Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

My neighbors have three large dogs in their pen that bark at any hour of the night. It has been that way for years.

A while back another dog they have was eating cat food from our porch. She's lab-sized and has obviously had a lot of litters over her years. They recently got her, but I'm not sure from where. My neighbors have relatives coming and going all the time. They have seven dogs that I know of, four of them large dogs. This dog was tied up for a while but is loose again. If you approach her she runs. I wonder if her being so skittish might actually be a bad thing, if she might be dangerous when cornered.

The neighbors fight with each other. The police have been there a few times. They're a mess.

A few years ago their dog got loose and killed three of my kittens. They took that dog out and shot it. Since then we haven't had issues with their dogs being dangerous, but they are annoying.

Our other neighbor said that if that dog is loose the police told her to call. I guess we could call, too. I guess the police told them to keep their dog tied up.

Their two shih tzus poop in our yard regularly. I don't mind so much since they're small, friendly, and not dangerous. However, one day the neighbor thought we were all gone and she led her pit bull on a leash to our yard and watched it poop (coincidentally, I haven't seen that dog lately). My Dad stepped out the door and the neighbor cleaned up the mess. Otherwise she had no intention to. She purposefully led the dog to our yard.

I realize sometimes neighbors animals get into each other's yards. I sometimes have to go get my small dogs when they wander into the other other neighbor's yard, but our dogs are not dangerous. My outside cat wanders around, but the neighbors don't seem to mind. She keeps the mice and rat population down.

The only time I really mind an animal in my yard is when the owner drags the animal into my yard to poop or the animal might be dangerous. We're afraid this wandering dog might be dangerous.

Calling the police opens up another can of worms and I hate to get on my neighbors' bad side. I don't entirely trust them, especially two of the teenage boys (I have reason not to trust them but I won't go into it). Do you think this is worth calling the police over? Where do I draw the line?

As far as Animal Control, we don't have that. We don't have limits on how many animals people can have. When it comes to animals, the police only get involved if they feel it is a dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I'm sure there are noise ordences that you can call and find out about if they are barking at all hours. Also, you can ask that you remain unknown to the neighbors, there also might be a number to call to report incedences without giving your name...good luck, I've had mega problems with one neighbor who let their agressive dogs out and they finally went to court and promised the judge they'd get rid of the dogs...they are still there but not let out now.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times
You posted it's been going on for years. I'm not too sure I would contact the authorities at this point. From the rest of your post it sounds like you may end up with a much bigger problem.

All I can say is you've got to pick your battles.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
So...its ok for your animals to wonder in peoples yard because they are "small" and "friendly" and "not dangerous" but not ok for your neighbors to do it with their pit bull????

I'd call the cops on both of you for failure to contain your animals. If I see them again lethal force will be used.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
surely you are not the only one in your community with concerns about loose animals, number of pets in each household etc. Take action. Contact your local assemblyman, county official and start the ball rolling for change. Somebody has to be the first one. You may not want to be the leader but you can certainly help draw out other like minded individuals who will help you with your petition. Wait until after the holidays as people are busy, short on time and energy but think of ways you can organize other folks to help make some change. This is the American Way.
And start by being a responsible pet owner yourself by not letting your dogs loose. How can you criticize others for the same behavior you are guilty of?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
So...its ok for your animals to wonder in peoples yard because they are "small" and "friendly" and "not dangerous" but not ok for your neighbors to do it with their pit bull????

I'd call the cops on both of you for failure to contain your animals. If I see them again lethal force will be used.
So you would kill a friendly dog or cat that came in your yard? What a badass you are.

But anyway, you need to contain your animals as well. Doesn't matter what kind of personality they have. What if your cat goes into a neighbor's dog pen and gets killed? The dog doesn't care if the cat is "friendly". Are you going to blame the neighbor?

Keep your animals in your yard. It's not hard. If you can't afford an outside pen or fence then you don't need an animal.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
My dogs rarely get out of my yard. Also, people around here tend to not care if animals wander around as long as they are not dangerous. I regularly see dogs in my yard and my neighborhood. Some are regular visitors. I don't mind and the neighbors don't seem to either as long as they are not dangerous. The police only get involved in a dangerous situation. I'm not sure what the law is here (or if anybody cares about it), but generally people here tolerate dogs wandering as long as the dogs don't seem to be a threat.

The only reason I would consider calling the police is because the police told my other neighbors to call if that dog got loose again. I'm trying to figure out if I should do what the police said to do. I don't know that the dog is dangerous, but she's very skittish which makes me nervous about her. She might be dangerous if she felt threatened. The neighbors dogs bark at all hours of the night and years ago one of their dogs got loose and killed my kittens (they took that dog out and shot it). Their dogs have been a problem for years. I just don't trust those neighbors teenage boys so I don't want to get on their bad side.

My cat is smart enough not to go near those dogs.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
My neighbors have three large dogs in their pen that bark at any hour of the night. It has been that way for years.

A while back another dog they have was eating cat food from our porch. She's lab-sized and has obviously had a lot of litters over her years. They recently got her, but I'm not sure from where. My neighbors have relatives coming and going all the time. They have seven dogs that I know of, four of them large dogs. This dog was tied up for a while but is loose again. If you approach her she runs. I wonder if her being so skittish might actually be a bad thing, if she might be dangerous when cornered.

The neighbors fight with each other. The police have been there a few times. They're a mess.

A few years ago their dog got loose and killed three of my kittens. They took that dog out and shot it. Since then we haven't had issues with their dogs being dangerous, but they are annoying.

Our other neighbor said that if that dog is loose the police told her to call. I guess we could call, too. I guess the police told them to keep their dog tied up.

Their two shih tzus poop in our yard regularly. I don't mind so much since they're small, friendly, and not dangerous. However, one day the neighbor thought we were all gone and she led her pit bull on a leash to our yard and watched it poop (coincidentally, I haven't seen that dog lately). My Dad stepped out the door and the neighbor cleaned up the mess. Otherwise she had no intention to. She purposefully led the dog to our yard.

I realize sometimes neighbors animals get into each other's yards. I sometimes have to go get my small dogs when they wander into the other other neighbor's yard, but our dogs are not dangerous. My outside cat wanders around, but the neighbors don't seem to mind. She keeps the mice and rat population down.

The only time I really mind an animal in my yard is when the owner drags the animal into my yard to poop or the animal might be dangerous. We're afraid this wandering dog might be dangerous.

Calling the police opens up another can of worms and I hate to get on my neighbors' bad side. I don't entirely trust them, especially two of the teenage boys (I have reason not to trust them but I won't go into it). Do you think this is worth calling the police over? Where do I draw the line?

As far as Animal Control, we don't have that. We don't have limits on how many animals people can have. When it comes to animals, the police only get involved if they feel it is a dangerous situation.
that is such a hard one to answer: we live in a simi rural area with very few fences, but only a couple of neighbors allow their dogs to wander. There is a hound dog, about a block away that is out more than in. In fact right now he is wandering in the street in front of our house.I hate to say anything because our little guy does get out and will venture a few doors away as well as go with anyone who says hi to him. The hound is not doing any damage, but causes all the rest of the dogs in the nieghborhood to bark like craze plus yes, he thinks everyones yard is his bathroom. of course our problem isn't as serious as yours. I think if i were you I would call the police. They may not be able to do anything, but at least you will have tried.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post

that is not what he/she was saying. I completely understand the situation. This is probably why the poster hasn't taken action, I know it is one of the reasons we haven't, but we are not talking about the dog, who gets out once in awhile and we go after. We are talking about animals that run constantly, who bark all the time and are generally a neighborhood nuisence. There is a hugh difference. And I certainly do not believe you mean what you said about lethal force!!!! Enen jokingly, that is a terrible thing to say.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,882 times
Sounds like this sort of stuff just happens where you live and there isn't much you can do about it short of moving out of redneckville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs