Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

I wrote about this before - we've had Chase for almost 7 weeks - he is just 6 months; seems very smart.

About 2 weeks after we got him, he did a #1 on the tile and then about 3 days a #2 on the carpet.
Five days went by - another #1 on the carpet. We didn't handle the 3rd time right - told him NO and pointed his nose at it.

My husband is so patient with him and takes him out on routine. He is being crate trained and has not gone in the crate. We figured out 30 minutes after he comes back in, he drinks water and 30 minutes later, he needs to go. So, we have been doing that. We also take him out in the backyard a lot for runs and our other dog plays with him all the time. They seem to love each other and he seems very happy.

My husband went home tonight and took him for a nice long walk around 7 PM. They came back in, got their treats, drank some water and after about 30 minutes, my husband took him out again. He did just a little but my husband walked him up and down the street (usual) and he didn't seem to need to go anymore. They came back into the house, my husband went to turn off the TV and little Chase was right next to me, looked up at him and did a little squirt on the carpet!

My husband came back and said - what are we doing wrong? We have showed him tons of love and picked him up and put him on his lease and he goes outside.

All our other Shelties were trained so quickly. This little guy is adorable; he's so sweet; this is his only problem area! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
He's still a puppy, while he has the idea, his bladder/bowel muscles arent as developed as they'll be when he's full grown, small dogs sometimes take a bit longer, imo. I would chalk it up to that, he probably just got distracted and he may not even have realized he was 'going'. A couple other thoughts, is he neutered, could he have been marking? - also while it might not be that common, maybe he has a urinary tract infection? - would just keep a close eye on him and see how he is in the next few days. Maybe taking him out more often would help? We have a 5 yr old girl who half the time doesnt want to go outside - will actually walk away from the leash while her sister (same age) lovvves walks - yet when we take her out, she'll 'go' really fast so it's not like she doesnt have to go, go figure, she doesnt have accidents inside but pretty much I think it's just to our diligence in taking her out there often and fast, even if it's just for 5 minutes (she will let us know, thankfully, 9x out of 10).

PS Another thought, you're probably not doing this, given you have 2, but I wouldnt free feed, as they can nosh/graze all day and will have to 'go' any time which makes the pottytraining hard (ours are fed 2x/day so we usually have an idea of when they have to 'go', of course the schedule can be tweaked if we're going out or have other things going on, they tend to 'go w/ the flow' (no pun intended).

Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Even though you're experienced dog people, maybe you and your husband can find something out of this that will work for you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ing-puppy.html

Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
They came back into the house, my husband went to turn off the TV and little Chase was right next to me, looked up at him and did a little squirt on the carpet!
When you say a little squirt do you mean it didn't seem like a bladder emptying pee, just a dribble? This could be "submissive wetting" a.k.a. nervous wetting and there are specific techniques to help.

How often is he having accidents and how often is he having success? Was the incident described in your post a pretty isolated one or is Chase peeing in the house on a daily basis?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile See below

Someone mentioned to us last night about neutering. He is just 6 months - our last vet told us to do it at 6 months - it will be done in the next week - most likely a good thought - never thought of that - our other 3 all done before 6 months.

These incidents are isolated. We want to get him out and about more. The other day, my husband was home all day, played with him and other dog all day and then it happened. He had probably been out 12-13 times that day.

Eating/drinking - there's always water but for him, we only feed him 2 times a day; our other one - only one time a day - works for us.

He is literally the sweetest little guy; I just love him and he's friendlier each day - I think he was being trained as a showdog but loud noises scare the you know what out of him. When you go to pick him up, he jumps into your arms.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
For a weekend, keep him in his crate unless he is attached to you by a leash when in the house. Take him out at regular intervals and praise him when he goes outside. Just don't give him the opportunity. That's how my friend handles it with rescues who won't housebreak.

But he's young and you haven't had him that long. Give it some time.

Also, don't push his face in it or point to it and scold him after the fact. None of this means anything to a dog. He needs to be stopped in the act and taken outside.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
It will be fine, just give it sometime. Pee and pooh are the least of your worries, thanks that he is healthy and and has caring parents. It will all work out. Puppies are different and just need love and obviously, taken out more than older dogs. It will work out, no worries.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Use the post Dawn listed and also the keep 'em on a leash if not in a crate. You also might have to seperate from the other 2 dogs for a while until the idea gets floated. I'd suggest seperate feedings in a crate, seperate outings to potty...obviously not getting the idea just yet.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My precious Sheltie, Becky was a submissive pee er. It broke my heart. If you talked sweet to her she would just squat and go. it got to be such a problem we had to put up a fence and keep her mostly outside or on the screen porch. I hated to do that but this was almost 40 years ago and there were no rescuers or behaviorists or rescue groups where we were living. And I sure wasn't about to pass on a dog with such a problem to unsuspecting person.

Good luck

Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Y'know, there is no way we could ever keep Teddy crated or leashed when he's indoors. Not gonna happen. He and Karma play all the time. They have a ball together. I know that after a rowdy play session, Teddy needs to pee, so I take him out. Same with naps. When he wakes up, he goes out. He's such a great puppy; if it takes awhile longer than we'd like for him to be fully housetrained, so be it. I'm just happy that no matter where he is in our garden, when I yell TEDDY, COME! -- he comes racing over to me and sits. A good recall is a lot harder for me to train, so I am delighted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs