Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times

Advertisements

And for dogs sakes... never, never, never ever buy a puppy at a pet shop or flea market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Doing so only produces more dogs that we will have to kill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Save a Life,
These dogs deserve better.
It is nearly impossible to adopt an animal from a Humane Society Shelter and the requirements are absolutely ridiculous.

We went to the Humane Society Shelter and found a beautiful loving kitten and wanted to bring her home and they were not going to "allow" me to bring her home because we have a bigger dog and she might be "afraid" of the dog and he "Might" attack her.

Well, the dog and cat had already met, he sniffed her once and laid down to go to sleep. She sniffed him all over while he was laying there, licked his face and his ears, gave him a nosy and laid down next to him.

Of course all I heard from the Shelter staff was........."but he MIGHT, and what IF, and MAYBE blah blah will happen..........

We did bring the Kitten home, changed her name, changed the information on her chip and her and the dog play, cuddle and clean each other all the time.

So, when it is easier to adopt from a Shelter without all the "Might, what if's and maybe's" and the ridiculous holier than thou so much better than you attitude is dropped..........more people WILL ADOPT FROM A HUMANE SOCIETY SHELTER. Until that time, they will continue to purchase the animal they want with little to no aggravation outside of the fact that they are forced to "PAY" for an animal that more than likely came from a puppy/kitten/hamster/snake/gerbil/goldfish mill.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
And for dogs sakes... never, never, never ever buy a puppy at a pet shop or flea market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Doing so only produces more dogs that we will have to kill

And for dogs sakes...never, never, never ever put clothes on a dog, they are not children, have their own natural fur coat and look absolutely ridiculous.

When you do this it only produces more publically humiliated dogs who wish they were gerbils.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,615 times
I'm sick of people at the park treating me like I'm some snooty elitist just because I have a golden retriever. I grew up with the breed. I know it well, and I love it. I wouldn't want anything else.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
And for dogs sakes...never, never, never ever put clothes on a dog, they are not children, have their own natural fur coat and look absolutely ridiculous.

When you do this it only produces more publically humiliated dogs who wish they were gerbils.
Couldn't agree more!!!

Plus don't over bathe skin conditions are the main cause of too much bathing. Dogs are suppose to stink.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
3~Shepherds, want another abused shepherd girl? She came into the shelter skeletal, blind, and with neurological problems. She is boarding now, has most vision back and use of her legs and is putting on weight. Isn't Penelope beautiful?
Look at that face.....where is she at?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
As an adoptee, I get tired of the "please adopt a child" on threads about pet adoption.

Also as a 1960s domestic infant adoptee, one can rest assured that it was never about what was in the child's best interest, it was initially about what was perceived to be in society's best interest and then to fill a demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Right on, Susankate! As an adoptive parent, I too cringe when people compare the two.

Dogs and children are NOT equals and "adopting" a dog is nothing like the adoption of a child. Trust me...I know what I'm talking about as I have done both.
I'm with the two of you how are people comparing dogs to humans in that way I'd think maybe these posters are young and have no concept of adopting a baby, from a dog.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM

62 posts, read 175,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We have adopted every dog we've ever owned.
Us too. Five total, over the years.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Save a Life,
These dogs deserve better.
Yes they do

Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Someone actually defending backyard breeders who are destroying the bloodlines of countless dog breeds, who have destroyed lifespans and working ability by breeding genetically weak and often aggressive, neurotic, and reactive dogs, and who sell dogs for cheap with zero oversight? Yeah, you're going on ignore. No point wasting any additional time on a bunch of incoherence defending the slaughter of millions of dogs a year and the destruction of purebred bloodlines.
To play devil's advocate here, I could EASILY argue that it's so-called reputable breeders, breeders taking part in shows, that are just as guilty of ruining breeds as BYBs. Documentaries like "Pedigrees Exposed" show the ugly side of these dog shows that many reputable breeders participate in. For example, is an English Bulldog breeder who is breeding exactly to AKC conformation really reputable considering how messed up the AKC standards about the breed are? Is a BYB who is breeding less than "perfect" English bulldogs with slightly longer muzzles that would never enter a show ring but remain true to the breed's personality traits and history any less reputable? Let's be real here, a lot of the purebred bloodlines out there are already diseased and yet many breeders keep breeding less than perfect dogs because they've won tons of BIS awards and other championships.

The term "BYB" has been twisted to the point that many consider it 100% negative, but there are BYBs that take into account the health and welfare of their lines without bothering with all the pageantry of dog shows and AKC types. There are BYB out there who never bother with AKC standards and concern themselves more with function. Those people are not evil or dooming dogs to dogs to die by doing so.

Last edited by eevee; 05-20-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs