Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM

42 posts, read 49,339 times

Advertisements

I saw a similar post but my situation is different since my dog has heart disease. I just moved from the suburbs to the city in a home with three other people. My dog has always barked when I left but only for the time that it took for me to get to my car. Then she would simply sleep all day.

Now that I'm moved in, my girl barks non stop when I leave. She is simply not adapting. The barking is not only upsetting to me, her, and the roommates (though they've been very sweet and supportive) but I am afraid it will put stress on her heart. Not good. Also, I fear she will push her way out the door when roommates come home or leave.

I took a week off of work to try to get her adapted. I spent lots of time having her smell around, check everything out and go for walks (albeit short due to her heart getting too stressed) around the new neighborhood. Eventually I came to realize I wasn't adapting so I took her back to my moms home for a few days so i could go out and get accustomed. I picked her back up and spent more time with her. I attempted going out for a few hours while one roommate stayed home and worked. She told me my pup barked the entire four hours! When I got back she was a panting mess and I felt horrible. Another time I tried to go out for only one hour. When I got back, again, I was told she barked the entire time and when I opened the door to go in, she tried to push through to escape.

I tried several things to make it better for her. I didn't wash my sheets cause she sleeps on the bed with me and I wanted her to smell familiar scents, I brought all her favorite toys and I try to keep routine pretty much the same. I tried giving her a hollowed out bone with food stuffed in it, which she only had some of the food in it. I tried a crate that I bought a month before the move and covered it, had a fan set on high for white noise and closed all curtains, but she was very stressed over this. I admit I didn't crate train really, but I felt she was comfortable going in it. I think she likes being able to walk around and check the house out and say hi to roommates if they are here. I got a calming collar but that does nothing. I really don't know what to do.

I work ten hour days so I'm really afraid of leaving her alone so I have been taking her back to my moms house where she is used to it. I don't know how I can get her used to it here.

I have the wonderful option of bringing her to work (I am a nanny) but I'm not sure how long they will let me do that. Maybe a week tops. Please I need help with how I can get her to feel secure and not bark and be stress free like she used to! Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,017,748 times
I would check with your vet about giving her a calming pill like Happy Traveler that I give to my pups during thunderstorms or if a thunder shirt is a possibility.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM

I ordered the Thundershirt and hope it works! Any other ideas or tips?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,412,071 times
You can try Composure. It is supposed to help dogs calm down.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,373,985 times
Another thought, the health food stores sell a product called Rescue Remedy, all natural, you can put it in their water or on a biscuit, it's supp. to relax them and take the edge off and my understanding is that ppl can even use it too (it's about $15 for a small bottle, over-the-counter, the ppl who sell it can give you more info)

PS Maybe leaving the tv or radio on in your room for her would help (not sure if you're already doing this), I like peace and quiet myself but I also like some subtle background noise, we leave it on for our dogs when we leave and they seem to do well (maybe they'd do just as well if we didnt, I dont know, lol)

Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM

13,911 posts, read 39,107,922 times
Is there any reason you cant just leave her with your mom? At 14 I would not put her thru it. And of course you can Visit anytime LOL

Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the ideas! And no, I can't leave her with my mom. She is my dog (she's 12 so she's not that old. She still has quite a bit of perkiness! ) and my responsibility plus my mom lives nearly an hour away. Also she gets depressed when I'm not there for extended periods of time. My poor girl.
I'm gonna give all these ideas a shot!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM

What about the roommates Did she know them Before you/they moved in or are they strangers? I would also put in some nanny cameras to keep eye on things see if you can pin point whats happening in your absence. Yep moms too far away. I was thinking you could let mom doggies sit while your working for awhile then try leaving her home once a week the build up to her being home all the time. BTW are there any other pets in the home New to her cat? Dog? Some dogs don't like sharing there turf.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM

I brought Fauna over a few times to get to know the roommates and she thought it was a fun trip. Not so fun when I leave though! She seems to like them but just freaks when I am not there. She's the only animal there which is also kind of sad cause she's used to having a buddy. Nanny cameras is an idea!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 AM

O M G the dog THINKS your Deserting her to these people!! Got time off coming up? Do this... Leave go out side & really listen... Time how long before she does on the 1st time tho. Calmly return & IGNORE her! There is your base. After about 30 mins Leave again! Stay away the Excate amount of time she was good the last time! Don't return any earlier than she was good the 1st time or all she will learn is caring on Makes you return. After several time go away a bit long! YOU said you trained Obed dogs Same Way you trained for STAYS Train her to be without you! AFTER you been back inside a few mins with her THEN great her & Treat! Weather you treat with Hug or Treats don't matter. Once you worked up to say an hour.. I think she will be ok. Another thing ADD the roommates going inside 1st after she ok for say 30 mins. Let them great her 1st after a min or so inside ignoring her. Then you go in ignore both roommates & dog. Try this let me know how its going. Progress depends on Dog reaction! & if you go too fast then Back up to her comfort zone. Also after an hour of her really being comfortable alone or with them start your car but don't leave yet. Another thing Don't let them do anything with her No Calming her down etc dogs Think that means there is a reason to act up or behave badly [this could be part of the problem too they are reassuring her but in her doggy mind that's just reinforcing her fear of being left behind!] They need to IGNORE her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs