U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 17,540,403 times
Reputation: 7690

Advertisements

Glad to see this thread has calmed down...again, I took a night off....again, it happened!

Thanks to all for the great info on the APBT...ya'll are always a wellspring of information, with great personal stories and facts to back up what you say. I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

Let's keep the pet forum civil, everyone. New posters may be simply asking questions or flaming, there's no way to know at first - but education and a calm head are required by the terms of service, so we all gotta play by the rules. We can disagree - publicly or privately through the direct message feature - but I never want to have to shut informative threads.

Sorry I'm off the board sometimes at night...if something offensive is said, please, please use the red triangle in the upper right hand of the offensive post to report it and let it be reviewed by a moderator. There's no point in slinging barbs and arrows and letting things go downhill to the point the thread either has to be locked or someone has to spend hours cleaning it up.

I'm letting everything stand for now. I know we all want this to be a friendly, informative forum - I thank you all for your questions and your well thought out answers!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,738 posts, read 7,991,369 times
Reputation: 675
can I answer te thread question "why would you want a pit bull" I DON'T!!!!!!!!!
I don't want a pit, a lab, a pointer, a mastiff,boxer, a beagle, maltise, chi,etc. I found my breed(s) and I'm addicted to them.

One o the main reasons is I like all the fur my doggie has, and pits dont have fluffy fur. silly I know. I also like it that my doggie is not stronger then me, tug a war w/ a pit hurts. =) they pull your arm sockets out w/ each tug on the rope. I think they are beautiful tho!!!! I also like the ideas of agility and firsbee so I again lean towards my herding breeds.

I like my friend pit, but he slobbers way to much for me and when he breathed on me w/ that big pit mouth it was like sticking my head out a car window going 90 mph
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 2,397,352 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I don't see how hard it is to understand why someone wants a certain breed. Why do you want a Chi? They are yappy, nippy, pee on everything and are closer to the size of a rat or cat then a dog. Some people see the negatives like I mentioned (as these are things I frequently hear about Chis) others see what great dogs they are and wouldn't own another breed. Different strokes for different folks. It seems odd to questions why someone wants a certain breed since what people like/dislike is so subjection and beauty is in the eye of the beholder type thing.


The reason is they don't want to let go. The best way is to open their mouth. My female would let go or stop fighting on command. I've had a few which are close to this also. Like when a dogs charge me and my dog is ready to defend I say no and sit and the dog doesn't do anything. If I ever need to though I will pry my dogs mouth open. That is what being responsible is about. Maybe owners of other breeds should learn how to do the same?

This is true of almost any breed when they have drive and adrenalin going through them. The Lab/Golden was being beat by his owner and still didn't stop attacking until he wanted to. If you read some of the other threads you can find the info.

Here is from another thread.

“To me any medium-large breed can probably do the same amount of damage. Pit Bulls and several other large breeds have a higher pain tolerance but it really seems any dog which has lost it doesn't stop just from being hit if it doesn't want to and if it does it will no matter the breed. Its all dependent on the individual dog. I watched an episode of when good pets go bad. This crazy lady trained her Pit Bull to attack. She had already made the dog attack her landlord. Then AC came there to take the dog and she made him attack the animal control lady. The dog grabbed her arm and shook it. A guy came and hit him with what looked like a pipe, he let go, attacked again and was hit a 2nd time and finally stopped all together. He didn't have to be beat off, just one hit and he let go. So it varies from dog to dog and I don't think any one breed is going to be some super mythical like beast like Pit Bulls are made out to be.”

This thread is over a half dozen pages long, I would think by now you would understand that they do not pose a great risk to their owners or others. For whatever reason you seem to have just set out to attack one breed rather then learn about them/the owners. You have answers. Like you said the OP was to answer something you had been thinking about. That makes sense in a way it is just again odd to single out one breed as potentially dangerous when there are so many. The Bullmastiff involved in a recent attack had to be stabbed to save the ladies life. Doesn't mean all Bullmastiffs are dangerous or mean, but it clearly means many breeds have the potential to either be life threatening or cause serious bodily damage.
yes, this thread is way too long. i DID want to know about the owners and not really the breed which is why i posted in the first place and didnt look up any breed info. the breed cant speak to me but you can and i was trying to figure out why you choose the pitbull over all the other breeds. sorry if i upset you or anyone.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 2,397,352 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Five View Post
What's wrong is that you're getting all of your information from the news. You need to reference other sources for reliable information. The news will print anything if it makes for a good headline, and let's face it, "Pit Bull Attack" stirs people up and makes them want to read the story. Factual information has nothing to do with sensationalism.

So, are you wrong about pit bulls? I'm going to say yes, because of the way you're getting your information. Asking people "why a pit bull" is a better way to get your information but only if you're going to pay attention to what people are telling you. From your posts, it doesn't seem that you're doing that. Not knowing them you're choosing to believe the worst, while people who do know them are telling you differently. No one can "make" you change your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to yours and if it's that pit bulls are horrible beasts so be it. I just hope that you can acknowledge that you don't know much about pit bulls, that not all pit bull owners are crazed criminals and that we have a right to own the breed of our choice. Because it's the people who don't know a darn thing about pit bull dogs or hell, dogs in general, that are creating legislation which tears pets away from their families and sends them to their deaths.
so you say that my way of getting info (listening to news) is wrong and a better way would be to ask people? this is what i just did. i asked you all didnt i?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 2,397,352 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
so you say that my way of getting info (listening to news) is wrong and a better way would be to ask people? this is what i just did. i asked you all didnt i?
i do not think that pit bulls are horrible beasts or that pitbull owners are crazed criminals. i just wanted to know why you chose to take such a risk with all the negative info (whether it be fact or fiction) out there. i posted originally because the other day i was parked next to a car that had a pitbull in the front seat. the owner got out and went into the store for a minute and my children and I really enjoyed looking at the dog (they are very beautiful of course, most animals are) but at the same time i had alot of fear and mistrust of the animal because of what i have read and heard over the years. so i decided to ask all of you why you chose that breed. anyways,
it's been eye opening and i have been paying attention (but still dont totally agree and will always be wary i am sure).
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 17,540,403 times
Reputation: 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
so you say that my way of getting info (listening to news) is wrong and a better way would be to ask people? this is what i just did. i asked you all didnt i?
And I think that's what everyone is saying - good for you for asking questions about a breed you may not totally trust or understand. We all know the media has a way of slanting things to whatever hysteria has taken over the nation at the time, be it APBT or Britney Spears. Many, many breeds of dogs are maligned on only what has been broadcast and that's why breed specific legislation is running so rampant.

Someone ran a little thing not too long ago where you could log into a site and give the general characteristics you were looking for in a dog and it would show you the top gazillion dogs for you. Of course, it's not perfect at all - I was matched up with dogs I'd never consider, like Bichons (I thought I said "low grooming maintenance"???!). I have Rottweilers but the first dog up for me was an APBT, a dog I would now seriously consider if I wasn't running a mini-kennel at my home. Five years ago I would have said no way - that was at the point of upswing on the manic, rabid phobia about pitties.

I guess people choose dogs that go with their lifestyle and perception of what a dog should be. Sometimes we don't choose wisely, which makes it all the more important to do our homework before taking on a lifelong commitment to a canine. And I think in explaining why we like or want a certain type of dog, we have to name the dog's traits that are appealing to us...which is both educational and informative regarding the dog and it's owner.

There are bad gene pools in every breed...in wanting perfection, society has bred out the breed standard in many ways and you end up with a bunch of dogs that do not project the true nature they were bred for. That can be good in some ways...a true Rottweiler is a handful and only for the very disciplined and very informed. Fortunately, I have the watered down versions!

You may continue to be wary of pits, but I'd bet if you met a well socialized, well trained one you'd admit they can be pretty fantastic dogs. I'm not a fan of Chis, but should I meet one that has those characteristics I'm sure my viewpoint would change.

Folks love the dogs they have - they are enthusiastically protective of their breed - so with the explanations and education will come some defensiveness, especially with the breeds that are being banned for no good reason other than their name. These folks were only broadcasting info and doing damage control, and that's what educated, informed, and responsible owners do, and we will do it every chance we get!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,200 posts, read 34,150,275 times
Reputation: 3423
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i do not think that pit bulls are horrible beasts or that pitbull owners are crazed criminals. i just wanted to know why you chose to take such a risk with all the negative info (whether it be fact or fiction) out there. i posted originally because the other day i was parked next to a car that had a pitbull in the front seat. the owner got out and went into the store for a minute and my children and I really enjoyed looking at the dog (they are very beautiful of course, most animals are) but at the same time i had alot of fear and mistrust of the animal because of what i have read and heard over the years. so i decided to ask all of you why you chose that breed. anyways,
it's been eye opening and i have been paying attention (but still dont totally agree and will always be wary i am sure).
I guess I'm wondering what you think the risk is, Nicolepsy?

Do you mean risk as in having difficulty renting or insuring a home because of the breed discrimination?

Yes, that is an extra hassle that owners of some dogs have, but all dogs require some lifestyle adjustments and that's just how it is right now.

Or do you mean risk as in the extra measures pit owners need to take because of the potential for dog-on-dog aggression with some pits?


True, some pits can have some dog aggression, this is part of their genetic makeup and part of what made them good at what they did in the past (originally, taking down bulls for sport). Some pit owners will not take their dogs to the dog park in order to avoid any problems, but there are owners of other types of dogs that have to do the same thing, so that's not such a big deal.

Or do you mean risk as in possibly being considered a social pariah for having a dog that one segment of society deems "questionable"?

My answer to that would be "what do they know?" and "why would I care what they think of me?"

Or do you still think some of us are living with pets who might kill us one day?



As for dogs in cars in the parking lot:

1) It makes me sad - dogs nor children should ever be left in a parked car.

2) No matter what the dog breed, I have some concerns and give them plenty of room - that is their "territory" they are sitting in and many dogs will defend it - I keep my hands clear of the open window even if it's a Chihuahua .
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
 
Location: southern california
61,281 posts, read 82,995,670 times
Reputation: 55458
choice of 3
a. nothin to lose
b. good heart and dont want the pound to kill him
c. parinoid bout gettin mugged, mean dowg'll do ya.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 17,540,403 times
Reputation: 7690
Bunky, you've just managed to mess up 11 pages of trying to de-bunky (sorry, slip of the fingers there) the "mean dog" misnomer that follows these guys around...but the education about the breed is on the previous 10 pages...it's there...I hardly think anyone posting on this board is "paranoid" enough to get an APBT - they appear to be an exceedingly devoted group to their breed of choice...let's don't downgrade that. If anything, we should be proud of any group that defends their breed of choice - after all, if breed specific legislation goes much further, YOUR dog could be next.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
 
Location: southern california
61,281 posts, read 82,995,670 times
Reputation: 55458
addendum
its hard to explain to somebody that has not been badly beaten or mugged or both
but a dog like this one will stop an attack dead even 3 guys.
stone dead. once this happens to you, then you will not have any more arguements or questions at all bout why do you need a dog like this.
i dont know this one real well my favorites are military k-9. very good at removing body parts. (sorry too much drama there)
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top