Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times

Advertisements

I really just want to see how everyone else does this. Bath time at our house is not fun at all! lol! So, do you bathe your dog in the bathtub, outside with a water hose, do you take them to the groomer? Do you have a certain shampoo that you like best and that is the best for your dog? Does your dog like baths? Do you do something to dry your dog besides just towel drying? What's your normal bath routine, oh and how often do you normally bathe your dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,371 times
I take a shower with them

They sell these things at petsmart for like $20 and let me tell you; it's a real life saver. No running away and you don't have to freeze your bum off or sweat it off either. It makes it super easy. I'm not sure how ever bathed them outside.

Indoor Dog Shower - SmartPakCanine

And just a quick towel dry. And with teddie he was has a special medicated shampoo that is $20 for 15 oz. And I do all of his hair cutting and trims.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
During summer I bathe them outside with Ikaria Relieve shampoo, I use a blower to dry them, not a blow dryer mind you, but one designed for dogs. I then apply The Stuff.

In between post cleanings I use Fresh & Clean waterless shampoo and towel dry.

During winter I take them in to work a few times and let the groomers bathe them.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Katie is trained to jump in the tub..easier on my back. She gets bathed 2 times a year, bothafter I am sure she is done shedding. Before she was spayed I bathed her right after her heat cycle. Soaped 2 times & rinsed well, toweled dry. The shampoo is vanilla
scented [old breeders trick kills the smell]

Old 09-23-2007, 05:47 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
I had a Shih Tzu in College and I bathed him in the tub. I trained him to shake (which would help him dry off before I towel blotted him down).

Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,122 times
My guy is still little, so I bathe him in the utility sink in the garage. I use some type of oatmeal shampoo.

When he gets big, I'll probably bring him to the groomer on occasion and supplement with outside baths at home.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:20 AM

673 posts, read 3,145,219 times
We bathe our dog in the bathtub...he HATES baths!!! So I usually have to con him into the bathroom with a treat (he'll come in if I am in the shower or other times, just not when I ASK him to come in..then he knows). He puts his head down and jumps in the tub and spends the entire time trying to stick his nose over the edge of the tub. When he is done we usually dry him off with a towel and then he usually tries to lay on my husband's side of the bed so when he comes to bed, his side is all wet! LOL (he also growls at my husband when he comes into bed...but when I move him he doesnt care). We bathe him about once every two months or so...or if needed. Its a sight to see!

This is his look every time:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/vturnage/tazzybathagain.jpg (broken link)

And here he is in his bath robe with cute rubber ducks on! LOL (from Petsmart)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/vturnage/afterbath.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM

All three of our dogs act the same way about baths! lol! They will not go into the bathroom! We have to pick them up and carry them to the tub and we have to hold them in there the whole time or the will jump out! It's hard, especially for me because I'm a pretty small person (5'3" 108 pounds), to hold them in the tub with one hand and bathe and rinse them with the other! They really do not like baths! lol! We use an oatmeal shampoo most of the time, but we also have a medicated shampoo from the vet and we have some medicated spray from the vet that helps with the PH balance of their skin. We use the spray after their baths. APBTs are prone to skin problems, so we are pretty picky about shampoos that we use. They have never had any real problems with their skin, but we just want to be safe. We wash them, rinse them off, let them shake and then towel dry them. They have short fur, so after that they dry on their own in a few minutes. We normally bathe them once every 2 or 3 months unless they need to be bathed more often, but we don't bathe then any more than once a month (unless they get into something nasty and we have to bathe them sooner.. lol).

Does everyone clean their dogs ears, cut their dogs nails and brush their dogs teeth at home too, or do you take him or her to the vet or somewhere else for that?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
I do not bathe my hounds. Ear cleanings done at home which can be a pain as they see bottle and run so takes 2 at times and get them when settled hold collar and wash..Nails at home and vet, at least til get new clippers that show quick so not bleed. Teeth cleaning is bones they get and vet checks em.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I do not bathe my hounds. Ear cleanings done at home which can be a pain as they see bottle and run so takes 2 at times and get them when settled hold collar and wash..Nails at home and vet, at least til get new clippers that show quick so not bleed. Teeth cleaning is bones they get and vet checks em.
You don't bathe your hounds at all? Do you mean that someone else does it, or they just don't get bathed? I don't think I have ever heard of someone just not ever bathing their dog. Is there a reason for not bathing them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs