Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times

Advertisements

Any ideas? Tried food elimination...oatmeal then apple cider vinegar...

Read somewhere about those tent worms creating allergies?

Any help would be wonderful and a relief for our dog...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,456,106 times
How long has the dog been scratching? Have you seen your vet?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Vet visit is in order...could be almost anything from food allergies to flea/flea allergies.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM

605 posts, read 2,991,333 times
What's s/he eating? When we changed our dog's food from cheap grocery store brands to Merrick he went from not being able to walk two steps without stopping to scratch and raw spots on his tail, to having a beautiful coat with no itchiness. Spray on stuff for hot spots that the vet gave us didn't work well and the spots came back yearly when we turned on the heat.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
Probably allergies and easily corrected with a very small dosage of pred. See your vet. Years ago, Dr. Jane in NYC had gold pills that seemed to cure everything. I wish that I could still find them. Took care of a similar problem within two days.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM

899 posts, read 2,944,436 times
Where is the dog playing at..Our first cocker came up this same stuff and a lot of it was grasses and fields we were playing in..She was in obedience training we were just having a lot of fun being outside at the park playing..Doc gave her a steriod and it worked..A warm soapless bath can help too..
good luck

Old 10-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
How long has the dog been scratching? Have you seen your vet?
Started about 3 months ago. He stopped for a few weeks and started again 3-04 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Vet visit is in order...could be almost anything from food allergies to flea/flea allergies.
Changed diet from Rachel Ray (was Blue Buffalo) to just BARF for the last month.. Scratching continued. Now feeding WILD and BARF...

No fleas...possible some other critter out side? we though fire ants but were told allergies not likely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
What's s/he eating? When we changed our dog's food from cheap grocery store brands to Merrick he went from not being able to walk two steps without stopping to scratch and raw spots on his tail, to having a beautiful coat with no itchiness. Spray on stuff for hot spots that the vet gave us didn't work well and the spots came back yearly when we turned on the heat.

We had completely changed diet for a month and scratching continued. Vet said they could do "some" tests but that results might be tentative at best--unless blood work showed something and after a few hundred dollars we might have an idea?

Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,456,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Started about 3 months ago. He stopped for a few weeks and started again 3-04 weeks ago.

We had completely changed diet for a month and scratching continued. Vet said they could do "some" tests but that results might be tentative at best--unless blood work showed something and after a few hundred dollars we might have an idea?
When my dogs contracted fleas via the cat, their scratching drove me crazy. After spending about $600 on flea baths, house bombing kits (which I never set off), a couple packs of Frontline (totally useless imo), I stomped into the vets office and went off. lol

The front desk said, 'Oh, we have a product that works for 30 days to kill every stage of the flea. It's called Comfortis.' It was $24 for SIX pills!!!! Are you kidding me????????? I spent $600 and they're still itching like crazy!

I gave them each the pill and voila! NO MORE itching!!! Gave the cat one pill that works for 24 hours only. That was about $6 for the pill I think... I can't remember... and I think it started with an S...

So, I would say, maybe your dog has fleas? That would be so simple! Have you checked him/her with a flea comb down in the inner thigh area?

Other than that, all I can say is, if my dogs were itching, I would obviously gladly pay whatever the cost to get it stopped. I find it highly annoying to listen to it and I'm sure it's driving the dogs crazy!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM

We too would pay anything to have the scratching stop. We just don't want to spend $$$ to be told it might be any one of 5 or 6 causes...The vet we talked to said she cannot say with any degree of centainty that she will be able to identify the exact cause. The best she can do (if the blood work is good) tell us 3 or more causes and then set our dog on various meds in hopes ONE of the meds stop the itching...

Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Any ideas? Tried food elimination...oatmeal then apple cider vinegar...

Read somewhere about those tent worms creating allergies?

Any help would be wonderful and a relief for our dog...
I'd go to the vet to know exactly why he or she is scratching so much. One of my babies is very allergic and during autumn (right now, grrr) and spring it's terrible for her.

Anyway, fall is "flea time" and sometimes if you've been using the same product to eliminate them, ticks, mosquitoes, etc. for a while (frontline, etc) they are "more resistant", so it's a good idea to change the brand (to advantix etc etc) and it will be more effective. But before this I'd ask a vet the cause of the scratching.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs