Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

My vet no longer carries Advantix II and instead recommended Activyl. I would like some personal stories before I use it. I'm in N.C. where fleas and ticks are a real problem almost year round.

Activyl and Activyl Tick Plus - kills fleas, ticks, and probably ants too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
It's pretty new and as a general rule I avoid new meds. Why is your vet no longer carrying Advantix (a fine medication) and why the switch to a new med? I smell kickbacks from his saleperson. Maybe a cruise, or a year's worth of steak dinners, or free meds for the vet for a year to resell at profit. Not kidding BTW. Good friend of mine is a vet.

Seriously, I would want to know why and would not rely on any single person's recommendation, be they a vet or a consumer. Was there an issue with Advantix? Were they seeing resistant strains? Side effects? Cost differential? Quite frankly "I just decided to stop selling Brand X and am now recommending Brand Y" from my vet would mandate a whole lot of questions and answers from me.

I'd be asking these questions of my veterinary service provider, who I PAY, way before I'd be asking them of random anonymous people on teh interwebs.

DogAware.com News Archive: Flea and Tick Control

Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
nk, I'm also in NC, and I switched to activyl a few months ago. I have not witnessed any side effects. I used Vectra before, but it seemed to drive her crazy...she would roll on her back for about a week after applying.

No fleas or ticks, either (on the dog!), knock on wood...

Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
nk, I'm also in NC, and I switched to activyl a few months ago. I have not witnessed any side effects. I used Vectra before, but it seemed to drive her crazy...she would roll on her back for about a week after applying.

No fleas or ticks, either (on the dog!), knock on wood...
Thank you for your comments. I trust my vet not to be using a product which could cause harm. She helped me get my precious Oscar through a serious illness a few years ago and I see no reason why I should suspect her of anything less than professional.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
It is OTC, correct?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM

yes. I think most flea and tick products are OTC while you need a script for heartworm meds after dogs are tested. Give heartworm preventative to a dog already infected can sometimes be fatal. Also activyl is cheaper than Advantix II.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 52,253 times
My Yorkie was placed on Activyl Tick Plus. It has been a week since his first treatment and no signs of fleas. The only issue is that he is scratching a lot. He has sensitive skin and it does not surprise me that he would be in the 10% of dogs that would have this reaction. I am waiting a few more days to see if this subsides before calling his Vet.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I still am happy with Revolution.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
trifexis and comfortis you do need a scrip for and some vets will allow you to get what you had been using online
as dr foster and smith etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM

323 posts, read 562,034 times
I've been using activyl now for my pets because it was able to be purchased at our local shelter. My only complaint is it seems to work very well for only about 3 weeks so far, not really a full 30 days and unlike advantage, doesn't seem to quite kill off the flea population in the house. I know that these meds aren't neccessrily to kill off flea pops in carpets and furniture but for whatever reason they always have worked for me in the past to kill fleas on my floors and wherever the cats lay. Within a week I've always been 100% flea free. With activyl this doesn't seem to be the case. We still vacuum fleas up daily, who are very much alive. But its an awesome medication on the animal for the time it works. We applied a dose to our 3 cats on ;uly 12 and its now august 6 and we see healthy, active fleas on the cat again this week. So we are appx one week short til the next application yet the fleas are back. I am considering going back to advantage to compare the two. But for the price and ease of attainment (don't have to pay vet fees and I can suport my local shelter) I would say activyl is worth it. I paid 13.00 per dose for it.

I must find a way to kill our carpet population of fleas asap. If anyone has suggestions I'd love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs