U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM

511 posts, read 791,179 times

Advertisements

What constitutes enough attention for a 2 year old dog (pit mix)? As I mentioned in a recent thread, I pulled him at the 11th hr (and 59th minute, pretty much) from a local kill shelter with the plan of rehoming him through a rescue group. I figured what I could offer was at least a step or two above death. But he gets maybe a total of 15 minutes a day of attention from me. How much is actually "enough"? Not ideal but how much time should I be spending on training to up his adoptability factor? He knows down and stay but other commands, he still needs to work on. I know I am shortchanging him but at what point can I stop feeling like I am neglecting him? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 8,891,703 times
Fifteen minutes isn't nearly enough time for attention. He needs different types of your time -- for play, for exercise, for training and just for hanging out. Every dog has different needs, but if you have a young dog looking for a home and you really want him adoptable, then you are looking at hours -- not minutes.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Tina, my own kids (two three year olds) don't get hours. I still have to work, cook, do laundry, clean, etc. Harry can't hang out in the house because he wants to eat my cats. So we play outside and he is in the crate to sleep. Do people really spend hours a day with their dogs? Maybe if I had nothing else in my life I could but I have other responsibilities. I am looking for the minimum to not feel guilty.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

20,429 posts, read 13,402,241 times
I always feel bad for our 2 Cockers when we head out the door to work for 6-8 hours a day. Figure in the night time when we and they sleep and that only leaves about 8 hours a day to interact then figure in the rest of a busy life and that might only be 3-4 hours when we are in the actuall house and pups are at our feet. I play and give them both as much attention as possible not to mention snacks but I know they would like more (snacks).
It is terrific that you saved this dog from certain death but given that you only have 15 minutes a day to be with him you are shortchanging him. Dogs are companion animals and don't like to be alone so either spend more time with him or get him a buddy to hang out with. I say find him a home ASAP

Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM

20,429 posts, read 13,402,241 times
Mobiusstrip just saw your next posting while I was typing and no you don't need to hover over your dog for hours a day but as long as you are in the same room with him and occasionally pet, talk, toss a ball or snack he will be happy. If he is tied out back or in a cage away from you and the family that is not a happy situation for him.
Dogs want to please and be social. maybe your kids can play with him. Usually a bored dog can be destructive to your house like eating the couch so keep him entertained.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Cape Cod Todd, pits are a dime a dozen here and hard to place. I know I am short changing him. I thought it would be less challenging to find a rescue to buddy up with for him than it has been. He's been with me almost two weeks now and is a very sweet boy other than the cat issue. I can't leave him hanging out free in the house without having to put the cats in a bedroom. It would be irresponsible to leave my kids outside alone with him without absolutely knowing his temperament, and given their old owner was charged with cruelty and his "BFF" apparently bit someone pretty badly at one point, that is something that is going to take a good while. He's not tied of course and does have doggy neighbors to say hi to through the fence and I work from home so can spend a few minutes here and there. I just cannot be an ideal home for him.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM

737 posts, read 2,489,160 times
If you're not going to permanently adopt him, then you're doing more than anyone else cared to do. The last one we "fostered" became a family member in no time; I digress.

If you could get another volunteer, friend, family member, neighbor or anyone else to help get him more adoptable, that would be great. I certainly wouldn't return him to certain death because you only have 15 minutes of "real" time to spend with him each day. You've done a lot already with the little bit of training you have been able to provide. I had to think really hard about how much one-on-one time we spend with each of ours and in all honesty, other than hanging out on the sofa petting them, it isn't much more than 15 minutes. Of course we have a pack so they keep each other running, playing and busy being dogs so not really a comparison. We don't leash as they run free on our property, plenty of room for them.

Hopefully, your foster will get a home soon and you've got a great start. If 15 minutes is your maximum, then that is better than death if he is adoptable.

Sounds like you're doing what you can and certainly he is able to be trained in the amount of time you've had him he is staying and knows that and the down command. Hope it works out for him soon. Best wishes and luck!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,315,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Tina, my own kids (two three year olds) don't get hours. I still have to work, cook, do laundry, clean, etc. Harry can't hang out in the house because he wants to eat my cats. So we play outside and he is in the crate to sleep. Do people really spend hours a day with their dogs? Maybe if I had nothing else in my life I could but I have other responsibilities. I am looking for the minimum to not feel guilty.
I'm a mother and a dog owner. I know it's entirely possible to spend hours per day with a dog. You bring a dog into your life, you make it part of your life. Dogs hang out watching TV with the family. Dogs go for walks with the family. Dogs "help" you cook dinner. You take them for rides when you do errands if the weather permits (not too hot outside---keep interior of car cool via windows cracked, etc.) Training is part of everyday life via talking to the dog while you do other things, such as telling it to go get things or find things, or sit, lay, stay.

I think it's great you saved this dog from being euthanized, but please try to find it a home quickly if you only have 15 minutes per day for it. You're creating an "outside" dog, and that's not a very adoptable type of dog, especially one that has limited human interaction.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 PM

I have two preschoolers, three cats, one (for the moment) dog, one demanding job, and no partner. I do not have hours a day for any animal but am networking Harry and hoping for better for him soon.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 17,360,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
I have two preschoolers, three cats, one (for the moment) dog, one demanding job, and no partner. I do not have hours a day for any animal but am networking Harry and hoping for better for him soon.
Fifteen minutes a day isn't enough and being outside alone mostly is far from ideal but you knew that and as someone else said, it's better than him being dead...if you can include him in running errands with the kids (if it's not too hot where you are) or to the store or wherever that would be great.

Would it be possible, in the interim, to maybe hire a petsitter or even a responsible neighbor or friend to take him for a daytime walk?

Pit bulls are "disposable" dogs around where I live too, and harder to rehome than other breeds. Perhaps contact some of the rescues in your area and see if they will do a courtesy posting for you on petfinder. Many rescues will happily do this. It will surely not hurt to ask and will get Harry seen by tons of people looking for adoptable dogs.

Also post a photo and description at as many vets as you can. That way, you'll have a built-in reference from the vet. Pre-internet, that is how we always advertised adoptable dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs