Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,626,363 times

Advertisements

I have 2 personal dogs, and usually a foster dog here as well.

My 12 year old female boxer is undergoing a personality change as she ages and is becoming less alpha with other dogs. She is still stubborn and when she thinks its time for a snack, she is a relentless complainer. She is the fun police with our foster dogs and the family schedule-keeper. Always reminds me when its time for walks, time for meals, and bedtime. Her head is softer than velvet and she loves to nuzzle her face to my face. She also wipes her eyes on my pant legs (gross!). When I snuggle with her, I think "she's my favorite"

My 10 year old male boston terrier is very playful. He has overcome his separation anxiety of earlier years but still hates to be home alone and if I need to take my other dog somewhere and can't bring him, he suffers visibly. When we come home, he is so happy to see us he can't contain his joy...leaping and dancing and then offering us a beer (a toy, really, LOL) He is afraid of thunder. He has a ferocious growl but that's just his voice. He hates to be picked up or held but loves to sit next to me, leaning in. When I put my face near his face and talk softly to him, he grunts happily and sounds like a pig. At those times I think "he's my favorite:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,821,575 times
True Favoritism is a thing that starts MANY pack problems and people should be very careful to NOT have favoritism. Even though I assume your title is supposed to be light hearted and your story make the point that there should be no favorites .

Every dog should be an equal. And treated as such. Same rules, boundaries and limitations. But you'll see some people allow the "favorite" to act wrong or not notice it...then blame the OTHER ONE.

It's particularly common with people who think it's so cute their LAB or Border Collie [or other pushy type dog] is "in charge" or drives his nose into everybody, pushes his way into the food stealing everyone elses', pushes his way outside first, controls all the toys, controls all the owner's attention etc etc etc, then when the secondary non favorite dog reacts - THAT dog gets in trouble.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,365,952 times
I love the two dogs I have right now pretty equally. In fact, I love all of the 2 dogs and 3 cats pretty equally! I do everything I can to be a fair "mom" (and no, I don't call them my fur kids, I know they aren't children, but in speaking to them I do refer to myself as Mom). Obviously the cats and dogs have slightly different rules, and I know at times my animals think things aren't as equal as they should be!
With past dogs, I have had favorites, but have done everything possible not to show it by fussing over one more than the other, or allowing one to get away with more. Interestingly, my favorites have shifted from one to the other at times. This is about feelings, not how I treat them. I've thought they might be able to sense it, but done everything I can to prevent it. Lets face it, many parents have favorites among their human children, although they love them all. I only have one child, but I've heard many parents admit this. It's when you make this obvious that there are problems. We all have feelings and react to people, animals and things differently. After all, we're only human!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,048,596 times
I know I might get flack for this, but...Yup, I have a border collie & a yorkie...and many may be surprised to see me admit that the collie is my favorite. He loves to play, and isn't jealous. He's easy to train, doesn't go potty in the house or tear things up. My yorkie is adorable, but she is a bratt. She has to be in a crate when we are not home because she will tear things up, chew on wires, and sometimes will go potty in the house (I've tried the puppy pads, she will just tear them up). I do love both of my dogs and I don't give my collie special treatment. In fact, when I'm on the couch watching tv, my yorkie is always on my lap or laying next to me. The collie isn't much of a cuddler. When we play with & pet the dogs, I always make sure to pet & hug them both. I just feel like my collie has a bit more of a special place in my heart.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,227,309 times
Same here jrsydevil, (nice name btw!) we have 3 cats, 2 dogs and I have a favorite dog and cat. Maybe because they were the first and are the smartest? I dunno. Also, the one dog and cat lived with my brother for a few years and I didn't see them much.

Judy was my choice at the shelter, she was one of three in a litter. I chose her because when we stopped at the enclosure the other two pups ran up to the door but she saw an opportunity to run to the back and grab the toy. I thought, that's a smart puppy. I didn't know she was the only female, I just knew she'd be a great dog and she has been. She was easy to train and just today my brother told me she let him know she needed to out by walking over to where we keep her collar and leash and looking up. No barking for Ms. Judy. Her friendship with Orion (my beloved cat) also endears her to me.

Bruno is quiet now, he's 8 and has Cushing's disease so he's slowed down. He is almost twice Judy's size but has always been intimidated by her. He's a sweet guy, as you would expect from a chocolate lab, and has a terrific sense of humor. He's very sweet and I do love him but I just can't say I'm as close to him as I am Judy. I don't think it's an issue though, as I write this he's asleep under my brother's feet =)

Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,312,697 times
When we were kids, we'd ask mymom wwhich of the three of us was her favorite. She always said, "Whichever one of you is hurting or sick is my favorite at that moment, but I always love you equally." I look at our dogs the same way, loving them all equally and for who they are. I have never had a favorite, but when one is sick and getting more of my attention, he or she is my favorite at that moment.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,359,877 times
We have 3 dogs, all pitbulls, 1 mixed with bulldog and I do have my favorite. There is no letting her get away with something that the others aren't, but because she's so awesome she rarely steps out of line. She likes attention and will clearly show you how happy she is when you're there, but she doesn't intrude on your space and get annoyingly clingy. She is full of personality, and has no idea how much she weighs. I often joke that she wishes she were 20-30 lbs lighter because then she could actually fit in my lap instead of just plopping her butt there and trying to wiggle the rest of her in. I have had dogs most of my life, but this one is special. I think this kind of dog only happens once in a lifetime. It's just an unspoken bond she and I share.

On the same note, i absolutely adore my senior male and my 1 year old pup. They make our lives complete, and I'm thankful for every one of them. I will mourn them all when they pass, but I know there will be a hole in my heart when my girl Chaos goes.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:11 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,552,370 times
I try to treat my dogs as equals and usually can do that with no problem as I like each dog for its individual reason: However I am guilty for having had a favorite. Jazz was my favorite and was my once in a life time dog. She was the most difficult dog I have owned but by far the smartest dog I have ever even met. She related to me on a much different level then any of the others and during her life time she lived at least part of her life with each of these dogs. Maddie, Dash, Phoenix and Dazzle and while I did love each of them they did not have that special relationship with me. It is difficult to explain to someone that has never had that one very special dog as it is just a very different relationship. Wow I just realized Chaos is the only dog I have owned that did not know Queen Jazz!

With the two I have now I have no favorite but if you asked each one they would tell you that they were my favorite! I love Dazzle and Chaos and think they are great dogs yet in my heart they pale next to Jazz. I try hard not to compare them to her as they could never be her.Yes she was that special to me and only God knows why as I said she was a very difficult dog at times.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM

150 posts, read 342,681 times
I never had two dogs, but decided to add another to our pack. One is almost 5 years old (Maddie) and the little one (Maggie) is 6 months old. The older one is my favorite, but the little one makes me laugh all the time. There are many times that I say that I wish I stopped at one, but could never give either one up.

Maggie is still a pup and getting into everything, but I love that she is friendly with dogs and people. Maddie is fully trained and easy to control, but is not dog friendly - only likes 50% of them. Each one has their own unique personality, and complete our life in a different way.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,359,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I try to treat my dogs as equals and usually can do that with no problem as I like each dog for its individual reason: However I am guilty for having had a favorite. Jazz was my favorite and was my once in a life time dog. She was the most difficult dog I have owned but by far the smartest dog I have ever even met. She related to me on a much different level then any of the others and during her life time she lived at least part of her life with each of these dogs. Maddie, Dash, Phoenix and Dazzle and while I did love each of them they did not have that special relationship with me. It is difficult to explain to someone that has never had that one very special dog as it is just a very different relationship. Wow I just realized Chaos is the only dog I have owned that did not know Queen Jazz!

With the two I have now I have no favorite but if you asked each one they would tell you that they were my favorite! I love Dazzle and Chaos and think they are great dogs yet in my heart they pale next to Jazz. I try hard not to compare them to her as they could never be her.Yes she was that special to me and only God knows why as I said she was a very difficult dog at times.
You have a dog named Chaos too?! Ha, people get a kick out of her name whenever they meet her. She was a crazy pup, and I just knew she'd live up to her name, but alas... she did not. She is laaaazzzzyyy. But I don't even think "chaotic" when I call her name, its just her name now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs