U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM
 
2,624 posts, read 3,349,828 times
Reputation: 2224

Advertisements

Hello all! So I give my golden lab glucosamine supplements. I buy them in the caplets that can be broken up and dumped powder form in her food. Its a much much cheaper option than buying the pet version. I basically match the dosage to that of pet formulas. The ingredients are identical.

She has been on this for a couple years and I have noticed a great improvement in her joints. She weighs 85lbs, and is 4 1/2 yrs old. She is very very active and is not overweight. So my vet told me I need to get her off of the human form of glucosamine and get her on the pet version. ($10 every 2 months human version vs. $30 a month pet version) She claims its not healthy and won't even in the slightest help her with her joints. I told my vet that she no longer limps after rough play sessions at the dog park, and that there is indeed a very noticeable difference. So, has anybody had experience with the human versions of glucosamine vs. the pet versions? Is there really a difference besides price? Thanks all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 8,910,406 times
Reputation: 4288
The human version is absolutely fine. In fact, you probably won't find a pet version that contains enough glucosamine for your dog's needs. When our old boy was in physical therapy for arthritis, the therapist -- as well as our vet, said a dog his size (55#) needed 1200 mg per day to see any improvement. So I bought a supplement for human consumption that was 1200 per pill. I actually had been giving the dog a supplement powder with glucosamine in it (Missing Link Plus) -- but guess what? The amount of glucosamine oer teaspoon wasn't even listed on the label!!

Stick with what you're doing. I'm glad you're seeing improvement, because she is pretty young to be having those problems. Big girl, too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 AM
 
2,624 posts, read 3,349,828 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The human version is absolutely fine. In fact, you probably won't find a pet version that contains enough glucosamine for your dog's needs. When our old boy was in physical therapy for arthritis, the therapist -- as well as our vet, said a dog his size (55#) needed 1200 mg per day to see any improvement. So I bought a supplement for human consumption that was 1200 per pill. I actually had been giving the dog a supplement powder with glucosamine in it (Missing Link Plus) -- but guess what? The amount of glucosamine oer teaspoon wasn't even listed on the label!!

Stick with what you're doing. I'm glad you're seeing improvement, because she is pretty young to be having those problems. Big girl, too!
Well she rolls around on the ground and just plainly plays rough. She likes to run full speed and crash to the ground. She plays very rough like this for maybe an hour. But later that day she will have a slight limp. The glucosamine has made a tremendous impact in the way she walks after these rough play sessions. But the vet still claims we should put her on (of course) the glucosamine supplements THEY sell. I'm just sick and tired of my vet treating us as though money, for us, is no object.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: St. Croix
737 posts, read 2,492,882 times
Reputation: 762
Thanks for this thread! Now I will give one of mine the human version.... SO much of a savings. I've heard about it but it was great to read real life results. Will pick some up today!

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 04-27-2013 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: sp
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
3,564 posts, read 8,550,547 times
Reputation: 8112
Great info. I give mine the doggie version because I didn't want to deal with peanut butter and a pill every morning, didn't know there was a caplet with powder form. Thanks, it will save me some money
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
 
13,920 posts, read 24,380,438 times
Reputation: 39391
I've been giving my dogs the Costco human glucosamine(1500 mg)/condroitin(1200mg) for years now. My vet was thrilled!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 8,910,406 times
Reputation: 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Great info. I give mine the doggie version because I didn't want to deal with peanut butter and a pill every morning, didn't know there was a caplet with powder form. Thanks, it will save me some money
Pill Pockets, made by Greenies, are really cheap online and dogs LOVE them.

Search results for: 'pill pockets'

You can easily squish them in half, too, make them go a lot farther. they're pricey at local stores, almost half the price online.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 17,398,570 times
Reputation: 10345
Other ways to give large pills (clearly, do not do this if it's a time-release pill of some sort.)

Soak them in water. Glucosamine and joint-supplement pills tend to dissolve into a slushy that can be poured over food.
Use a spice grinder to grind them up into powder and pour over food.

Also, farm and horse-supply stores always carry various glucosamine type joint supplements in liquid form and that is perfectly OK for dogs too.You just have to adjust the dose for dogs and the two I've used had the canine dosing instructions on the label.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
 
857 posts, read 2,126,926 times
Reputation: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Well she rolls around on the ground and just plainly plays rough. She likes to run full speed and crash to the ground. She plays very rough like this for maybe an hour. But later that day she will have a slight limp. The glucosamine has made a tremendous impact in the way she walks after these rough play sessions. But the vet still claims we should put her on (of course) the glucosamine supplements THEY sell. I'm just sick and tired of my vet treating us as though money, for us, is no object.

I know your dog likes to play rough but I think even though she isn't feeling it,in the long run it may on work against her joints.

btw/My Vet talked into an expensive med for my dogs joints(plus on Rimadyl too),I am going to do what you did./Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
2,156 posts, read 3,806,249 times
Reputation: 6073
When my Service Dog Freedom and I were in training the Vet for the organization told us that the human glucosamine/chondroitin was excellent and told us the dosage.

My boy has no problems with taking pills so we give him the regular pill (it goes in his morning meal and he just eats it with his breakfast). He also takes fish oil (again recommended by the Service Dog Vet).

He is 12 and is just as silly (when not on the job!) as a puppy and loves to romp and play.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top