Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times

Advertisements

Well now my 7 yo Wiem developed a mass cell tumor near the vulva. It was removed on Monday and being sent out for biopsy.

The vet was concern because it seemed to grow so fast although it could have been it wasn't noticeable until it got big. She said it is possible it isn't cancer but it had a large stem.

This is the 2nd dog in the last week that has had surgery for possible cancer, the other one had a tumor on his spleen which ruptured.

Has anyone else had a dog with that type of tumor that was not cancer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
My boxer, who lived to the age of 16+ yrs, had several tumors removed at 9...He was fine after surgery and never had another show up. Hope you girl is ok.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,526 times
My girl had a mast cell. It was removed by the Vet, We were referred to an oncologist who said it staged as a 1, luckily no further treatment was needed.That was 4 years ago.

Good luck with your girl too ..

Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
So sorry to hear this, Keeper. No info but lots of sympathy.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,482 times
Both of my girls had mast cell tumors. All but one was graded as a 1, with slow cell division - meaning that my vet's surgical excision with his wide margins was effectively a cure (no need to do anything else, and very unlikely to have spread).

My EP girl did have a higher grade MCT pop up that was so diffuse it couldn't be easily removed; however, she was at the same time diagnosed with a second type of cancer elsewhere that could not be cured or even put into a small remission, so there was no point in doing more with the higher grade cancerous mast cell tumor. She did live another 6 months of which much of it was as though nothing serious was wrong, not until very close to the end (we don't know her age, but I'd guess anywhere from 11 to 14).

What I know is that the best result is a grade one (and sometimes they do a further test to determine how fast the cells were multiplying). If the margins are wide enough (to be as certain as possible that all of the cells have been removed), the surgery may be all that is needed and considered curative. But mast cells can pop up again anywhere, so you need to keep an eye on any new bumps.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you get good news, ie that this is either not cancerous or that the tumor was able to be completely removed. I hate waiting for biopsy results.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Thank you everyone.. I am still waiting for both biopsys to come back. After all your post, I am more concerned with Harley who had the spleen with tumor removed. Of course, I do worry about my girl but the vet did say she got it all when she removed it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,092 times
OMG, my female has one in the very same place. I was going to start a thread about it. I just took some photos attaching one to this post. Could you tell me if your dog's was the same? The vet was the person who pointed it out to me, it had been the same size for a few months, recently I noticed it seems to have gotten larger.

Vet said just to keep an eye on it, any change to bring her back in to have it removed. The whole thing about cancer scares me.
Attached Thumbnails
Mass Cell Tumor anyone dealt with this?-thoravulva.jpg  

Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,304 times
I Have a 11yr. old female Yellow Lab with several small fatty tumors, 2 of them are larger though they have been checked and think its just fat. The location of the large ones are the concern because of location, one is wrapped arouns her neckline but down a bit the other is under her arm pit both on right side. i am worried because we have surgery swet up for next week. our vet recommends it because the size is manageble now . Waiting if it does grow could hinder her breathing or swallowing. I am extremely worried for her we love this girl and want the best for her. She has had 3 other surgeries in her life. 1 Spaying no prob. 2nd exploritorie for stomach nd 4 yrs ago through out her ACL had that repaired. uPoor girl dont want to loose her hope she has more time with us. Any oppinions on any of this?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 17,304 times
Do u think its wise of a dog age11, to have surgery for this problem. Fatty tumors removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs