Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 AM

33 posts, read 235,051 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently got a Lab puppy. She is about 8 weeks old now, and 80-90% of the time she's a very sweet pup with a good temperament. However, that other 10-20% of the time she goes into "wild child" mode. I realize that all puppies go through a biting phase, as they are teething, they think they’re playing and don’t realize they’re hurting you, etc., but we really need to find a way to control this for the simple reason that it HURTS! My husband and I have so many scratches and cuts on our arms, hands, etc. that we must look like a couple of junkies.

When we got her, she was only 6 ½ weeks old. We've since learned that there are reasons puppies should remain with the mom and litter until at least 8 weeks, this being some of it, but unfortunately the breeder was moving and was unable to hold the pups the full time. Anyway, what's done is done and we can’t change that part now.

I work from home, so it’s definitely not a lack of attention. She’s doing fairly well with housebreaking, for example, since I am here to take her out a LOT during the day. We crate train at night, taking turns to get up and take her out twice throughout the night as well. For reasons like these, she’s doing very well with housebreaking already for as young as she is.

The biting, however, we can’t seem to control or even calm down no matter what we try; constantly giving her a chew toy in place of whoever she’s trying to bite, saying “Ouch!” or “No!” or even yelping or growling (from tips we found on the Internet/Labrador site), holding her back by the scruff to mimic what the mom would do (also from an Internet tip), walking away/ignoring her, but no matter what we try, she seems to think of it as a game. It seems that the more we try to keep her from biting, the more excited she gets and just bites more. (My sister suggested a bee-keeper's outfit!) Again, she’s a very sweet puppy most of the time and I have no doubt that she’ll grow to be a very sweet dog in the long run – it’s only when she gets wound up/full of energy that she does this, but this is still several times a day. Any tips or suggestions to help get her through this phase would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Puppies dont bite! As you said they teeth. My Staff (in Ireland) latched onto my big toe and boy did it hurt! Give her chew toys, something that is hard enough so she wont tear it apart but soft to really sink her teeth into it. Its just a part of growing up. Some dogs suffer more from teething than others. Same with people. Hope I helped, good luck!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Ha ha! Tell that to the blood she draws on a daily basis!

Actually, she's got lots of chew toys, and the one that works the best is a NylaBone (I think that's what it's called). It's exactly the type you described. That will keep her preoccupied sometimes, but other times she can't be bothered and just keeps lunging at us anyway. I appreciate the tips though.

And yes, I know she'll outgrow it - I can't wait until that day! haha! Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
When I had two puppies at once (never again...) I'd hold their muzzle shut for a few seconds and say firmly, "No bite!" Don't ever let the pup play by biting or pulling on your sleeve. I also did the very light shaking of the ruff.
They outgrew it- dunno if I trained them out of it, but it stopped within a few months, by and large. I don't think it's teething- that's what all the chewing destruction might be (and anyway, dogs just plain like chewing) but nipping is play, and they haven't yet learned not to play that way.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,420 times
My mom did a lot of shoving hands in our puppy's mouth and holding onto her lower jar, saying firmly "no bite". I have found the dogs we have don't like this feeling and relax the jar. We still to this day occassionally do this method to remind her this trait. It doesn't hurt, it's seems uncomfortable.

What I might also suggest is a water sprayer only for times when it's needed. Some dogs don't like being sprayed in the face, but then again, she may find it good fun. It all depend on the two of you finding solid ground. It's truly hard with puppies. It's all about not re-enforcing the fun part. patience is key here because we owners tend to not have it when we get frustrated. Take heart, you aren't alone! Be consistant with your ignoring or turning your back. They want your attention, maybe taking the attention away until they calm done is a great one. Keep us posted on your trial and error.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:17 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
What I used to do with puppies is if my hand ended up in their mouth, I would curl part of their lip underneath their teeth so that they would be biting themselves also. I would also give them a firm "no" and give them a hard look into their eyes. I would hold that position until they calmed down.

I prefer adopting adult dogs. I passed on one puppy at a shelter because he made me bleed. And then I saw him pee in the corner of the room and I remembered why I don't like puppies. lol. My lab was 1-1/2 when we adopted him and was still in the chewing phase of his life. He had been abused, but what was interesting is what while he was afraid to bite my boyfriend in play, once he latched onto me as his new dog mom, he didn't have a problem testing out how durable I was. I used to tell him that he was killing me with his love. At four years of age, Bailey's finally becoming an awesome dog.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What I used to do with puppies is if my hand ended up in their mouth, I would curl part of their lip underneath their teeth so that they would be biting themselves also. I would also give them a firm "no" and give them a hard look into their eyes. I would hold that position until they calmed down.

I prefer adopting adult dogs. I passed on one puppy at a shelter because he made me bleed. And then I saw him pee in the corner of the room and I remembered why I don't like puppies. lol. My lab was 1-1/2 when we adopted him and was still in the chewing phase of his life. He had been abused, but what was interesting is what while he was afraid to bite my boyfriend in play, once he latched onto me as his new dog mom, he didn't have a problem testing out how durable I was. I used to tell him that he was killing me with his love. At four years of age, Bailey's finally becoming an awesome dog.
Great example and great idea for training! I'll keep that one. I like puppies because you know a little bit more of their history. But, adopting adult dogs are so great too. Great story! I like the comment that "he was killing me with his love..."

Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Great example and great idea for training! I'll keep that one. I like puppies because you know a little bit more of their history. But, adopting adult dogs are so great too. Great story! I like the comment that "he was killing me with his love..."
Also, several times while running around in our yard, he has knocked me on my butt or just plain run into me having grossly miscalculating his powers of turning on a dime. One his head smashed into my shin bone. What a bump that was! But he doesn't do this with any other human. Lucky me. Haha.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Also, several times while running around in our yard, he has knocked me on my butt or just plain run into me having grossly miscalculating his powers of turning on a dime. One his head smashed into my shin bone. What a bump that was! But he doesn't do this with any other human. Lucky me. Haha.
That's precious. Gotta love their enthusiaism, but man, it can be painful! Our black lab never was played with in his previous life so when he gets exicited he takes his powerful paws and "paws" your leg so hard that I would have these long thin bruises from the nails. We haven't been able to communicate to him that this is actually hurting me and not very enjoyable. Luckily, I can predict it coming so I brace myself...

Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Trust me, we've already had the discussion about adopting an older dog next time! In the meantime, little Gia (chocolate lab) will get there, I'm sure. I really appreciate the feedback, tips and stories! Not that I'm laughing at any pain you've all experienced, but it's nice to know we're not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs