U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 AM
 
25 posts, read 53,081 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
If you reread the post, you would see that I did not call you arrogant. The fact that the shoe fits, that's just a bonus.

You have a product to sell and this is your marketing strategy, I get it now. Why don't you share your website so we can see your work?

Good one!!! I don't have a website. I'm not breeding my dogs right now. My female is only 7 months old. I'm pretty positive she is not ready yet. Do you own a dog sir?
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 AM
 
25 posts, read 53,081 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Short novels are my specialty I guess. What? You are talking about irresponsible owners. So again its the owner who doesn't know how to handle and control their dog. My original point. It isn't unfair to others when dogs are owned by responsible people.

Some people who adopt are bad owners, heck most dog owners are irresponsible or uneducated that its scary. It doesn't have to do with adopting from a shelter. A lot of people who go to a shelter might be bad but so are the ones who get free to good home dogs and buy from breeders. The dogs in shelters come from somewhere, accidental litters and breeders they get their because people get a dog and don't know how to take care of it, are too lazy to deal with it, the dog becomes problematic or they get tired of them. Most the people buying/getting free dogs are bad owners thats how the dogs get in the shelter. The bad owners have nothing to do with not giving shelter dogs a chance.

If you look to the shelter sites and ones that cover national wide I'm sure most are lab and lab mixes. This was done on another forum. Of course a lot of Pits are listed as Lab mix or Boxer mix so its hard to get an accurate count. Whats in shelters depends on your area some places I've lived and areas I've been at mostly all Pits. Where I live now, rarely Pits, they do come in but rarely, I've also never seen a Rottweiler so far. I don't go there everyday but frequent enough and my friend also informs me what breeds come in. What is filling the shelter? Not Pits and not Rotts. Heelers, Lab, Lab mixes, sometimes Goldens. Thats about it on a consistent basis. If you look at local papers you will also see what is popular and will usually be in the shelters. The breeds mentioned and then small dogs Pom, Yorkie, those types. When I did the Pit Bull rescue search within 300 miles I got 18 dogs and within 500 miles I got 36. Many of those almost 500 miles away.

A large portion of dogs are not adoptable. Those are the ones who should be put to sleep. Sometimes dogs are not adoptable due to laziness. The shelter where my Aunt's husband starting working had one of the highest kill rates. Why the workers were lazy. They don't help you find or pick a dog. The chick would just sit there. Bothered when you ask questions. The dogs often were ill or end up having a temperament problem - after coming in. He did 13 dogs in 1 week, the most they've ever done. Because he works with the people looking for a dog, works with the dogs (doesn't leave them locked in a tiny cage to go crazy), and also works with breed specific rescues to get them in foster homes. Rescue is a very good way to go, because the foster homes can tell you a lot more about the dog and evaluate that dog better. A dog thats kept caged in a shelter doesn't have the real life scenario to live in.

We are going in circles here. Lets just call it truce. When did you start breeding pit bulls?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,200 posts, read 34,152,166 times
Reputation: 3423
I just want to throw the idea out there, since it came up a few times, that whether I choose to spend thousands and purchase a dog, or whether I choose to adopt a dog from a shelter, in no way changes the type of dog owner I am.

If on a scale of 1 to 10 I am an 8 in quality of dog ownership, spending $2000 or not spending $2000 does not move me up or down the scale......I do not become a "9" just because I open my wallet.

The idea that people who purchase dogs are somehow better equipped to be good owners than those who adopt simply does not hold water.

I'm fortunate to live in a household that could afford to purchase a dog for $2000, but our personal ideals guide us otherwise.

In fact, I rather enjoy the challenge that a "slightly used" dog brings . Bringing a dog (or any animal) back to health - physically and mentally - gives me more personal satisfaction than purchasing a brand new puppy ever could.

So one answer to the OP's original question would be "because those are the dogs in need"......isn't that reason enough?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2007, 05:38 PM
 
25 posts, read 53,081 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I just want to throw the idea out there, since it came up a few times, that whether I choose to spend thousands and purchase a dog, or whether I choose to adopt a dog from a shelter, in no way changes the type of dog owner I am.

If on a scale of 1 to 10 I am an 8 in quality of dog ownership, spending $2000 or not spending $2000 does not move me up or down the scale......I do not become a "9" just because I open my wallet.

The idea that people who purchase dogs are somehow better equipped to be good owners than those who adopt simply does not hold water.

I'm fortunate to live in a household that could afford to purchase a dog for $2000, but our personal ideals guide us otherwise.

In fact, I rather enjoy the challenge that a "slightly used" dog brings . Bringing a dog (or any animal) back to health - physically and mentally - gives me more personal satisfaction than purchasing a brand new puppy ever could.

So one answer to the OP's original question would be "because those are the dogs in need"......isn't that reason enough?

I think you miss understood me. I never said I would magically become a better owner by buying a puppy. I just said there is a greater challenge in adopting a dog, and most people I know can't handle that challenge. People on here are getting to caught up in the actaully dollar amount spent on a puppy. In my life I enjoy raising a dog from a puppy, and that brings me satisfaction. It's awesome that you rescue dogs and give them a better life. And I'm glad your a responsible owner who is always trying to improve. I just in my opinion wouldn't trust a shelter dog around my other dogs that Ive had since they were puppys, and it's not worth it to me to find out how that situation would work. But that is just my opinion,and I don't expect other people to aggree.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
 
1,179 posts, read 8,515,767 times
Reputation: 924
PMB again another set of good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
First, I have to say that pit bull is two words, not one. I know that really doesn't have much to do with anything, but for some reason that really bothers me! lol!
LOL I knew you’d catch that. I understand the peeve as mine is with pitt bull. Isn’t it amazing how so called breeders can’t even spell the name right. Just like those rockweiler, doverman and german sheperd breeders. While spelling/grammar isn’t the most important in an online forum, a reputable breeder would at least know how to spell their breed name. Its 2nd nature like spelling their own name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT lover
If you think being able to deal with dog aggresion makes you a responsible pitbull owner you are sadly mistaken, and I highly recommend you look into another breed
Again, I disagree. Being able to deal with dog aggression does make you a responsible "pit bull" owner. With any dog, especially powerful breeds, you need to be prepared for anything, and be willing and able to handle any situation that may come up. The fact is that the "pit bull" breeds were originally bred to fight animals and even if a "pit bull" has been properly bred, raised, trained and socialized, they can end up being somewhat dog aggressive. A responsible owner will acknowledge that and be prepared.
Again so true. It’s one of the first things you should know before going into this breed, that can make some realize this breed isn’t for them and not further pursue it. If you read almost any literature on the APBT it will inform you of the possibility dog aggression.

I thought the statement was so humorous before that I didn’t even reply. Someone actually has the nerve to suggest that I need to get out of APBTs because I’m “irresponsible”? Irresponsible because of the fact I know the breed traits and that I believe an owner should be able to deal with it none the less. (I don't mean by killing the dog either) I believe this for all breeds, if you can’t handle the possibility of a not so fun trait that is known to that breed don’t get that breed. Via online forum you can’t know someone else to suggest what is proper for them without more discussion into the subject.

I have put a lot of hard work and time into my dogs. Well spent of course in raising, training, conditioning and competing. Researching bloodlines, pedigrees, written standards, the breed itself in depth, reading books, magazine, talking to breeders those who have been in dogs for a long time and have knowledge to lend. Acquiring dogs from the likes of long time breeders and judges; showing them earnest respect for the guidance they freely give. Fighting BSL, showing the true APBT and responsible ownership to the GP, establishing a club/network, rescue/fostering (of course those dogs should be PTS so they don’t turn on anyone). Gaining a lot of knowledge along the way not only through researching but through experience. Experience is key, you can research all you want (and should), it’s the proper thing to do, but everything is 2nd to real life experience. Just as studying for a drivers test is a lot different then being a knowledgeable experienced driver. The effort is worth every minute because I love the dogs, my dogs, this breed. With the 10s of thousands of dollars spent I don’t consider it an investment, but maybe of sorts, what you get out of it isn’t the same as a typical one but its love, joy, companionship and fun. I love my dogs and don’t plan on getting rid of them because someone disagrees with my views. I basically take it with a grain of salt, I feel that I am more then qualified to own an APBT and I’m perfectly capable of responsible ownership. If I didn’t think such I wouldn’t have an APBT at all. Same reason why I don’t own some breeds that I like, I know they don’t fit into my lifestyle or that I really wouldn’t be the best owner for that breed which would cause problems for both of us.

As a note I do realize that at times it is warranted in an online forum to recommend someone that a different breed would be right for them or that a dog period might not fit into their lifestyle. Again that requires other info rather then just disagreeing with someone over a simple matter.

Many of the most reputable breeders participate in rescue in one way or the other (donating money, transporting dogs, finding foster homes), still many do actual foster work themselves. I wonder why these dogs are not turning on them or their new families. They don't seem to have issues with these dogs.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM
 
25 posts, read 53,081 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
PMB again another set of good post.



LOL I knew you’d catch that. I understand the peeve as mine is with pitt bull. Isn’t it amazing how so called breeders can’t even spell the name right. Just like those rockweiler, doverman and german sheperd breeders. While spelling/grammar isn’t the most important in an online forum, a reputable breeder would at least know how to spell their breed name. Its 2nd nature like spelling their own name.



Again so true. It’s one of the first things you should know before going into this breed, that can make some realize this breed isn’t for them and not further pursue it. If you read almost any literature on the APBT it will inform you of the possibility dog aggression.

I thought the statement was so humorous before that I didn’t even reply. Someone actually has the nerve to suggest that I need to get out of APBTs because I’m “irresponsible”? Irresponsible because of the fact I know the breed traits and that I believe an owner should be able to deal with it none the less. (I don't mean by killing the dog either) I believe this for all breeds, if you can’t handle the possibility of a not so fun trait that is known to that breed don’t get that breed. Via online forum you can’t know someone else to suggest what is proper for them without more discussion into the subject.

I have put a lot of hard work and time into my dogs. Well spent of course in raising, training, conditioning and competing. Researching bloodlines, pedigrees, written standards, the breed itself in depth, reading books, magazine, talking to breeders those who have been in dogs for a long time and have knowledge to lend. Acquiring dogs from the likes of long time breeders and judges; showing them earnest respect for the guidance they freely give. Fighting BSL, showing the true APBT and responsible ownership to the GP, establishing a club/network, rescue/fostering (of course those dogs should be PTS so they don’t turn on anyone). Gaining a lot of knowledge along the way not only through researching but through experience. Experience is key, you can research all you want (and should), it’s the proper thing to do, but everything is 2nd to real life experience. Just as studying for a drivers test is a lot different then being a knowledgeable experienced driver. The effort is worth every minute because I love the dogs, my dogs, this breed. With the 10s of thousands of dollars spent I don’t consider it an investment, but maybe of sorts, what you get out of it isn’t the same as a typical one but its love, joy, companionship and fun. I love my dogs and don’t plan on getting rid of them because someone disagrees with my views. I basically take it with a grain of salt, I feel that I am more then qualified to own an APBT and I’m perfectly capable of responsible ownership. If I didn’t think such I wouldn’t have an APBT at all. Same reason why I don’t own some breeds that I like, I know they don’t fit into my lifestyle or that I really wouldn’t be the best owner for that breed which would cause problems for both of us.

As a note I do realize that at times it is warranted in an online forum to recommend someone that a different breed would be right for them or that a dog period might not fit into their lifestyle. Again that requires other info rather then just disagreeing with someone over a simple matter.

Many of the most reputable breeders participate in rescue in one way or the other (donating money, transporting dogs, finding foster homes), still many do actual foster work themselves. I wonder why these dogs are not turning on them or their new families. They don't seem to have issues with these dogs.

Moderator cut: edit. You think spelling pit bull makes someone a reputable breeder. You actually take the spelling of the breed that seriously. WOW!!! Your actually going to put me down because I spell pitbull the way I do. Moderator cut: edited; personal attack

Last edited by riveree; 12-02-2007 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: edited; personal attack
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM
 
1,179 posts, read 8,515,767 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT lover View Post
WOW... that was pathetic. You think spelling pit bull makes someone a reputable breeder. You actually take the spelling of the breed that seriously. WOW!!! Your actually going to put me down because I spell pitbull the way I do. My pet peeve is insecure owners like yourself that feel they constantly have to prove themselves.
No I don't think someone spelling Pit Bull makes them a reputable breeder at all. I never said that, so don't twist my words. A reputable breeder knows how to spell it correctly and so do bybs too, so I don't think it makes someone reputable if they can spell it right. I never put you down in my post? Myself and PMB pointed it out and I also said that pitt bull is another one. You're the one who made a "put down" type of statement. I basically ignored it, then when I saw that PMB had quoted it I decided to reply.

I don't feel I have to prove myself to anyone. What are you talking about? Prove myself in what to who? You are not making any sense with that statement. Frankly I have my dogs because I love this breed and always will, what is to prove? My dogs do speak for themselves and as well I'm in good standing with those that actually matter in the breed so I don't think I need to prove anything. What someone on an online forum thinks of my ownership means little to me. Thats just a fact has nothing to do with insecurity or trying to prove anything. Many others probably feel this way and don't take a lot seriously. Its probably the opposite of being insecure. I've seen people get really upset, defensive or have their feelings hurt online others like myself don't take it too seriously. Insulting me will not get a rise out of me. You can make as many unfounded and insulting statements about myself or ownership and it won't bother me.

Have a nice evening.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,200 posts, read 34,152,166 times
Reputation: 3423
This thread is being closed for further review.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top