did it take before u saw symptoms of this clearing I’ve been giving my dog this since 900 last night is it more likely to start clearing after 24 hours I’m noticed he’s not throwing up anymore but I’m just really worried we just lost his brother to it a couple days ago and I just haven’t had any money to do a vet visit but after seeing what his brother went thru I just can’t give up on him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs