Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,193,312 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am looking to get a dog for my house who is chill and nice, but who also can protect the house against intruders at the same time. I was thinking of getting a pit bull puppy (so I know he was raised right). Any pit owners out there who could give me advice? Should I maybe consider another breed? The reason I zeroed in on pits is because the ones who I have seen that were raised right were great dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,716,793 times
pits are awesome, but besides deterring people with their barking and appearance, they're not going to protect your home. they are extremely people friendly. i wouldn't advise using a dog to protect your home in any other capacity anyway, though. training dogs to attack is serious business, should only be done by experienced trainers, and can backfire bigtime.

there are quite a few threads about training pits going right now. really, they're not too different from other dogs when it comes to training. you just have to be firm and consistent.

the other major thing to worry about with pits is the possibility of a pit bull ban being enacted somewhere where you want to live, but since you live in PA you're in luck - our state constitution actually makes breed bans impossible.

you also want to make sure that if you buy a puppy, you go to a reputable breeder. a good breeder will let you meet the puppies' parents (who should have excellent temperaments, of course) and see where the dogs are kept, and will not produce many litters a year. bad breeders producing poorly bred dogs are a big reason why pit bulls are so demonized. you don't want to support that. you could also look into rescues in the area. hello bully is a good one around here. all the shelters also always have tons of pits, often puppies.

Last edited by groar; 03-11-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,589,446 times
I would second groar's recommendation. A dog can be a deterrent but don't rely on it to protect the home.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,083,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
pits are awesome, but besides deterring people with their barking and appearance, they're not going to protect your home. they are extremely people friendly.
They bark?? I barely know what Nanners' voice sounds like.

To the OP: Nanners the APBT is the worst watch dog I've ever had, and that's not a complaint. I'm in a situation here at the house with my job where I can't be worried about what my dog will do when confronted by strangers, and Nanners loves everyone she meets. She's the perfect fit. I'd go with a Doberman or Rottie for the intimidation factor. NOBODY argues with one of those guys.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,193,312 times
Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They bark?? I barely know what Nanners' voice sounds like.

To the OP: Nanners the APBT is the worst watch dog I've ever had, and that's not a complaint. I'm in a situation here at the house with my job where I can't be worried about what my dog will do when confronted by strangers, and Nanners loves everyone she meets. She's the perfect fit. I'd go with a Doberman or Rottie for the intimidation factor. NOBODY argues with one of those guys.
heck .... my bailey is an australian cattle dog mix and i suspect she is more snarky and intimidating towards people she doesn't trust than nanners is ..... just judgin' by nanner's picture in the other thread and fontucky's testimony......

Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,083,873 times
The guy she's giving licky kisses to in that picture is my cousin Phil. At that point in time, she'd known him all of 5 minutes.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 PM

556 posts, read 2,092,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Hey,

I am looking to get a dog for my house who is chill and nice, but who also can protect the house against intruders at the same time. I was thinking of getting a pit bull puppy (so I know he was raised right). Any pit owners out there who could give me advice? Should I maybe consider another breed? The reason I zeroed in on pits is because the ones who I have seen that were raised right were great dogs.
If your first reason for getting a dog - of any breed - is to protect the house against intruders, then please allocate the funds to install a state of the art security system that is monitored and will auto dial fire, police, ambulance when/if needed.

Get a dog because you want to enrich your life with a four legged companion for the next 12-15 years - get a dog because you want a walking companion who is ready in all kinds of weather - get a dog because you want to come home at the end of the day to a smiling face, a wagging tail and unconditional love.........leave the protection of your home and belongings to your security company.

Any barking dog is a deterrent to low-lifes outside your home or yard......choose a breed or mix of dog that most closely fits your lifestyle, your activity level, your time constraints, your home energy level.....don't choose one for it's ability to 'protect'....please.....

Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,497,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
pits are awesome, but besides deterring people with their barking and appearance, they're not going to protect your home. they are extremely people friendly. i wouldn't advise using a dog to protect your home in any other capacity anyway, though. training dogs to attack is serious business, should only be done by experienced trainers, and can backfire bigtime.

there are quite a few threads about training pits going right now. really, they're not too different from other dogs when it comes to training. you just have to be firm and consistent.

the other major thing to worry about with pits is the possibility of a pit bull ban being enacted somewhere where you want to live, but since you live in PA you're in luck - our state constitution actually makes breed bans impossible.

you also want to make sure that if you buy a puppy, you go to a reputable breeder. a good breeder will let you meet the puppies' parents (who should have excellent temperaments, of course) and see where the dogs are kept, and will not produce many litters a year. bad breeders producing poorly bred dogs are a big reason why pit bulls are so demonized. you don't want to support that. you could also look into rescues in the area. hello bully is a good one around here. all the shelters also always have tons of pits, often puppies.
Then why do police use pits as a police dog?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM

1,684 posts, read 8,168,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post

Any barking dog is a deterrent to low-lifes outside your home or yard......choose a breed or mix of dog that most closely fits your lifestyle, your activity level, your time constraints, your home energy level.....don't choose one for it's ability to 'protect'....please.....
Well said Rottn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs