Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:03 PM

430 posts, read 338,524 times

Advertisements

Just so you know: If I can afford it, I'll buy a house in a heartbeat but I don't make mortgage money AND don't really need a house at this stage in my life anyway, so I am working with what I have.

Now that that is addressed, I am basically planning on moving to Las Vegas and planning on adopting a dog when I do move, as I'll be able to afford the space. I don't even own a dog yet, but I'm already annoyed just LOOKING and seeing "breed rules/no aggressive breeds/no dangerous breeds" all over the place and, when I investigate, it's on the main property site as well. My issue is I know myself and what I sway towards, the breeds I generally take a liking to and prefer. They're generally the first ones you see on the list and I highly favor them, and have sense I was a child.

With this, I wanted to know if there's a way to bypass (legally) breed rules. Besides training/fixing, as that seems to be an obvious necessity, and trying to get a therapists note to pass the pet as a support animal. Which has been suggested and is, based on how I am, a realistic option I would rather not take up as I don't truly need a support animal.

I am still currently looking at places without a breed rule or those that require an interview for allowing the pet in the meantime. There's just a ridiculous amount of nice looking places that don't allow the breeds I generally swing towards and I am really having a hard time finding ones that do, but don't cost luxury prices I can't afford.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:38 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,442,035 times
There are hundreds of thousands of good dogs who need homes that are not on the dangerous dog lists.

You don't have a dog yet. You will fall in love with any dog you get. Give a home to a dog not on the dangerous lists and wait until you buy your own place to get another dog of a "dangerous" breed. (Provided you can get homeowners insurance with the dangerous dog)

I also recomend, since you don't have a dog yet, that you keep rental size limits in mind before you pick out a dog. Why on earth would you deliberately set out to make life extra difficult for yourself?

Old 10-21-2017, 05:47 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,655,153 times
There are only two legal ways: ESA (if you legally qualify) or a mix breed, and if the rules do not state anything about mixes.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:49 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,655,153 times
BTW, if you get in touch with rescue groups in Vegas, they will help you find one of many places that accept them. They are highly motivated to help people keep their dogs/ rescue these breeds.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 PM

48,641 posts, read 35,131,279 times
Out of all the thousands of dog breeds, you should choose one not on the list if you do not own your own home. Even if you DO find a place that allows them, you are not guaranteed that you won't have to move for some reason.

I hope you do not endanger a dog just because you want what is normally forbidden.

I hope you have a conscience.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 PM

I would look out for dogs NOT on the lists, but I know myself and am fully aware of the types of dogs I generally end up wanting to adopt. They tend to end up being the dogs on the list. Doesn't help that these places tend to not allow mixes of any type.

And no I'm not a complete idiot. If I can't get the dog, I won't adopt it just because. Yall kind of sound like I would adopt regardless, not really noting that I can NOW if I wanted to. Just being realistic.

Of course if the place says no, then thats about it. I just wanted to know if there was any way to LEGALLY FFS adopt, as I did read there might be ways but obviously I am unaware on if it was or was not true. Now I know, problem solved in a sense.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,164,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Out of all the thousands of dog breeds, you should choose one not on the list if you do not own your own home. Even if you DO find a place that allows them, you are not guaranteed that you won't have to move for some reason.

I hope you do not endanger a dog just because you want what is normally forbidden.

I hope you have a conscience.
Unnecessarily harsh-- the OP didn't say anything to indicate she doesn't have a conscience- jc

Old 10-21-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Unnecessarily harsh-- the OP didn't say anything to indicate she doesn't have a conscience- jc
I disagree. /shrug

But none the less, I didn't say they didn't have a conscience, just I hoped they had one.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I disagree. /shrug

But none the less, I didn't say they didn't have a conscience, just I hoped they had one.
Just really curious, what makes you think I'd willingly endanger a dogs life just for the sake of owning one when I did specify that I am 1) only looking at legal ways, 2) looking at places that don't have said bans, 3) said I'd get a house if I could afford it, and 4) pointed out who and what I generally like as a realistic barrier to adoption, which is why I asked rather than got the dog like an idiot FIRST and did research SECOND.

That and I am also aware that shelters are disproportionately filled with these very breeds, so when you take that into account I feel I have a decent enough question. Plus, I generally dislike small dogs. I'd never harm them, I'd pet them even, but I'm not up for adopting one. Not my type of dog, like my grandmother dislikes big dogs and my mom dislikes cats.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 PM

Basically because you are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Even if you can make it work in one locale, if you have to move you and the dog could end up with few options.

It's a situation you haven't been able to figure out so far, so you know it's problematic. So why try it?

It's not an uncommon post here for someone to get the restricted breeds at one rental, and have no options when they are forced to move. It's really unfair to the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs