U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,345,689 times

Advertisements

This is an update to my original post below about Kona, age 11 ("Might have to make some tough decisions...").

Vet JUST called and it's adenocarcinoma. We are not going to put her through surgeries, etc. That is actually a relief for me and I'm sure many of you get that. There's no gray area, it's definitely cancer.

I just went to give her a hug but as I was started to cry, I left her. She gets very concerned when I cry...my sensitive girl.

Going for a recheck of her incision area on Thursday so will talk more with vet then about how best to keep her comfortable. However, I firmly believe in "better a day too early, than a day to late."

You guys are actually the first to know. Don't want to call DH at work and the kids are happily watching TV.

Thanks so much for your support. I've been on edge since this whole thing started and your kinds words have helped a lot. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM

1,697 posts, read 4,142,180 times
I understand the feeling of relief. You know now exactly what it is, and you know she won't be suffering through any surgeries. She can just keep living her life and being a dog instead of recovering from operations and treatments. I'm certain that you'll cherish every day with her and keep her as comfortable as possible. Will continue to keep your family in my thoughts. Sending my love to Kona.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,067,395 times
My shoulders just collapsed... first in sadness and then in relief.

I wish that City Data didn't make curse words into asterisks... as soon as I saw your post, my first reaction (and words out of my mouth) was F and S and F again.

But then I read your post and my shoulders collapsed, like I said, in sadness and then relief for you.

Atina... much love to you and Kona. I need to go cry now and I don't want Kona to know.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 17,344,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Going for a recheck of her incision area on Thursday so will talk more with vet then about how best to keep her comfortable. However, I firmly believe in "better a day too early, than a day to late."
I am so very sorry.

Having seen three dogs through osteosarcoma, I am so impressed that you believe your above statement.
It is absolutely true.

Hugs and strength to you and Kona.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,892,663 times
I'm so sorry for you and Kona, and I can definitely understand the feeling of "relief" when at least you finally have a concrete answer, even if it's not a happy one. At least you know the path forward to make the rest of the time as good and as comfortable as possible.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,241,455 times
I'm so sorry. That's rough.

I totally understand what you're going through. I agree a day too early is better than a day too late.

Please let us know what the vet says about how long and what to expect.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,923,608 times
I'm so sorry, I went through this only last year with my heart dog a JRT named Gator. He was around 16ish. My vet had me put him on steroids for a while but it did give me time to say good bye and spoil him rotten and give him all the no no's like canned dog food that he loved and I fed him lots and lots of stuff so Gator crossed the Rainbow Bridge by waddling across. I made a bucket list for him, he loved car rides so he got at least a short one every day, megga treats, lots pampering and love oh and did I mention food - he wouldn't want me to forget that.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,241,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm so sorry, I went through this only last year with my heart dog a JRT named Gator. He was around 16ish. My vet had me put him on steroids for a while but it did give me time to say good bye and spoil him rotten and give him all the no no's like canned dog food that he loved and I fed him lots and lots of stuff so Gator crossed the Rainbow Bridge by waddling across. I made a bucket list for him, he loved car rides so he got at least a short one every day, megga treats, lots pampering and love oh and did I mention food - he wouldn't want me to forget that.
That's sweet. I've been subconsciously doing that with my basset. I take him for a car ride everyday. He's not even terminally ill, just declining with age. But I'm making up for not doing enough bucket list stuff for my 16 year old lab. He lived for 6 years with his disease so we had no way of knowing WHEN. He turned bad sooooooo fast there was no time for spoiling him with great meals Oh, we loved him and everything, but he wouldn't have lived those 6 years if we hadn't kept him on a strict diet. I guess I feel guilty, like I could have done more for him. Those last hours were horrendous, and I wish I had known when a day sooner would have been. Enough about that, getting teary eyed. Head up, focus on the basset who is here and now.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,453,734 times
I am so sorry Atina, but I know what a relief it is just to finally know exactly what is happening so you can make good decisions from there.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,892,413 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs