Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,631,717 times

Advertisements

My scat mats emit a shreiking shrill tone when touched. Both dogs and cats learned on the 2nd try. I ordered them from drsfosterandsmith.com. 5-6 yrs later, they still work when I got a new pet.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,308,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Scat Mat
Too funny! But I doubt it would work on a hardheaded Scotsman. I have just caught him sneaking bits of bacon to Karma. This is SO not allowed. We could share with Jimmy and Hallie because they were older and they never fought over food. It was always a lovely family thing we did, after a meal, giving them "pizza bones" and the like. We did it because they didn't beg. But Karma will take the puppy's head off if he comes near when we have food. That's why we put them in separate rooms now when we eat dinner.

I am not just the Bad Cop. I am now the Badass Cop.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,008,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My scat mats emit a shreiking shrill tone when touched. Both dogs and cats learned on the 2nd try. I ordered them from drsfosterandsmith.com. 5-6 yrs later, they still work when I got a new pet.
I have also used the ones that beep from Drsfosterandsmith. They work great and I wasn't shocking anyone. Didn't have to use them long as the dogs did not like the sound and avoided the couch and bed that they were on. We still have them but I haven't had to use them with subsequent dogs because we now let the dogs on the couch and bed. If I ever had a counter surfer I could see using them again.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,546,131 times
I have never used a scat mat but while working with the behaviorist with Jazz he told me it was very important I get a fantastic recall on her. Her recall was good except at the large park that allows dogs off leash if she did not want to come to me she would look away from me and act as if she did not hear me. If she looked at me she would come but when there were gophers around she would look the other way and ignore me. His suggestion was to get a remote citronella collar. Jazz was a very sensitive dog and a shock would have been too much for her.

The very first time I used the collar we were at that park, I called she looked away then stuck her head in a gopher hole and ignored me so I hit the remote...omg it was so funny as she jumped so high up then raced to me and hid behind me. When she got brave she crept towards the gopher hole again not wanting to get close enough that that gopher could spray her again but wanting to see how he had done it.She was convinced the gopher did that to her!). It took using that collar twice and after that she always came when I called even when she did not have that collar on.. I used it for other things like when she would race around frantic barking and trying to pull my young nephews out of my parents pool once again it took about two times and after that she would watch the boys but no longer get frantic about their being in the pool. That collar worked so good on her. Hopefully you will get the same results with the scat mat.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,308,269 times
OMG Dash, I am laughing so hard I'm choking!! Remote citronella, huh? I have never heard of that, and I'll look into it, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs