Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

One thing I am curious about--if pit bulls receive so much bad press, and are responsible for so many attacks etc, why do so many people INSIST on that specific breed when there are at least 1000 other breeds to choose from?

Understand--this is NOT a troll question. I am not trying to start an argument about pit bulls being evil etc. In fact, a very good friend of mine who is into dogs is one of the ones who takes up for how pit bulls have received bad press & that it's not the breed it's how the owner trains them etc. At the same time, he owns about 4-odd dogs, and not one of them as I recall is a pit bull, although he has owned them before.

No, my question is simply this--why do so many people seem to prefer that breed when there are 1000s of other breeds that must also be suitable for pet ownership and those don't have the controversy? It would seem a wise thing to simply go with another breed and avoid the controversy, that so many go for that breed tells me either they're just giving the middle finger to the controversy because they consider it foolish, or there's something genuinely very compelling about the breed unique to only that breed that's a genuine advantage of going with it.

Again--this is NOT a thread meant to condemn the breed nor rile up people who are defensive about it, it's a genuine fact-finding mission to where I'm curious why the breed is so popular.

LRH

Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I started volunteering at a shelter, not knowing many pit bulls very well, and not too sure about them. It didn't take long until I realized that at any given time, my favorite dogs there were usually pit bulls. They are affectionate in the extreme, playful and fun-loving. So many other volunteers have said, I didn't used to trust pit bulls before I started doing this. They just worm their way into your heart. I've got 2 pit mixes at home now, along with our 3 cats. We've always had big mutts of one kind or another, and loved them all. But the pitties have become special to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Sweet, human-loving, great around kids (nanny dogs), not vocal, velcro, smart, loyal, couch potatoes. How's that for a start?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Because people who know them don't buy into the controversy, some of which revolves around misidentified dogs, others that are the victims of being trained to be vicious.

Just as I wouldn't hesitate to say that German Shepherds are my favourite breed of dog, and I would happily own them to the end of my days, despite having their own "scary" reputation. The beliefs of an ignorant public that don't know anything about dogs doesn't square with actual reality.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I remember back when Dobermans were the dogs that had the "fear focus" on them. What happened to that? Replaced by the breed of the moment, that's what.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
(subject2change) Your response somewhat has answered my question--the rest, not as much.

Again, I don't ask to be combative, or to fan any flames, or to drudge up rebuttals "hey the breed has received bad press it doesn't deserve."

The thing I am getting at is this: even IF pit bulls have an undeserved bad reputation, why would someone CHOOSE that breed over the 1000s of others that are also available and don't have the reputation? For instance, I hear Golden Retrievers do well with kids. I've heard some say that Labrador Retrievers do well, and I can say that if my experience is any guide it is true, because the own I owned was very obedient and quiet (any dog I own MUST keep their mouth shut, I hideously abhor barking, and must not disobey my orders--e.g., if I have to tie you up for awhile, don't refuse to come to me because you know I'm going to do that, just do as you're told regardless).

In other words, if a pit bull is actually a good dog, fine no problem, but if other breeds are also good dogs, why the gravitation towards one specific breed at the exclusion of all the others? That would seem as silly to me as targeting all pit bull attacks over the others, unless--again--there are qualities pit bulls possess that NO OTHER BREED does. By contrast, when I took on the Lab Mix dog I owned, I did so because that specific dog seemed very obedient & quiet, and was. If it had been a pit bull, Doberman, Great Dane, s`-h-`i+`t-=z+~u, whatever, I didn't care what breed it was, all I cared about what that it was a good dog period.

LRH

Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
One thing I am curious about--if pit bulls receive so much bad press, and are responsible for so many attacks etc, why do so many people INSIST on that specific breed when there are at least 1000 other breeds to choose from?

Understand--this is NOT a troll question. I am not trying to start an argument about pit bulls being evil etc. In fact, a very good friend of mine who is into dogs is one of the ones who takes up for how pit bulls have received bad press & that it's not the breed it's how the owner trains them etc. At the same time, he owns about 4-odd dogs, and not one of them as I recall is a pit bull, although he has owned them before.

No, my question is simply this--why do so many people seem to prefer that breed when there are 1000s of other breeds that must also be suitable for pet ownership and those don't have the controversy? It would seem a wise thing to simply go with another breed and avoid the controversy, that so many go for that breed tells me either they're just giving the middle finger to the controversy because they consider it foolish, or there's something genuinely very compelling about the breed unique to only that breed that's a genuine advantage of going with it.

Again--this is NOT a thread meant to condemn the breed nor rile up people who are defensive about it, it's a genuine fact-finding mission to where I'm curious why the breed is so popular.

LRH
The answer is quite simple: People like what they like. Some like poodles, some like Jack Russell Terriers, some like Border Collies, some like German Shepherds, some like Pitbulls.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 PM

511 posts, read 838,343 times
I chose my boy Harry because most of the dogs dying in my shelter are pit mixes. It's so unfair to them. Granted, he does want to eat my cats and he has food aggression issues but other than that, he is a very sweet, friendly boy.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
In other words, if a pit bull is actually a good dog, fine no problem, but if other breeds are also good dogs, why the gravitation towards one specific breed at the exclusion of all the others? That would seem as silly to me as targeting all pit bull attacks over the others, unless--again--there are qualities pit bulls possess that NO OTHER BREED does. By contrast, when I took on the Lab Mix dog I owned, I did so because that specific dog seemed very obedient & quiet, and was. If it had been a pit bull, Doberman, Great Dane, s`-h-`i+`t-=z+~u, whatever, I didn't care what breed it was, all I cared about what that it was a good dog period.

LRH
It's a bit of a straw man since most bully breed owners don't own them to the exclusion of all other dog breeds or mixes. And among those that do, some do it for social justice reasons, that their local shelters are filled with lovable bully breeds that have trouble getting adopted. If someone's a committed shelter dog adopter and happens to like bully breeds at all, then that is often what they will get repeatedly.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I like pitties b/c they are kind, friendly, and strong. I think mine will defend me - or not, maybe lick an intruder to pieces (but that's why I also have Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson). I got him b/c I felt sorry for him being returned to the shelter for being too energetic for young kids. It didn't really matter that he was a pittie. I will look for another b/c they have high death rates in shelters and it's not fair to them. Texas forbids breed-specific legislation but insurance companies for your homeowners is bad; State Farm insures me. I like to show people who meet him that he is sweet and convert them to believing pitties are not all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs