Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:05 PM

452 posts, read 1,723,283 times

Advertisements

I'm trying very hard right now to become a foster parent thru one of our rescue groups...this is the third time I"ve contacted them....and I'm not sure what's going on but the only time I've been given the chance is when I've gone to the adoption "fairs" they hold at Petco...and they find themselves in a bind and....WHAM...I get to bring one home til it's rehomed.

I do work with one lady who rescues on her own and she uses me often. She's a hero in my eyes for what she does....but the other group keeps the small dogs "underground"; I've been told that's to give the larger dogs a better chance since it seems everyone wants a lap dog. I can only foster smaller dogs because of the restrictions where we live, plus the height of our enclosure fencing is only four feet.

If I don't hear from them soon, I think I'll give up and see what my friend has in the pipeline.

SO.. is it me....or do a lot of rescue groups tend to be this...."picky"?? They know I'm up for home visits, paperwork..whatever but they don't seem to "remember" allowing me to foster straight from Petco. It's been two months already.....

Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,308 times
DH and I tried to adopt from a breed-specific rescue group last summer. They called us pretty soon after our application was submitted, but dragged their feet when it came to our home visit and interview. The volunteer who did the interviews was never available when we were. We ended up adopted from a local shelter. I know that everyone in those groups is a volunteer, but give me a break. If you want to adopt out dogs, or foster for that matter, then you have to be flexible with those stepping up to take the animals. Needless to say, after three months of waiting to be visited, we had had enough. Keep trying. There are many groups out there. Some are organized regionally. You may have to make a drive initatially, but then the adopter will drive to you to get the animal. Bless you for helping out homeless pets!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:34 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,590 times
My response to people who complain about the level of service they get from rescue groups is this:

Instead of complaining, why don't you volunteer your time to the rescue in lieu of adopting a dog? By doing so, you will save more than just the one dog's life. Or better yet, do both! By volunteering there, maybe you can change the aspect that annoys you.

If your answer is that you don't have the time, then you understand part of the level of service issue.

My wife is on the board for a local rescue group here in Los Angeles. She handles all the web based correspondence, does home inspections, works the weekend adoption events, handles some emergency cases where foster dogs get injured, constantly tracks down dogs that get "returned", etc. She also has a full time job. The majority of her free time is consumed by the rescue. Most of the other people at the rescue are in a very similar situation. They have more dogs than they can handle. They have to prioritize. Most of the volunteers are fair-weather ones who don't want to do much beside walk some dogs or stand around on adoption day.

Please give them a break. Volunteer if you think they could be better.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Please give them a break. Volunteer if you think they could be better.
I think the OP is volunteering by fostering.

I couldn't do what the OP does - obviously since our most recent additions started with us as "foster" parents.

Thanks to all who donate their time on this forum, those who are parents, especially parents struggling financially, people who volunteer their time, money, home, hands and hearts to help these animals in whatever capacity they have.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
I think the OP is volunteering by fostering.

I couldn't do what the OP does - obviously since our most recent additions started with us as "foster" parents.
Fostering is great and absolutely appreciated. But consider volunteering your time at a local rescue as well. Work the other side of the fence and you'll get to see all the nightmares / headaches / political BS that the rescue groups get to deal with all while getting daily nasty emails from little Billy's mom who absolutely MUST get that dog for her sons birthday this coming weekeend or she'll throw a tantrum. You really must see things from the rescue's side to appreciate the reality of my last statement.

From our experience, fostering is difficult at first, but does get easier. We did not have the proper mindset for our first foster and guess what? She's been with us for three years. You have to switch your mindset and not think of yourself. You have to think logically that:

a) This dog needs a good home (and I don't need a third dog)
b) Someone else needs to experience this wonderful dog
c) Once this dog gets adopted, I can then keep another dog out of a kennel or from being put down

Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I'm trying very hard right now to become a foster parent thru one of our rescue groups...this is the third time I"ve contacted them....
Thanks for doing what you can. Please do not give up. Make the 4th call, then the 5th....

Not everyone can do what you do and your efforts will be rewarded. Try some other groups that may be a bit further away. As mentioned, these groups are stressed from lack of human resources, money, etc.; just keep up the good work and good luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone who says to keep at it!! I needed that!

LEFTCOASTEE:
when someone comes into a thread with so much negativity, as you did, it doesn't help the OP one bit. HOWEVER, I do understand the problem that rescue groups have...I don't have to work my arse off on the inside of one to get it...we see it everyday here, esp when spring time comes around and every single space in every place is TAKEN. No room at the inn. Our volunteers are overwhelmed but that doesn't make the rest of us who want to help in the only way we can...bad people or COMPLAINERS who have nothing better to do. Perhaps you need to start your own thread with the type of advice you seem so eager to give.

I HAVE worked with some groups...I've done the grunt work...cleaning up, home inspections (thru Guardian Angels for Soldier's Pets-I was on the board for that one!), "standing around" on adoption day, bathing them to get them READY for adoption day, fundraising! I've seen the politics and "been there, done that". I hate it and refuse to get involved in all those turf wars. Two groups were even sparring over who got front door space at Petco! THAT'S why I prefer to remain in the back ground and help with re-homing, via training and socializing and jst taking the load off the gals/guys who do a TON of work but who sometimes seem to think it's their way or the highway.

Hubby and I have re-homed several dogs..on our own and for someone else and it's not difficult for us to let them go when we FIND THE RIGHT HOME! That's the key. We know our limits; we love animals. I'm less able to be as active as I once was due to the fibro I have but giving love and TLC to a little critter who needs it badly is something I certainly can do. The last dog we re-homed is now with a family with two kids and I just got pics of the daughter teaching a VERY happy looking Daizy to hulu. THAT'S when you know...you did the right thing.

And it's a GORGEOUS day here today. I think I'll make a phone call....

Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
when someone comes into a thread with so much negativity, as you did, it doesn't help the OP one bit. HOWEVER, I do understand the problem that rescue groups have...I don't have to work my arse off on the inside of one to get it...we see it everyday here, esp when spring time comes around and every single space in every place is TAKEN. No room at the inn. Our volunteers are overwhelmed but that doesn't make the rest of us who want to help in the only way we can...bad people or COMPLAINERS who have nothing better to do. Perhaps you need to start your own thread with the type of advice you seem so eager to give.
I think you've mistaken reality for negativity. Nothing was meant to hurt anyones feelings. In fact, my reply was not even directed at you so I'm not sure where the aggression is coming from. I'm glad you know about the difficult situation that rescue groups have to deal with. Not everyone does. I felt that a thread titled "Rescue Groups" where some people are saying they wished they'd get better service would be a good place to discuss that.

I was primarily addressing this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
They called us pretty soon after our application was submitted, but dragged their feet when it came to our home visit and interview. The volunteer who did the interviews was never available when we were. We ended up adopted from a local shelter. I know that everyone in those groups is a volunteer, but give me a break.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 AM

thanks for clearing that up...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
I'm trying very hard right now to become a foster parent thru one of our rescue groups...this is the third time I"ve contacted them....and I'm not sure what's going on but the only time I've been given the chance is when I've gone to the adoption "fairs" they hold at Petco...and they find themselves in a bind and....WHAM...I get to bring one home til it's rehomed.

I do work with one lady who rescues on her own and she uses me often. She's a hero in my eyes for what she does....but the other group keeps the small dogs "underground"; I've been told that's to give the larger dogs a better chance since it seems everyone wants a lap dog. I can only foster smaller dogs because of the restrictions where we live, plus the height of our enclosure fencing is only four feet.

If I don't hear from them soon, I think I'll give up and see what my friend has in the pipeline.

SO.. is it me....or do a lot of rescue groups tend to be this...."picky"?? They know I'm up for home visits, paperwork..whatever but they don't seem to "remember" allowing me to foster straight from Petco. It's been two months already.....
I've been in breed specific rescue for over 15 years now. Maybe I can explain it a little so that you and others can understand why it sometimes looks to be disorganized and difficult. Its true that most rescues are staffed and run by volunteers. Most of us in breed rescue do not work out of a specific location but work with each other from home and our computers. Our money comes only from donations and from what we charge for adoptions. Some of us are more experienced than others but all of us try to do the best we can. Members in our group also come and go and that also unfortunately adds to lost paperwork. Someone that seems very eager and ready to help one day may just drop off the map the next day. We also don't always have good coverage of volunteers for all areas from where people will respond regarding one of our dogs. We might have lots of volunteers in one metro area but then have a potential home filling out an application for foster or adoption in a place that is 4, 5 even 8 hours from the closest volunteer. Coordinating home visits (HVs) is one of the biggest problems we have with procedures. Sometimes its a coverage issue and sometimes its just a matter of things falling through cracks for one reason or another. We try to do things perfectly every time but unfortunately it just doesn't happen every time. It also should be mentioned that no rescue in their right mind will adopt out or place a foster without a HV being completed and vet references being checked. We all have horror stories on "potential homes" that turned out to be animal horders and worse! Yes, we can seem picky and in some cases disorganized but we really do care and want to hear from you and hope that you will be a good home for one of our dogs! We are dedicated but certainly not perfect. We do this for the love of the dogs and in my case for the love of a particular breed.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who reads this that looks to adopt from a rescue shelter or organization. Every dog we place opens up spot for another dog in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs