Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 49,198 times

Advertisements

So, for the last 4-5 years i have been dealing with fleas in my home every spring.
I live in a flat in town. Every time it happens i place a bowl with detergent on the floor in
my room at night and leave it with a lamp on to attract the fleas with light. After days, or better yet, weeks, of killing them this way... i can chill all year long... they seem to be gone... but when next spring comes... i find new ones... and the cycle begins again.
So my question is : Can fleas stay dormant in my room for an year and then hatch in spring ?
my room is always warm and i am there every day and night ... so they would have someone to bite all year... so why do i get them only in spring ?
i have no pets... do i get them every spring from parks or animals outside ? or they are constantly
in my home all year waiting to hatch in spring time ?

Do chrysanthemums kill fleas or do they just repel them ?
Any another solution for killing them is welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Since you don't have pets, flea bomb your room. Follow the instructions.

Your house might have rats. That would explain fleas without pets, but it wouldn't explain only in the Spring other than they are more active in warm weather.

I suspect your yard has fleas. Fleas like tall grass in shady areas. Keep your lawn cut short and don't let it get too long between cutting it. If you still have problems, have an exterminator treat your yard and your house.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,206 times
If you vacuum several times a week while you are treating with other methods, it really speeds things along. It helps to get the eggs up so you have less fleas to actually kill with other methods.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 49,198 times
@ Hopes. I live in a flat , so i dont have an yard. My house is clean... i do not have rats or mice or anything :P.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
Fleas can remain dormant for quite some time. Warm weather will cause them to hatch.
Bombing and being vigilant with a vacuum is one way to get rid of them, but finding the actual source would be helpful.
You can get food grade diatomaceous earth and sprinkle that into the rugs and carpets. Be sure to put some under the couch and chair cushions after vacuuming them as well.
Leave the DE until you vacuum again. Be sure to treat the floors with DE on occasion.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
johncj...why not try sprinkling a little of this inside your flat..anywhere you figure a flea might be...we use it a lot, (we dust our dogs and cats with it, as well as feed it to them occasionally) and it costs so very little....Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): Bug Killer You Can Eat!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 33,929 times
Diatomaceous earth is good for your carpets, as is borax or a borate-based flea powder like Fleabusters. Even salt will work. You want something that will dehydrate the fleas and kill them. DE scratches the exoskeleton to achieve this.

Here's a pretty good guide to home flea control:

How to Get Rid of Fleas in Your House | Howtogetridoffleasez.com

Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
Vacuuming is a must but you must be diligent about emptying your vacuum bag/container. Otherwise, all you will do is collect the eggs so that they can all hatch in the same place. Fleas are nearly indestructible if you give them right environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs