Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times

Advertisements

Please help me all you puppy or small dog owners. I rescued a five month old Yorkiepoo night mare back in February, no not the dog, my friend from the dog!!! She begged me to save her from this six pound pee pee factory. I'm his third owner and trying to house break him has left me defeated and totally at the mercy of this very small dog with a huge personality. Help me end this nightmare please. Any tips would be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
What is your method for house breaking him? I have a miniature doxie and it took me six months to house break him. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Are you using a crate? The dog should never be given free run of the house. You must watch him constantly. I would literally put Max on his leash and clip the leash to my jeans and he would go room to room with me. I never let him out of my sight so he didn't have the opportunity to sneak off and have an accident. That way I could see him start to go and I could correct him. He earned freedom in the house by using the bathroom outside. If he wouldn't go outside then he would come in and go in his crate and I'd keep taking him out every 15 or so minutes until he finally went. When he went outside we would have a big party. With really delicious treats. Lots and lots of praise. It can be done by being consistent and very patient.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM

I like the leash idea but we have another dog and they play constantly. Howie is about 30 pounds and I can see a potential fall with the leash method. Joey is crated but only for a couple of hours at a time. John goes to sleep around 930 and I'm home from work around 1145. I stay with him until about 3am and he is crated until around 530 am when John gets up, then crated again from 630 am until around 9am when he wakes me up. We were taking him out every 30 minutes which involved dressing him in two sweaters and a coat. If he didn't do his business we would watch for the warning signs and take him out again. He was doing really good until a couple of days ago. He started weeing under the dining room table again after weeks of behaving. I feed him in the spot he wees now and I have his bed and crate under the dining room table to help him associate it with living space. I don't understand why he are at square one again after he was doing so well.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,420 times
It happens. When the dog is doing well with potty training the owners get complacent (even without realizing) and that's when we see accidents start up. Approach this as if you have an 8 week old puppy and keep up that intense potty training strategy for a solid 2 months before relaxing at all. That means constant, direct supervision any time the dog is out of his crate. The instant the dog starts to have an accident it must be caught and interrupted (not in a scary, intimidating way, just in an urgent "woops!" kind of way). So interrupt and quickly bring dog to his potty spot to finish. Every single outdoor potty should be rewarded and praised right there in the potty spot immediately after he finishes (not once he's back in the house). Proper potties should be followed by an enjoyable activity such as outdoor play time (we don't want to send the message that potty = end of all fun, back inside IF the dog enjoys outdoor time. If on the other hand the dog hates being outside, then outdoor potty should = back in the house.)

It's awesome to hear he plays well with your other dog. Notice any time he pauses in their play, wanders off, starts sniffing the ground, etc. - taking a break from play is a good indication he's feeling the need to "go". I'm sure you already know to take him out frequently, especially after he wakes up from a nap, after he eats or drinks, after a play session, etc.

You are cleaning accidents with a specially formulated enzymatic cleaner right? Douse the area, really soak it. Use that Nature's Miracle / Simple Solution liberally. Scent is powerful when it comes to where a dog potties. The scent of a previous potty triggers their brain to eliminate there again.

I have a good feeling about you for this dog. I seriously think you can do this, potty train the impossible-to-potty-train dog! Just think, putting in a couple months of annoying hard work will result in a lifetime of a perfectly potty trained pet. It's worth it. Treat the potty training plan as if you're dealing with a baby pup, don't get comfortable until he hasn't had a single accident for 2 months. When you reach that milestone you can start to gradually relax the plan a little bit. I think you know what you're doing, you just have to do it longer than would normally be required for an average dog.

The worst thing that can happen in this process is for accidents to go unnoticed. As you know, the act of relieving oneself is in itself rewarding. So if he is permitted to have that rewarding experience without interruption, it will form a strongly reinforced habit. We need every single indoor potty to be interrupted (and dog rushed to finish outside) and we need every single outdoor potty to result in praise and treats.

Again make sure when you interrupt his accidents it is just that, an interruption. Not a correction. It's "Woops!! Let's hurry and get you to the right spot for that!", not "bad dog, no no".

I'm also hopeful that your other dog will be helpful in the potty training process. He can't stop the pup from having accidents but he sure can model the correct potty behavior (holding it inside, pottying outside.)

I believe you can and will be successful! Good luck and stay vigilant.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
okay let me ask you ? do you have a tile area in your home ? if so purchase one of those pens not crate pen and put some pee pee pads in there with him and if he goes on the pad then make a fuss over him and I hope that works for you . I had a friend whose dog /puppy would do the same thing until she tried this method and it worked .Continue to work with him outside too and eventually it will be worked out . Good Luck .

Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM

32 posts, read 64,749 times
You are probably doing this already, but if you catch your little rain maker in the act, do not scold him but be sure to take him immediately outside. Always take him to the same spot outside and use plenty of positive reinforcement. Praise and treats.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
There were probably 10 times when I thought AHA! Max is finally trained and then he would have another accident. Just keep going with what you are doing and try not to get discouraged. Setbacks are normal. And like k9 said do not ease up and get complacent when you think he has it. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 AM

K9 Coach. We rescued Joey on February 3rd and the training began right away. It was difficult as he would get cold really fast even with the sweaters and coat on. He was down to maybe one or two accidents a week. We even left him out of the crate while we were gone for about 2 hours after the 10 week mark and he was fine. He is good about
going out to do his business first thing in the morning and I was surprised that he back slid so much.
Phonelady61 yes we have tile in the basement which he thinks is perfectly fine to do his duty on thanks to his first owners. They let him relieve himself in the garage. That door is always closed and we have to watch him like a hawk if we go down to watch a movie and even then he's lightening fast. He did 3 puddles and a nice log the last time we were down there even with the two or three outside breaks. I had to leave him confined to a small bathroom for about 5 hours when we had him for about a month. I had some pads down with his food and water. He never used the pads nor would he eat or drink. He had a seizure with the first owners because he wasn't eating. Once in a while I still have to hand feed him.
Missyrusty catching him in the act is near impossible. He's so fast and I swear he watches to see if I'm paying attention. I just got home from work tonight and took them both out in the rain. They both did number one and Joey usually does number 2 at 1230 am. At 1215 I noticed he was gone and I was in the middle of doing something and got down to the laundry room just in time to see him sneaking his devious little butt upstairs after leaving me a surprise and not even on the pads I swear he was laughing at me. Satan's spawn is an understatement.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
There was once someone who posted on here -- ViralMD -- who posted the bible of housebreaking. Here it is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ing-puppy.html

Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanks DawnMTL but this puppy has a lot of issues!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs