Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 AM

259 posts, read 671,360 times

Advertisements

Communicating and talking are two different things.

Even higher order primates can communicate fairly well with sign language, however, their brains do not have a section for syntax like humans do, and neither do dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,011,518 times
Like humans? No. They already communicate with us and read us like books, so they don't need to talk to us. In fact, that's what I like about them the most, no talking.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM

7,152 posts, read 4,871,440 times
I don't think their vocal chords and tongues are formed in a way that they (dogs or non human primates) can actually speak our languages.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,259,067 times
Our vocal abilities are great enough so that shouldn't it be humans that try to learn to 'speak' dog language?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM

588 posts, read 797,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
Or use sign language of some sort? I think that many of the bigger dogs have the intelligence to understand it. I think that it will take time for them to evolve though and progress vocally. Dogs with more vocal abilities like Huskies and Malamutes and much more are starting to improvise the way we talk. Realistically though, any dog could have the vocal abilities to talk like us or mimic us, but dogs genetically related more to wolves have more vocal abilities. I doubt a dog could be capable of having a full conversation using sign language though, but you never know. Only time will tell honestly.
Evolving involves adapting to survive in an ever changing environment. Increased intelligence and better communication abilities are only one possibility out of countless possibilities. Dinosaurs were here much longer than humans and they evolved in ways to become efficient killers or to become better at keeping predators away.

Besides, we may all be disappointed to hear what our dogs actually have to say anyway.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,576,587 times
Wouldn't it be great to have one of those collars that the dogs wore in the movie "Up"? Loved those dogs.
But no, I don't think that dogs have the physiological ability to speak as we do. Not even great apes have the physiology to speak as we do.
However, my dogs are usually able to communicate their needs to us dumb humans. It might take a few tries to get the message across, but they make the effort.
Our old lab (sadly, now gone and terribly missed) was our family spokesman. He let us know what either he or our other dog needed via his woofs and Chewbacca-talk. Such a funny boy. Love him.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,402,273 times
My lab (now passed on also) would make all kinds of noises......and he let us know what he wanted.

"Ever" is a long time so I won't say no........

Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM

32,703 posts, read 48,261,883 times
I have owned (been owned by) a German Shepherd who would copy human body language and facial expressions. She was a great communicator and could communicate with any human being, dog fancier or not.

If they didn't get it the first time, she would do it slower and more pronounced. A lot like people do when speaking to someone who only speaks a foreign language: louder and slower

Most of my dogs work hard to communicate, but the experience depends mostly upon my being able to interpret dog body language.

I suspect that dogs don't have the vocal cords to imitate human speech. The amount of work they put into communicating, I suspect that they would speak if they could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs