Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times

Advertisements

Ya know we had planned (BSL affected people) to meet every couple of weeks but havent done so yet. The City Council has been affected by more important things the last few weeks, which will be solved one way or another tommorow. That menas back to BSL, so id probably get the finger out and work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Brian, that would be awesome if you do.
I don't really go on any other APBT forums.
Reason being that so many ignorant people that know absolutely
nothing pertaining to the breed flock to forums like that to post their two cents
Along with their hype, or take a thread and go in a complete other direction...which gets really old after awhile.

I am TOTALLY convinced that without voice inflection we might as well talk
to a wall than get anywhere with people like that in a BB setting.

Online APBT forums turn into a back and forth headache...blah, blah, blah.
At least in "real" life where people meet with the same intentions don't
get involved in the ridiculous debates and everyone is there for a reason.

The APBT group I started is still in it's infancy. We have six members so far.
It's not paid by a sponsorship or anything like that.
We meet at my house twice a month right now and discuss the relevant issues.
BSL being one of them. Along with responsible ownership, training, adoption procedures, foster homes...etc...

Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
There isn't any deep down hidden trait of aggression or anything like that because it is against the nature of the breed and the lines have been kept this way for me. Maybe for someone else they will get a rude awakening from their dogs for not knowing whats behind them. I admit to having one dog of which we really didn't know so much about. Came from someone else, was given to DH. Out of having probably around 100 APBTs he is the only one that had a temperament issue. He was man aggressive and unpredictable. He was such a beautiful dog and would have been great in the show ring (physically) BUT man aggressive dogs eat dirt here. I have a zero tolerance for it. Later found out his dam was a man biter!!!!! I have been around 1000s of APBTs and only know of a handful of unstable dogs.
Don't want to go totally OT here but since you breed, maybe you could answer from a breeder's point of view. Do you think for the purpose of cleaning out the bloodlines of any powerful breed of dog that it would be better to not rescue them because of the unknown or just to spay/nueter them to prevent them from procreating? Meaning that people who are interested in the breed should buy one from a breeder rather than rescue one.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:00 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
[quote=MarriedWithOutChildren;1979362]I have a degree in Psychology/Sociology and work with the Intellectually & Developmentally Disabled on a daily basis... [quote]

Just in case anyone hasn't said it lately, I appreciate that you do such a difficult, often thankless job. Working with a segment of society that is often overlooked and almost always undervalued and underappreciated is difficult, and I applaud your choice of vocation.

Although I have seen incorrect and offensive posts in other forums about the ABPT's, I haven't spoken up because it was not the Pets forum and the issue wasn't really the breed. People (such as the OP) have made negative, inaccurate statements about the breed in other forums but the breed wasn't the topic so I restrained myelf.

However I think you felt compelled to say something in the pet forum about a term that you disagreed with in the same way I feel compelled to stand up for this breed: because no one else will. You felt called to defend something that you felt was being insulted. I can respect that. That is exactly what we who have a bully breed and love our dogs feel we must do.

I think we have more in common than we realize, MWOC.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
if there were some positive press out there from responsible owners. .
But that is one of the points that has been discussed before on here: the positive stories don't get the press interest. It's the bad stuff that the reporters want to air. That is exactly why they don't stop to check what breed a dog really is, they just run with the phrase "pit bull." Details and facts are irrelevant in the rush to get the scoop and air/publish it first. Have you ever been involved in something and then seen what does and does not make the article? It is shocking, and disturbing, and it opens your eyes to not blindly accepting what you hear or read as fact.

Just as the parents who are good parents don't get the press--hey, they're just doing what they are supposed to, right?--the crappy parents who kill and drown and cage their kids get the air time. Your name says you're a mom, so how do you feel about Andrea Yates who drowned her children? Or Susan Smith who drowned her two young sons in a car and then went on tv to say they had been kidnapped? Do they represent all mothers? Of course not! What idiot would think that?

The same kind of person who would think that every pit bull is going to attack someone.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Quote:
Brian, that would be awesome if you do.
I don't really go on any other APBT forums.
Reason being that so many ignorant people that know absolutely
nothing pertaining to the breed flock to forums like that to post their two cents
Along with their hype, or take a thread and go in a complete other direction...which gets really old after awhile.

I am TOTALLY convinced that without voice inflection we might as well talk
to a wall than get anywhere with people like that in a BB setting.

Online APBT forums turn into a back and forth headache...blah, blah, blah.
At least in "real" life where people meet with the same intentions don't
get involved in the ridiculous debates and everyone is there for a reason.
Wow I would have to say not to judge all forums by some stupid ones! "www.pitbullforum.com" has some of the most knowledgeable and responsible people in the Pit Bull and bully breeds on it. At least in my opinion. Who doesn't add their 2 cents in a forum though. Anyway I'd say while their are some laymen and everyday pet owners most are really responsible pet owners and many of the regular posters are long time APBTs who are very responsible and want to see the breed continue for future generations to enjoy. Every once in awhile you might see people that argue, but generally people keep it very civil.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Wow I would have to say not to judge all forums by some stupid ones! "www.pitbullforum.com" has some of the most knowledgeable and responsible people in the Pit Bull and bully breeds on it. At least in my opinion. Who doesn't add their 2 cents in a forum though. Anyway I'd say while their are some laymen and everyday pet owners most are really responsible pet owners and many of the regular posters are long time APBTs who are very responsible and want to see the breed continue for future generations to enjoy. Every once in awhile you might see people that argue, but generally people keep it very civil.

Since you "quoted" me I'll respond to this.
First, I did not say all, secondly, it's my choice how and where I choose to discuss APBT topics.
I think it might just be that you are new here still, but there have been some nasty back and forths on the topic to the point where it's nauseating.
I don't choose to debate on a computer screen...that's all.
If you've been fortunate enough to find a civil APBT online BB...hey, that's great!
IMO, more is achieved by an organized group of people conversing in person, not online...again, that's my take on it.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozin View Post
Riveree, I had some time to poke around the forums and read the thread about your newest foster pit. Loved the story, broke my heart at first then made me excited to see that you kept the dog. Love to hear stories like that.
Thanks Soozin .

Dubh, the dog you reference above, is a good example for the nature of these dogs, actually.

Dubh was not socialized at all by whoever had her before. Indoors? What's that? A leash? Toys? All foreign to her. She did not know any commands or corrections ("no" "off" "sit"). TV, the dishwasher, the washing machine, the garage door opener....all brand new to her - and this is a dog estimated by my vet to be close to 2 years old .

She entered a house with 2 human adults, 2 adult dogs (6 & 9 years old), a cat and 2 parrots and she's fitting in fine and she's building relationships and she's learning the rules because she's a dog, and they're adaptable and they're good beings by nature .

Pit Bulls are just dogs, and dogs are good .

Old 11-12-2007, 05:24 PM

35 posts, read 67,203 times
I agree, in fact I would go so far as to say that some animals know when you are trying to help them and they often bend over backwards to please you. Could be wishful thinking but I seems true to me.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
Nicolepsy, stop yelling and go back to read previous threads. Do a search on dog bite and you will see an analysis of dog jaw power.

A "measley" thumb? Obviously that wasn't your thumb that someone lost!

I don't know why you keep referring to yellow eyes. My girl and boy both have beautiful brown eyes, deep, soulful brown eyes that show me their souls. They are sweethearts who have never done anything to deserve people's disdain, fear, or anything else. In fact, everyone who has ever met them has loved them.

These dogs have taught me a great deal about prejudice being ignorance. Am I afraid of them? No! If I were afraid of them, they would not be in my house! They love children and have tolerated more pokes and pulls than I would tolerate myself. They love me unconditionally and want nothing more than to be by my side or on me.

I have had a chihuahua. I loved that dog, but she was a neurotic PITA. Yap yap yap yap. My ex thought he was getting a prize when he got her in the divorce--ha! She bit more people in 2 years than my two "scary" dogs ever have in their combined 10 years of living. (They have not bitten anyone.)

No one is going to convince you of how great our dogs are, but you asked the question. Do a search of the forum and read some of our posts about our dogs (who happen to be a certain breed) and why we love them.

Profiling in any form is prejudice. Just pray you are never on the wrong end of it.
well maybe i was being "facetious" when i said "measley thumb"

Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Quote:
Since you "quoted" me I'll respond to this.
First, I did not say all, secondly, it's my choice how and where I choose to discuss APBT topics.
I think it might just be that you are new here still, but there have been some nasty back and forths on the topic to the point where it's nauseating.
I don't choose to debate on a computer screen...that's all.
If you've been fortunate enough to find a civil APBT online BB...hey, that's great!
IMO, more is achieved by an organized group of people conversing in person, not online...again, that's my take on it.
More might be achieved but I don't go to an online forum to save the world. I thought it was to have fun and talk with other APBTs and share about your dog(s). Just like people do here in an all breed setting they do on Pit Bull forums with other APBTs owners.

I agree with the saving the breed and BSL which is much more effective in having a formed group of selective APBT owners who are responsible, ambassadors and will fight for their breed. An online forum can't do much there. We also have an APBT club which I would like to change to an endangered breeds club shortly. Of course thats the best route for our dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs