U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM

18,842 posts, read 35,686,092 times

Advertisements

We have all read the news articles about the family dog killing a child, not just Pit Bulls, but other dogs as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1285099.html
http://www.khou.com/news/local/13-da...129221558.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sy-attack.html

I had a dog when my kids were little, a Bassett Corgi mix, Sam. He was a big bean bag for kids, I trusted him with my kids, he was very well behaved. But, I would not have left the baby on the floor, and left the room. Usually, he was playing with the kids and I was always there too, or if I was doing laundry or something I was there. As the children were older, four or five, he would be alone with the kids, by this time, they knew how to act appropriately, and there were never any problems.

At what age would you trust your dog to be alone with your child?

What do you think happened in these tragic stories of beloved pets attacking a child?

Can dogs be fully trusted with small children and infants?

Last edited by jasper12; 04-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: added linka
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM

13,893 posts, read 13,025,897 times
Being the dog lover I am, I think your question should be reworded:

Can small children and infants be fully trusted with dogs.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,993,749 times
I agree with Dale. I have strong suspicions that the children in these and other attacks provoked the dog in some way. Parents have a responsibility to monitor their dogs and children at all times until the kids are old enough and demonstrate they know how to treat a dog.

I remember reading an account years ago about an elderly couple who rescued a rather large dog and had him for a few months when he attacked and killed the woman while she was sitting in her chair quietly reading in front of a fire. The husband was in a state of shock that the calm and loving dog who was sleeping peacefully at their feet "for no reason" decided to attack the woman. I always wondered if there was something else to the story.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM

30,300 posts, read 41,452,486 times
Another vote for "can children be trusted with a dog?"

I've seen parents encouraging horrid behavior from their child, egging the child on to abuse the dog.

When my child was a toddler, I believe the family dog would have laid down his life for my child (German Shepherd of the very best kind), but child and dog were never unsupervised together.

I did a lot of training with the child to shape his behavior so it was correct around the dog and so that child and dog could have good communication.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,602,965 times
An infant, never. No matter what kind of dog, and no matter how much the dog normally loves the baby. I think four would be the minimum age and it would depend on the child. My poodle bit me once when I was unattended with her, doing something harmless but annoying to her, that my mother had previously told me not to do. I don't remember exactly how old I was but we got her not long after my fourth birthday. So obviously in my case, four (or maybe 5) was still too young.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,150,682 times
I don't trust my toddler around any dog and would never leave her alone with any dog. She (my toddler) is not old enough to understand a dog's body language, and I can easily picture her annoying a dog to the point of getting snapped at. Any animal with teeth can and will bite if pushed too far.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 AM

18,842 posts, read 35,686,092 times
^^^very true. I remember my daughter coming up to me at age three...""Mama, Mickey BITE me.". Mickey was my 17 year old cat, he did not like toddlers "petting" him. He would lay on the bed, and ignore the kids. Kids were told to leave him alone...he never bit....but if bothered enough he would gently put his teeth on their hand.

Our dog, Sam never bit the kids...but if they were holding a treat for him, it was with the treat in their palm, and they were taught to never tease him with food. Sam would not grab food from the kids, but anything they dropped was gone in seconds.

He would sometimes be so excited, he would inadvertently knock the baby over, when playing with the kids. His whole body would just be exploding when he saw kids...when he was younger I physically had to hold him down so he would settle a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs