Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You should always check out the neighbors before you buy, especially if you have pets.
How do you really do that, though? It sounds like a good idea but how can you tell someone is a tool before you move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times
It really doesn't matter if you, or your dog, dislike your neighbor. The dog can't just sit there and bark at him. Your dog is your responsibility and it's your responsibility to train him to be quiet on your command.

A bark or two is one thing, but constant is just wrong. As soon as you hear that bark, go outside and bring him inside. Jerk or not, your neighbor has the right to use and enjoy his personal property just as you have the right to use and enjoy yours.

Not working with your dog will only make your situation worse, and could very well end up with you losing your dog. Do the right thing, you know what it is.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Tell your neighbor that you want to be a good neighbor and will do anything you can to be sure your dog doesnt bother him But then tell him that if by accident your dog ever does come on to his property and he KILLS it that you will make sure that he regrets it the rest of his like,,PERIOD....strife is a terrible thing and kindness can often kill it,,good luck

Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
I own a sheltie collie that is about 3 years old. She is generally very accepting of most people. She is shy sometimes but always eventually accepts everyone. We recently rented one of our bedrooms in our home to a very friendly man. He is about 70 years old. Our dog literally growls at him every time he even approaches the front door. She sleeps with me every night and when she hears him get up in the morning and leaves for work each morning she sits on my bed and growls until he is gone from the house. I have tried to get her to accept him but she refuses. One evening I even gave him a piece of meat to coax her to him. She got fierce and growled even more and would not take the meat from him. He has lived with us for over 3 months now and nothing has improved. We are wondering if she can sense something we can't. I would sure love some opinions on this.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
Default sheltie

I forgot to mention in my post that my sheltie is very well socialized. I have 5 children with 5 spouses. I have 13 grandchildren and many friends and neighbors that our dog has had no issues with. She is very friendly to everyone except to this one person.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Lavaun,

Have you ever rented rooms before? I think the sheltie is just weirded out by having a stranger living in the house. Normally when you have guests sleeping over, you are greeting them at the door and saying goodbye to them at the door. Now there is a stranger coming and going at all hours. Maybe your sheltie just isn't used to it. Three months isn't a long time for such a major change.

All of the other people who come into your home have a strong relationship with you that the dog can sense. If there's nothing wrong with this man, maybe the dog is just sensing you are not really close to him and doesn't think he belongs as a result. Have you ever rented a room to a stranger in the past?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
I always trust my dog's instincts when she doesn't like someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs