Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,234 times

Advertisements

I have an American bulldog mix that I rescued from a shelter. She consistently barks at the neighbor through the fence. She obeys pretty well with most commands except this. Neighbors complaining and I understand but I am trying. Used a bark collar but it hurt her so I threw it in garbage. I work full time so can't always be home. Have been trying treats with command quiet but I feel like I can't leave house or that I should constantly be watching her waiting for her to bark. How long does it usually take to train or any other suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
I don't understand. You are at work...so leave the dog inside the house.
You're asking for trouble leaving it out in the yard all day.
And it's EXTREMELY inconsiderate to your neighbors.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM

11,297 posts, read 19,651,056 times
Lots of walkies, long one before you leave for work and another when you get home, and keep her inside when you are not home, and bring her inside when she starts to bark, when you are home.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,458,606 times
Agreed. A dog left alone in the yard all day will bark. Boredom, protecting its home. It's not going to stop. And eventually you'll have problems- kids that get tired of her barking at them as they walk by throw rocks, etc.
If she's not trustworthy yet to leave loose in the house, either crate her (better if you can come home at lunch) or baby gate her in a certain room. With time she should be able to have the run of the house.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM

She has a doggy door in garage with full insulated house. Can't have her inside. Want training suggestions not criticism. Told ths neighbors I thought it would be helpful if she met them. Then maybe wouldn't feel so threatened.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 PM

She gets long walks usually at night after work. I take her to park, lake and other surrounding areas.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM

11,297 posts, read 19,651,056 times
Not criticizing. Telling you why your dog is barking, and what you need to do to help her. Dogs are social animals. They need exercise (daily walks), interaction and attention from their humans. Left alone to live in a yard or a garage with no human interaction? A dog is going to bark.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working mom of 3 View Post
She has a doggy door in garage with full insulated house. Can't have her inside. Want training suggestions not criticism. Told ths neighbors I thought it would be helpful if she met them. Then maybe wouldn't feel so threatened.
They are not threatened. They are harassed and annoyed.

Why did you get a dog if you 'can't have her in the house'?

We get it...you want to train her out of a problem that you are creating. You don't get that, do you?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,896,434 times
dogs shouldnt be allowed outside "alone" while theres noone home, accidents happen all the time, and neighbors arnt "threatend" there ANNYED, how would you like it if everytime you tried to go outside you had a neighbor blasting super loud music or something? its inconsiderate. if she cant be in the house while your at work (theres NO reason she cant be...) then keep her inside the garage or put up a seperate dog run thats NOT facing the neighbors (and can be padlocked and too tall to toss things over.)

you cant train the dog not to bark when your not there to be consistent, so by leaving her alone during the day "allowing" her to bark, then correcting her the rest of the time is REALY confusing.

if you "cant" keep her indoors while your working then its time to create privicy by adding slats to the current fence or planting thick shrubbery along the fence to hide the veiw but the fact is she will continue to bark at the neihgbors because shes a dog, shes bored and she can see people and activity next to her territory. if your NOT there to supervise, she should be left in place shed have no reason to display this behaviour...

I love dogs, but i cant stand it when my own or the neighbors dogs bark at the fence ect...

Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM

I'm not talking bout the neighbors feeling threatened. Talking about my dog feeling threatened. The dog bring outside isn't the issue. She is socialized. She doesn't bark randomly. She barks at ONE neighbor. I want advice on how to TRAIN her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs