Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 AM

175 posts, read 590,109 times

Advertisements

My friends dog was recently diagnosed with whipworm and she claims I should get my dogs on Trifexis. I have always given them Heartguard Plus and Frontline Plus. We live in a heavy deer tick area, so I need the Frontline Plus for that but I have never heard of a whipworm problem before. She does live about 1/4 mile from me and she said her cat has whipworms also.
What are the pros and cons of switching from Hearguard Plus to Trifexis other than possible whipworms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Is Trifexsi that new long term drug that treats multiple things?

If so, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Those drugs are toxic and when they come out with these more powerful, long lasting treatments, they are even more toxic. The more things they try to treat with 1 pill, the more toxic they are. Neurotoxins are in all of them.

Basically if you watch the pet pharma industry long enough, you will see these products come and go along with massive add campaigns and the Vets push them like candy. They are never properly tested before hitting the market and people's pets on the retail market are guinea pigs. They always get pulled off the market a year or so later after all of the deaths and severe reactions on file get built up enough in the data. I remember when the new 6 month heartworm prevention came out about 10 years ago and my vet tried and tried to push it on me - I refused...once again, it was pulled off the market after killing and maiming countless dogs. Be careful.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
well ido know heartguard doesn tprotect against whipworm...
i can also tellyou whipworm is contracted when an animal eats infected matter (that couldbe poop, a dead mouse ect...) so providing a fenced area that cna be checked and ceaned regularly wilhelp avoid infection...

i can tell you trifexiss does protect against whip worm but i cn alo tellyou my female dog had a nasty reaction to it....

Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
It is all just so confusing. So many products, none of which do exactly the same things as the others.

Our vet is all for us using Trifexis, but I'm holding off. I know it protects against almost all types of worms, including heartworms, but after puppyhood, our dogs just don't have much (or any) trouble with worms. And we can always get them doses of Panacur or Drontal if they do get worms.

I am also reluctant to use Trifexis because it's new.

Our vet suggested that along with the Trifexis, we use a flea/tick collar. Can't remember the name of it right now. That bothers me too.

I applied Frontline to Karma last week, but I haven't decided what to do with the puppy yet. In the meantime, I pulled a live tick last night...from ME.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
For years I used interceptor and never had problems when it went off the market my vet also recommended the Trifexis with a flea/tick collar, my dog is a house dog and after reading whats in the collar - I'd be having problems with my allergies so I went with Heartguard and Frontline spray.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
I would just treat with Panacur for the whipworms whenever needed rather than experiment with some new drug. You can get Panacur online with no prescription, even.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Here's a link to which compares several heartworm products. Not sure how old this link is but it might be worth looking at.

My dog had been on Interceptor since I adopted her 12 years ago. But since that's no longer an option, my vet recommended their brand of Iverheart Max as her best option. Fleas and ticks are not a concern in my area.

When she was on Interceptor, my dog's vet would price match any online price.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM

175 posts, read 590,109 times
Thanks for all the replies. You have all confirmed my own gut feelings. I have never had any problems with Heartguard and Frontline so I hate to change now. I am more worried about the deer ticks. One dog was vacinated against lyme as a puppy and the other rescue came to us positive with lyme and had to under go treatment and is now vacinated. To top it off I was diagnosed with lyme last October and under went 60 days of treatment with many side effects. I like the fact that Frontline Plus will kill a tick if it bites the dogs. I certainly do not want to get re-infected again as it was an awful experience. I have always been happy with the Heartguard so I will stick with that also.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Is Trifexsi that new long term drug that treats multiple things?

If so, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Those drugs are toxic and when they come out with these more powerful, long lasting treatments, they are even more toxic. The more things they try to treat with 1 pill, the more toxic they are. Neurotoxins are in all of them.

Basically if you watch the pet pharma industry long enough, you will see these products come and go along with massive add campaigns and the Vets push them like candy. They are never properly tested before hitting the market and people's pets on the retail market are guinea pigs. They always get pulled off the market a year or so later after all of the deaths and severe reactions on file get built up enough in the data. I remember when the new 6 month heartworm prevention came out about 10 years ago and my vet tried and tried to push it on me - I refused...once again, it was pulled off the market after killing and maiming countless dogs. Be careful.

Totally Agree.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
My rottie is on Trifexis and has had no problems with fleas or ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs