Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,638 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I really need some help with this situation of mine and any help would be appreciated!

Before I get into the main issue there's some background to it...the first week I moved into this house, I had a Golden Retriever at the time, probably 5 years old? Anyways, he accidentally got through the gate and walked into my neighbor's backyard. Now mind you, they ALSO have a dog of their own. Well my dog literally sniffed around their yard and left, and came back to us. Right after this happened my neighbor came over and told us that if our dog ever goes into their yard again he's going to hit him over the head with a baseball bat...pretty much threatening to kill my dog. Granted I know I was at fault for having my dog slip through the gate, but threatening to kill my dog when he did no aggressive behavior towards them at all is uncalled for. We have a police report filed on this. We've had problems with these neighbors ever since.

Unfortunately my dog had passed, and I now own a new dog, a german shepherd mix. She's very well trained but is always a little anxious around people she doesn't know (although she has met many many people). However, I can't seem to stop her from absolutely HATING my neighbor. He's outside like 90% of the time because he's a smoker. The minute my dog see's him she has an extremely mean bark, that I never hear her do it toward anyone else BUT him. I have no doubts that he has provoked her at one point. She also won't listen to me when he's outside and she's constantly barking.

I have a feeling my dog hates him because she knows he's a bad person. Quite frankly he's an *******. He never has anything nice to say...he litters his cigarette butts in our yard which also causes a concern for my dog incase my dog ever ate one. I really have no clue what to do. Building a wood fence isn't an option because we don't have the money for that... and I know he's not willing to try and meet my dog... any help? I'm really stuck here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,623 times
You say there's a gate, so there's an enclosure of some kind, is it a chain link fence?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
In another thread recently, someone mentioned bamboo roll fencing. I was just looking, and this is even cheaper.

Backyard X-Scapes 6 ft. H. x 16 ft. L Reed Fencing-HDD-DAN-RF01 at The Home Depot

Sorry you got stuck with such a jerk for a neighbor!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
Not much you can do when a dog knows the true colors of a person.
The only way the dogs behavior will change is if the person hates changes what is in their heart and soul.
You pretty much nailed it that your dog knows what kind of person your neighbor is.
At best, you could sit with your dog when she is 'disturbed' give her love and tell her 'shsh' but let her know that she's a good dog for being annoyed with those kinds of people.
Let her grumble, but not excessively bark.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,156 times
... and throw the cig butts back in his yard!

Glad you got a new pet:>)

Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
Your dog is probably picking up on your feelings about this neighbor and therefore is barking a snarling at him. As far as the cigs are concerned I'd be calling the police and document all the crap he's throwing in your yard.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,833 times
Smart dog

If you just want her to be a little quieter in the yard, maybe give her something to keep her occupied like a bully stick, a Buster Cube filled with little treats, a Kong stuffed with peanut butter (let it sit in the freezer overnight to make it longer lasting), or chicken broth ice cubes.

Creating as much of a visual barrier as possible might be helpful too. She'll still hear and smell him, but if she can't see him it could cut down on her (vocal) reaction. Depends on which sense she naturally favors.

When she barks at the man you might even try telling her "thanks girl, I know." It's not your words that matter, but the intention you're conveying. When dogs bark that way, it can be partially directed at the stimulus but also largely directed at the owner as an alert. By letting her know you got the message and acknowledging the threat, you can sometimes settle her a bit.

If she'll choose food over barking, that's great. At least you have that "tool" at your disposal. Use stinky, irresistible treats to distract her while the bad man is outside. As an added bonus, forming the association between the man and food rewards can change her reaction to him over time. If every time he comes out, she gets 4 treats, what will start to happen is when he comes out she'll come to you for her treats instead of focusing on him.

I would never trust this man however. I am not going to get all dramatic in this post, but be very vigilant and cautious. Don't let your dog out in the yard unsupervised, don't let her eat anything that may have been thrown over the fence by the neighbor, and by all means secure your yard in such a way that it would be impossible for her to get out on her own and wander over to the neighbor's.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Putting up a wood fence may not help, my dogs bark through the wood fence if they feel like something is worth barking at. They also put an eye to the space between the boards and look through.

Sometimes dogs have an instinct about whether someone is a bad person or a good person...it sounds like your girl knows what kind of person your neighbor is.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcuzXD View Post
Hello everyone! I really need some help with this situation of mine and any help would be appreciated!

Before I get into the main issue there's some background to it...the first week I moved into this house, I had a Golden Retriever at the time, probably 5 years old? Anyways, he accidentally got through the gate and walked into my neighbor's backyard. Now mind you, they ALSO have a dog of their own. Well my dog literally sniffed around their yard and left, and came back to us. Right after this happened my neighbor came over and told us that if our dog ever goes into their yard again he's going to hit him over the head with a baseball bat...pretty much threatening to kill my dog. Granted I know I was at fault for having my dog slip through the gate, but threatening to kill my dog when he did no aggressive behavior towards them at all is uncalled for. We have a police report filed on this. We've had problems with these neighbors ever since.

Unfortunately my dog had passed, and I now own a new dog, a german shepherd mix. She's very well trained but is always a little anxious around people she doesn't know (although she has met many many people). However, I can't seem to stop her from absolutely HATING my neighbor. He's outside like 90% of the time because he's a smoker. The minute my dog see's him she has an extremely mean bark, that I never hear her do it toward anyone else BUT him. I have no doubts that he has provoked her at one point. She also won't listen to me when he's outside and she's constantly barking.

I have a feeling my dog hates him because she knows he's a bad person. Quite frankly he's an *******. He never has anything nice to say...he litters his cigarette butts in our yard which also causes a concern for my dog incase my dog ever ate one. I really have no clue what to do. Building a wood fence isn't an option because we don't have the money for that... and I know he's not willing to try and meet my dog... any help? I'm really stuck here...
You should get it on camera when he throws a cig bud and call the police, if that is too much trouble, throw your dog's poop in his yard.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
I wouldn't do anything to upset the neighbor, because he might react by harming the dog. Of course he shouldn't get away with tossing his cigarette butts over the fence, but it's best to avoid reminding this type of person of one's existence when possible. I'd also not leave my dog outside unattended while the neighbor is at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs