Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM

93 posts, read 332,037 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a female dog - boots is her name. She's almost 5, she was spayed when I adopted her (around 8 weeks old) she's a lab, chow mix.
During the last month she has started humping one of her beds several times - usually it's starting around 6-7 at night and shell hump it numerous times throughout the night. From what I'm reading online it could be a dominance issue (she's normally a very submissive mellow dog - still is she just likes her bed) or possibly a sign that she's stressed? We also have a German Shepard (also neutered) who tries to hump her and the bed. I tell him to stop when he tries to mount her.
Should I start saying "no." Or stopping this behavior? It's just this one bed, not the bed that's outside or in the bedroom and she hasn't ever tried to hump anything else.
Thank you. I just don't want her to start humping anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
I woiuld just let her keep being a dog, because this is what they do from time to time.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM

Thank you. I've had dogs my whole life (mostly females) and she's the first active humper. If she's happy and not being destructive then I don't see a reason to stop her. Hopefully she'll grow out of it, if not then I have a female dog who likes her bed.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,748 times
This is common and probably nothing to be done about it. I first heard about this while looking at the Don Imus program as Charles (his co-host at the time) was discussing this anomaly.

I also had observed this and I just scolded ours ("No!) but she would turn around and do it again in a day or two. We had two females and only the one did it; the "submissive" one who deferred to the more dominant one. (both the same size at about 30 pounds each) The dominant one never did it. I attribute it to the fact that the submissive one was attempting to in her own doggy way to exert dominance.

But the tables were turned when we moved. For reasons we do not know, when both were let outside to do their business they proceeded to get into a huge and ugly fight. Turned out the submissive one would have killed the other more normally dominant one. There was blood everywhere but mostly on the dominant one. We wound up giving them to a no-kill shelter as that sort of behavior is unacceptable; where we now live. Otherwise would have had to put them both down although we dearly valued them as pets. We now have a single spayed small male dog we adopted a couple of weeks later from a local shelter.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM

I'm so sorry that happened to you, that must have been heartbreaking to have to give them up. I wish that our animals could speak to us so we could understand their actions better.
I just don't want her to become more dominant. Our other dog Gunther (male Shepard same age) is very dominant. I think maybe she's just trying to show that it's HER bed, although he never tries to sleep on her beds.
Thank you.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaxx View Post
I'm so sorry that happened to you, that must have been heartbreaking to have to give them up. I wish that our animals could speak to us so we could understand their actions better.
I just don't want her to become more dominant. Our other dog Gunther (male Shepard same age) is very dominant. I think maybe she's just trying to show that it's HER bed, although he never tries to sleep on her beds.
Thank you.
Indeed it did but hopefully they have subsequently found good homes. Both were rescued from animal shelters in Texas and we spent much time and money keeping them groomed and healthy over the next six years.

It tore our hearts out but it was necessary. But it also opened our house to our new little dog who is nearly perfect in every way. He likes to sleep under the covers with us and we can take him with us on our trips as he is only about 10 pounds. He's a character and we probably saved him from an untimely death. So there is a silver lining in the story. Thank you for your kind words.

I would also add that when it comes time to put down an elderly dog nearing the end, it is a humane way to do this. It is nearly painless and immediate. But as in our case it opens up the home for a new pet that otherwise might meet an untimely end by euthanasia. Unfortunately most stray dogs and cats are and it seems to be the norm today which goes to the necessity of having them neutered.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 08-17-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM

That is so true. I was raised in a very strict household in the way of ALWAYS spay/neuter every animal (even the feral cats were humanely trapped and spayed then released). My parents also taught the importantance of adopting a animal or getting it from a rescue. I'm very fortunate with that.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaxx View Post
Hi. I have a female dog - boots is her name. She's almost 5, she was spayed when I adopted her (around 8 weeks old) she's a lab, chow mix.
During the last month she has started humping one of her beds several times - usually it's starting around 6-7 at night and shell hump it numerous times throughout the night. From what I'm reading online it could be a dominance issue (she's normally a very submissive mellow dog - still is she just likes her bed) or possibly a sign that she's stressed? We also have a German Shepard (also neutered) who tries to hump her and the bed. I tell him to stop when he tries to mount her.
Should I start saying "no." Or stopping this behavior? It's just this one bed, not the bed that's outside or in the bedroom and she hasn't ever tried to hump anything else.
Thank you. I just don't want her to start humping anything else.
I'd watch the dynamic between her and the GSD since this just started. What is leading up to him humping her and when you see him approach or give a cue that he's going to exert himself on her- interrupt it. I totally agree with you correcting him for doing that - it is considered rude in the dog world.

Something may be brewing. No, I wouldn't correct her for bed humping but I'd watch to see if the GSD is getting her frustrated, intimidated, whatever. I might try and distract her but you say she does it at night. So that's kinda weird if everyone else is sleeping. And while I don't know this to be anything physical I'd watch for a Urinary Tract Infection. Did HE just start the humping or has he always done it. If HE just started it then there is DEFINITELY something going on and I'd say he is sensing a weak energy from her. Now why is the question??

I'd keep nipping it in the bud with him. And I'd walk them together to create a more respectful pack mentality not him always being "wrong" but intuitively understanding that she is not to be messed with like that. She just may have enough one of these days and it'd get ugly.

Or all of a sudden she loves her bed. But I think not. Oh wait I just reread you said "hump her AND the bed". So yeah, it's probably she wants to own the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs