Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times

Advertisements

Obviously there are a lot of dog lovers on this forum and so I was hoping for some feedback. It is my moms birthday coming up and since she has everything I try to think out of the box for a gift. I am also not wealthy so I try be creative under a budget. Being so close to Mothers Day it is hard though I got her a pretty necklace for that holiday. Anyhow her dog is her life she gets so much joy out of talking about him and he is a therapy dog etc. I saw online people who do pet portraits where they take from a picture of your dog and then paint him or her. They look so realistic if done nicely. Would you like something like that?
In my moms home she has a huge painting similar of her other 2 dogs that passed but I could not afford that size. Also a long time ago just as a fun surprise I got a picture mug done but she said she only wants the one I got her of that because it is special tribute to the loss of her dog. She loved that cheap gift and still talks about it today.
Any other thoughts on a gift or a gift you may have gotten as a pet lover is appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
What's the budget?

One thing I got as a gift that I LOVED (that was taken in a subsequent robbery while we were on vacation!) was a purse with my dogs' pictures on it. The purses/bags are kind of pricey, but this place has coin purses and lunch totes, pillows, makeup bags, phone covers, etc.

https://www.snaptotes.com/Category/VIEW-ALL-C356.html

You might see if there is a place that screen prints in your area and has the ability to do this for you.

Another thing I got from a "bestie" was a large recyclable tote from Petsmart just full of homemade treats, new leash and collar, ear swabs for an eternally wet ear, bully sticks, a sweater for a smaller dog...lord, I don't remember what all. I'm sure she dropped some serious money on it; none of those things are too pricey alone, but together it surely added up.

Here's a thought - do you have lots of pictures of the dog? Get one of those digital picture frames that rotates the pictures through on some schedule. They actually are kind of cool....if you had pix of the dog doing therapy that would be nice.

The only other thing I could think of would be a donation to Delta Society - well, I think it's called Pet Partners now - either in the name of the dog she still has or in memorium. Your mom knows what important work therapy dogs do - it might be a way to give without giving her some other "thing". I'd like it!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Oh, I think a portrait is a great gift - it doesn't have to be the same size as the other ones either, she prob. has a smaller wall or another room where it can hang. I really like that idea. Another thought w/b a gift card for photos, Penneys or Sears could prob. do it reasonably - we had it done yrs ago and it came out really dark, in hindsight I prob. s/h complained and had it redone but at the time I thought it was pretty nice -(w/ our young kids at the time). You'd have to see when they'd take dogs as they prob. don't take them during regular hours (maybe early AM or late PM before the store clothes). Picture Perfect is another one that prob. takes dog pictures. I think a portrait (or photos) is a super idea, she'll love it!

PS Another thought - when a special dog of mine passed, a friend had a heart-shaped locket made from a closeup picture of her on it (I had to give her the photo so I knew something was in the works) - she sent a photo away to a company that specialized in doing them (this was about 15 yrs ago. prob. a lot of companies do them now) - it was done in sterling and is very very special - that might be another idea of your mother likes jewelry and I think it was pretty reasonable (am thinking $20's or $30's)

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 05-07-2013 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm flexible on the budget and all these would be fine and may even do a couple of them. The tote idea is so cute and I also like the digital picture frame. The locket is so special but I am not sure she would wear it but I love the idea. Thinking though she may wear it because she loves her dogs so much.
My mom actually did the pet portrait session I think at Sears for my gramps of her and her dog.
Thank you again. This forum is always so helpful.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
I think the dog portrait is a nice idea, too, but you'll want to see a lot of samples of the artist's work. Tastes can vary, of course, but I wouldn't want a portrait of my dog looking like a cartoon character...

If you have a lot of really good dog photos you may want to consider having them made into a nice glossy hard-cover photo book for your mom. "My Publisher" has a do-it-yourself program that you download for free, and then you put your photos together according to several different templates. You can be really creative if you want, with different styles and background colors, or you can just use their drag-and-drop format. I've used them several times for family gifts, and for one thing, their products are really nice and professional-looking, and for another, they have a rush turnaround time of less than a week. If you don't want to create a photo book, you may just want to use their templates to make a calendar with dog pictures--that's what I did before daring to put a photo book together!

Photo Books | Photo Cards | Canvas Prints | Calendars | MyPublisher

(I'm not affiliated with them! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs