Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,625,891 times

Advertisements

Last night I got to spend some time petting the new hospital security dog..yes the hospital I work at has 2 security dogs. The new one is a dutch shepherd and I had seen him twice before but was too busy but noticed him watching me and his look melted my heart. Last night I had some time so when I saw him the guard let me pet him and he snuggled into me and was so sweet. He actually made eye contact with me and neither of us looked away like I can do with my own dogs.. I was just so drawn to his eyes. He is ball crazy which reminded me of my Jazz and actually had a chuck it ball in his mouth . I tell you I was in love at first sight! Please do not tell Dazzle or Chaos as they are already wondering why I came home from " work" smelling like a dog....they probably am thinking I was out playing with some other dog instead or working...that I am a dog s ** t !

Our hospital does have a very active therapy dog program too but I will tell you the security dogs have always not only served as security dogs but as therapy dogs for the staff as most of the employees love them and when they are around but not working meaning you have the handlers permission they love the attention everyone gives them and the treats too as many of the nursing stations have a box of dog treats stashed some place!

You may wonder why a hospital needs security dogs? I can tell you when you get a unruly out of control patient that does not calm down with a human security guard all it takes is placing that dog in the room watching them and they settle right down...it is very impressive. In today's world most nights our ER is full of such patients as hospital ER s have sadly become babysitters for drunks and psych patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,921,781 times
Dutchies are amazing!!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,250,291 times
Dashdog it's rare that I can say I'm envious but oh I am! I am!! We had therapy dogs once but when infection control heard about it they stopped it and I work in Psych in a building across the street from the main campus, jeez! They were great, not only for the patients but staff as well. We all looked forward to their visits. I know patients (and sometimes those with the patient!) can be difficult, it'd be great to have security of any kind but especially dogs, you are soooo fortunate! I wish our facility would do something like that - has to be cheaper to 'pay' a dog than a staff and THEY can't unionize, LOL

Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,304,972 times
I'm surprised to hear "When infection control heard about them they stopped it". I've seen pictures of dogs in hospitals- even in patient's bed- on kids wards-in nursing homes. OK maybe not in intensive care or operating room or in certain areas but to outlaw dogs in a whole hospital seems so counter productive to me.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,625,891 times
We have had therapy dogs in the ICU and even my new love was in the SICU ( surgical ICU) when he was cuddling with me.We have not had any increase of infections or other issues with the dogs being there and with a doctors notes even patients dogs can sometimes come in to visit them. I am sure there are people that feel the dogs should not be in the hospital but the vast majority of employees, patients and their families love the fact we do allow therapy dogs and the security dogs.

That said a few years ago my boss who was terrified of dogs did get bit by a new security dog. He had gone down to the security office and no one was there but the new dog ( GSD) was wandering in the office instead of being in its crate. I think what happened next was the dog came up to him to sniff him and being afraid he made eye contact with it then raised his arms up fast and the dog jumped up and bit his arm and held on to it, It did break his skin and really freaked him out. It was sad as of all people for the dog to bite it had to be some one who was afraid of dogs. The other dog handler told me that the dog had not been doing the bite.hold so they had been working with it a lot to get it to do that..well I guess he wanted more practice The dog was young and new and they decided to not keep it so traded it for a really great Belgian Malinois.

The security dogs do have to go through a lot as often young children will run up out of no where and hug them so that bite was just a freak thing form a young inexperienced dog and the fact the dog should have been crated when it was left alone in the office.Despite that happening my boss is Ok with the dogs being there.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,395,489 times
Ohhhhh!!! Dutch shepherds!!! Love, love, love!!! I loved reading all that, Dash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs