U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 AM

9,172 posts, read 4,158,647 times

Advertisements

Our back yard is fenced in with a 6 foot stockade fence. Unfortunately, the ground is not level and so there are gaps between the fence and the ground from between 3" to 6" in spots. The lab,collie mix on the one side of us tries to dig under the fence to get to my dogs and I've put edging and cement blocks underneath the fence to try to remedy the situation, and it has helped to some extent. That neighbor has done nothing to help the situation except try to keep her dog in when mine are out and vice versa.

Unfortunately, the neighbors daughter on the other side moved back home, bringing with her her miniture pincher and miniture beagle, who also dig under our fence. I put up some edging there and when I ran out put up a snow fence to keep my dogs away. The only thing that neighbor did was lean a few cement blocks against their side of the fence which fall down and allow their dogs to continue to dig under.

I'm trying to think of a permanent solution that is not too costly and unsightly as we have a huge back yard. We considered buying treated wood panels to screw into the bottom of the fence so there would not be any openings - but the projected cost is rising. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I don't want to see any of these dogs hurt. My terrier is the one, who runs the fence trying to keep the other dogs out, while the pit runs between the fence and my terrier trying to herd him away from the fence. Last week the beagle got his head under and nipped my terrier and that's when the pit most have nipped the beagle back as it yelped. I've talked with the neighbors but neither are willing to do anything to help. The neighbor with the beagle and pincher actually leave their doors open now that it's nice so the dogs can come and go as they please. Knowing this, we now take our dogs out on a leash to do their business and the rest of the time they're in the house except for walks.

We have a huge back yard and with the weather getting nicer, I don't think it's fair that I have to contain my dogs, who would be happy running aound in their back yard if it were not for the other dogs trying to dig under.

Any advise appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 17,370,878 times
When I had a digger dog, I dug a shallow trench along the base of the fence and poured in cement. But that wouldn't help with your gap problem along the bottom. A neighbor of mine in another house had a similar problem, so she installed some sort of electric fencing wire around the perimeter, like for containing livestock. That worked like a charm; I know this for sure because her two dogs dug their way into my yard several times! Luckily all of our dogs got along.

Another idea might be the flexible wire livestock fencing...it is quite inexpensive and really sturdy. Check Home Depot. Part of my fenced yard is very wooded and I used that to fill in the gaps where we couldn't install regular fencing. Like one of these - you could probably get creative with it:

Welded Wire - Fencing - Lumber & Composites*at The Home Depot

Isn't there some sort of local ordinance mandating keeping one's dogs contained? Maybe a subtle threat or nudge would prompt your neighbors to work with you.

I'd hate having this problem...my fenced yard is huge and while the dogs are most definitely house dogs they do love to spend time outside.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,602,965 times
I'm not sure of an answer that's both cheap and not unsightly. I've used both chickenwire and landscape timbers for gaps before.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Thanks for your help! We're going out to Lowes tomorrow - I'll just have to make sure that they have netting that is very close together. My husbands other thought was roof flashing that he could attach with short screws so that the screw ends wouldn't come thru the other side of the fence and possibly hurt the neighbors dogs.

As I said the neighbor on the one side is a nice single mom who is laid off - so I know she doesn't have alot of extra money to help - and she and her daughters are really good about calling Toby in if anything starts or not letting him out if mine are out in the backyard. The other neighbor with the daughter's two little dogs and one of their own, said to me "I've done all I could". They're the type of neighbor, who knows everyone's business and is critical of everyone but lord forbid if someone thinks they are doing something wrong. They haven't really talked much to us since we took down the chain link fence and put up the stockade partly because the dogs we had then were bigger and I wanted more privacy from their prying eyes.

I just don't anyone of them getting hurt and I know how most people feel about pit bulls and poor Tessa will get the blame even if their Penny and Jingles or my Gunner were the instigators.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM

6,566 posts, read 6,310,377 times
The problem was probably created when you took down the chain link fence. The dogs could see each other through that, and may not have wanted to dig. When you replaced it with the stockade fence, it made them eager to get to the dogs they could hear and smell, but not see.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 AM

13,655 posts, read 37,072,357 times
Rail road ties.....used are free & last for years.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM

10,018 posts, read 11,965,343 times
I solved that problem with an escape artist I had. I went to the scrap yard and got a whole bunch of pieces of old rebar. I cut them into 2 ft pieces and drove them a ft. and a half into the ground every 4 inches all around the fence. My dog still tried for a while to dig under the fence but gave it up once she realized she couldn't any longer.

It was a chain link fence also and I tied the 6 in. of rebar sticking out of the ground to the fence wire. so she cound not loosen up that wire and go under.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,935,143 times
Ask your neighbor if they would let you run a hotwire on their side of the fence just above ground level it might help. I'd also consider making a "viewing window" at dog height so they can sniff each other you could cover it with chicken wire. For the gaps there are some good solutions, railroad ties, landscape logs and drive rebar through them to keep them from moving.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the ideas! And aquietpath - do you come on forums just to find fault with everyone - it is not my fault as the fence was put up 8 years ago - my dogs are 2 yrs and 18 months and the daughter of our neignbor just moved in 6 months ago with her dogs. So before you start assigning fault with people - learn the facts of the situation.

I love these forums but they seem to be full of neighsayers, accusers and name callers no matter which forum I visit. Thankfully we can ignore!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM

5,024 posts, read 11,997,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The problem was probably created when you took down the chain link fence. The dogs could see each other through that, and may not have wanted to dig. When you replaced it with the stockade fence, it made them eager to get to the dogs they could hear and smell, but not see.

Chain link fences are not always the best fences as many dogs can climb them and they really do not leave one any privacy while out in their own yard.

For two years during my childhood we lived outside of Chicago and that house had a chain link fence ( this was back in the 60's and most dogs were not spayed or neutered) Our dog Pepper climbed the chain link fence to "visit" his girlfriend Princess and the result was 4 adorable puppies....so much for a chain link fence. After he knew he could get over it he frequently went over it to play with Princess and her mother Tippy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs